1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is more of a Problem for Blacks in America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Aug 20, 2017.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Charlottesville matters to my personal life as much as about yours

A bunch of stupid kids with tiki candles

Whatever

2. amaru

amaru Member

No need to get defensive because the initial premise to your thread was fatally flawed.

justtxyank likes this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Not being defensive. I think the educated among should not respond look at me there is no problem

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Around 37 million black people in the states and as you put later in your posts, murders are in the thousands. Just from the top of your head you can do the math and say "That isn't a big chunk of the population."

Any other community, yes, you're talking about decimals here though. For me this means that there are areas that are more problematic and should be focused on.

The problem with this conversation is again, when you say "The Black community has problems." you are addressing as Amaru and I are saying...every black person. Instead of just realizing that 95% of black people aren't having these issues, so why lump them in?

When we talk about the Opiod crisis, do we talk about the "White" community? I've never...EVER heard anyone blame the 'White' community when it comes to issues like that, an issue that statistically affects more white people than blacks, but you'll never hear that narrative.

It's still tiny portion, that's the only point.

You want to say that white nationalists are a tiny portion, you're right...but how is one tiny portion of a community not a problem but the other is?

I know one thing, history has shown that crime is inevitable, so it's less of a problem then white nationalism because that is an idea that can grow, spread, and become a problem...that has happened before...that's more than just a boogeyman, it's real possibility.

The ebb and flow of murder numbers will always exist and it is more of a boogeyman for the random white dude worried about black on black crime that isn't ever going to affect him.

It's still roughly the same though, 99% of any race group are not responsible for homicides. When you look at the homicides in Chicago alone then you can maybe crawl to a conclusion that certain areas are spiking this number for black people, instead of it being a 'black' people problem, it is very likely a region problem and a failure of local politics.

If you ask black people in one state about it, it's like...wtf you want me to do about it? The only thing I can do about it is vote for the party that seems most likely to care about that issue.

So posing these questions to the entire black population is puzzling. It's the same tactic used with Muslims as well. Wanting Muslims to denounce every action done by a few, it's a way to tie the many into the actions of a few and group them all together into one easy identifiable group to hit at.

Yes, and a problem is these stereotypes are advanced by these statistics. I can say with certainty, every white nationalist brings up that stat you did.

Let's get it straight, I'm not calling you a racist, I'm not even suggesting that either you or bobby are...just that they in particular LOVE stats like that. It reinforces a stereotype that can't be applied to 99% of a population, it plays on old fears.

I think the main point here is that the homicide numbers has nothing to do with black culture, but simply being human. You put a human in a certain situation, in a densely populated city, with drugs, guns, and little hope...well bad things happen.

London'sBurning likes this.
  5. amaru

amaru Member

All I've seen is people correctly framing the discussion as a plight that afflicts a minority of blacks. This is logical as the actions of a few don't indicate a problem of the whole.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So then never argue that there is a problem within the law enforcement community due to the actions of a few.

7. amaru

amaru Member

Slightly apples and oranges since one group's connection is based on chosen affiliation while the other is simply a forced, somewhat arbitrary grouping based on phenotype.

However, I would agree that the negative actions of a few police officers shouldn't reflect badly on the whole (assuming they had no participation in or knowledge of those actions). If this is what you are suggesting, then this is logical.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They are both a problem and they are related.

DD

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I am with you if you are rejecting identitarianism, but I'm hoping you aren't doing so merely for the sake of this conversation.

For example, if someone was to pass a law for something like voter ID, I certainly hope you wouldn't suggest that was an attack on the black community given that it would only potentially affect a tiny portion of that community.

I just don't like it when people pick and choose when they want to use a certain logic.

10. dmoneybangbang

End the war on drugs.

11. amaru

amaru Member

Based on that little sliver of information I wouldn't be able to reach that conclusion. If that piece of information was presented in conjunction with other evidence, then that conclusion could potentially be reached.

Now I might have a different opinion based on my own biases and experiences but passing off any opinion as a fact based on a tidbit of evidentiary support is just an example of confirmation bias.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

But just so we're clear, so long as it's just a tiny portion, it's not an issue for the black community right?

So for example, Micheal Brown attacking a police officer and getting shot wasn't actually indicative of an issue the black community faces right? Obviously the number of black people who attack police officers is a tiny sliver of the overall community thus by your logic, it's not a problem.

I just want to be clear about what we're saying here, I think I agree with you.

13. amaru

amaru Member

As I said earlier, sharing ancestral heritage with a person does not make their decisions (good or bad) an automatic reflection of me. It can become important to me IF I decided to attach some level of concern to their actions. The actions of a black neurosurgeon don't inherently speak for all black peopl just like the actions of a black murderer don't inherently represent all black people. Now we may feel pride or shame, respectfully, but these are NOT inherent.

In reference to Michael Brown, you cannot take one incidence of anything, make asweeping generalization and expect it to be logical. Now if you were to gather multiple incidents and other supporting evidence then a case could potentially be made.

Opinions, however, can be almost entirely emotionally driven. If you clearly state something as an opinion, then you are generally freed from having to present evidence.

14. zksb09

zksb09 Member

I'm not sure what the point of this question is? Surely you are not trying to minimize the effect of neo-Nazis and white supremacists?
    Perhaps someone else with more knowledge of black on black crime can answer the question.
    However, for many Jewish people and many immigrants of color, neo-Nazis and Klansmen holding torches pose a great threat. They have been growing stronger of late after Trump's election.
    I understand that some, who may not feel threatened themselves, and underestimate the threat of the neo-nazis. But for others and their families, it is much more problematic.
    Here is a recent article on the effect of the effect of emboldened hate groups. Its a pretty good read and brief.
    "
    American Jews hear the footsteps of white nationalists and worry"
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry..._599b03f0e4b01f6e80200036?section=us_politics

#94 zksb09, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The point is we never focus on real problems or we just gloss over them

There have been 400 homicides in Chicago but the media on the Sunday talk shows this past weekend we're calling Charlottesville a national crisis.

Its not just the media, I think a problem is black people too desensitized and accepting of black males in the criminal justice system

Both subjects are about race.

16. conquistador#11

How do you run for presidente when you tell a white person they're more likely to get killed by another white person than by rapist from south of the border or a terrorist? In 2015, the white on white murders were more than black on black.

We need beautiful walls, tremendous army, and FREE butlers or as you may know them, secret service hambres. Forget looking in the mirror and attempting to fix what's wrong within our own country. Greed and bad hambres are everywhere, drain the current swamp!

17. zksb09

zksb09 Member

Yes agree that both are national crises. But why do you juxtapose them? Why ask which is worse?

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The mainstream media will focus on punchy news that grabs headlines. There are still a lot of people who focus and write about crime in predominantly black communities (though you may not agree with what many have to say about it, I don't know). When something is in a perpetual state of awfulness, it no longer becomes a news item that grabs people's attention. That seems like a general rule to me.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Because there isn't enough focus on internal problems that need to be solved from within the community.

There is only so much that can change about outside influences. At some point there needs to be internal focus on problems and solutions

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the problem is when somebody else starts using their accounts pretending to still be them on basketball message boards.