1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is more of a Problem for Blacks in America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Aug 20, 2017.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The problem is broken homes

The government can't fix that

IBTL likes this.
  2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

more broken homes are a symptom. not the disease.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Symptom of what? We can't change the past. Solutions are about moving forward

#103 pgabriel, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  4. tallanvor

lack of opportunity. having less money.

Nook and gifford1967 like this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Hispanics don't have these problems.

They come here and start businesses

They believe in the dream

#105 pgabriel, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  6. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I've written multiple resumes for black entrepreneurs. Maybe avoiding stereotypes is where you start.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Businesses don't wanna be in the ghetto cause its the ghetto

It has to stop being the ghetto

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I grew up in North Forest ISD. It no longer exists. One of the worst districts ever.

When we moved there in 1980, it was mostly middle class.

Even Missouri City has become ghetto

Black neighborhoods fall apart. From Baltimore. America's first thriving black community to fifth ward

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Broken homes lead to less opportunity and having less money though, so I don't think saying that the broken homes is a symptom of the problem is accurate. I would argue that it's the other way around, having less money is a symptom of broken homes.

When you have 72% of black children raised in single parent homes, that's a good way for a group to stay poor. It also partially explains numbers showing that black people are pretty far behind other groups when it comes to household income and home ownership rates. Being a single parent is tough, and getting stuck in a situation like that is one of the best ways to prevent wealth acquisition.

It also goes along with the idea that most of the problems black people face are cultural, not race related or related to racism. It's also why not every black person has those problems because while there is a subculture very popular in black communities that glamorizes poor life choices, that isn't really a barrier to success in that worth a damn parents can always raise their kids the right way to where they reject that subculture. IMO that's what needs to happen. People need to stop running out on their kids and raise them the right way. If those 2 things happened, a LOT of problems would go away.

10. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

With my sister having been a teacher in Aldine ISD for the past 25 years, you are exactly right with the last 2 comments. Most of her students are black and Hispanic, and every Christmas, it's the same discussion- horrible home lives, parents that don't care, etc. Every year for the past 2.5 decades, it never changes. Heck, it's not just with black and Hispanic folks- I have a lot of relatives in the NYC area (due to my mom being one of 9 children), all Caucasian, and the one who raise their kids right have relatively few problems (that includes my cousin and his husband). The ones who don't give a ****, who are suffering from drug abuse and other problems? Their kids, my nieces and nephews, they are trouble.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

When can we discuss white culture and its effects on drug abuse and opioids?

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure it's not a problem that is exclusive to any group, it's just more prevalent in some groups than others and that's why I was bringing it up.

The numbers most people come up with is that the rate for black children is 70+%, Hispanic children is 40+%, white children is 20+%, and Asian children is about 15%. The overall rate for the country is 30+%

I'm not sure how we fix that kind of problem, but if we could, it would fix a lot of other problems.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

At some we have to accept that a lot of problems have to be fixed from within even if their roots start from an unfair history.

No point in debating what the historical causes are. History is well recorded. There has to be effort by the patient just like with medical ailments.

The government cannot fix homes even by giving more money

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Because opiods don't cause community damage like crack

That's even true for black opioid abuse in the seventies

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, you may want to look into that and come back to me.

16. tallanvor

yes but if a parent can't afford a kid they are far less likely to stay around. Low income causes broken homes.

17. amaru

amaru Member

Exactly. The overwhelming majority of black ppl are not in jail and probably won't be here

18. amaru

amaru Member

Plenty of black people come to America and start business or obtain highly sought after degrees.

Don't believe the hype

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree with that. Opioid abuse absolutely does cause damage to the community but there are some differences in that about half of all opioid overdoses are prescription rather than street drugs and they also factor in a lot of elderly patients who either accidentally took too much or intentionally were trying to kill themselves. It's a complex issue.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you can't afford a kid, you shouldn't be making those life choices now should you? Again, that points to a cultural problem. Those types of life choices should be frowned upon, yet they aren't. People who have kids they can't afford and just abandon them should be shunned by society....yet they aren't.

Having children out of wedlock is one of the best things you can do in order to get or stay poor. It's a life choice that literally causes poverty.

IBTL likes this.