1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is more of a Problem for Blacks in America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Aug 20, 2017.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Actually your first post was about the murder rate

My next post was about the overall black male crime rate

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sorry, I searched again, but I really couldn't find that post. Would you mind sharing what happened/why you disappeared?

By the way, does anyone know what happened to Northside Storm? He also disappeared.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Do the same math for the crime rate, it is around 5%

That means 95% of black people are not criminals. In fact, these numbers are similar across each classified racial groups.

Will you drop the narrative now?

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I said black males

And regardless it isn't the five percent, the 300% of the national avg is the problems

When you subtract women the numbers are very very much a problem

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You can do the math for that, my guess is that it's still over 90%.

You are missing the point that this narrative isn't helpful and isn't even true. Did you see the link I posted?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If the rate that black men were committing murder were similar across each racial group, there's no way that such a tiny group could be responsible for such a high percentage of the overall murders in the country.

It's a real problem, a much bigger deal than some kind of boogeyman in Charlottesville.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Being quarantined from the rest of society from Appomattox onward, having to create our own cultural and commercial ecology during the second Industrial revolution, and only being integrated into society after consumer credit and dirt cheap land grant colleges gave non-blacks enough cash, transferable skills and pride to outsource narcotics distribution and non-amateur sports participation to anyone desperate enough to whittle away their intellectually and professionally formative years.

#47 Dairy Ashford, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Nook likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well, we are not talking about the rate, which is really irrelevant to the discussion. Amaru made a point that everyone seems to be missing, it's not anecdotal, not every black community is Chicago. The argument being made here seems to equate what is going on in Chicago to every black community in the nation.

There isn't a set limit to how many murders there that happen each year after all. (And our murder rates in this country are historically low btw...)

The number I could find was 18,631,063 in 2009 black males but it is harder to find stats just for black MALES...but understand that in 2015 there were 4,347 murders accounted to black people.

4,347 of 18,631,063 (or so, since I don't know the 2015 black male population) tell me, isn't that too a boogeyman?

What you have here is that in general, many people are not violent enough to kill, so that a tiny portion of any group can still make up a large % of the murders yes?

The chart from 2015...

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2015/crime-in-the-u.s.-2015/tables/table-43

So really it's quite possible for black men to be overrepresented in murder stats BUT at the same time represent a tiny sliver of a minority of the actual black population, which is the point here.

The problem is taking this narrative and applying it to the majority of the black population instead of focusing on the issue in problem areas like Chicago.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well you don't get 52% of murders in the entire country from 13% of the population if it was truly just "a tiny sliver of a minority" of that 13% of the population....so I'm not sure I buy that. The problem is MUCH more widespread than you are trying to make it seem while at the same time suggesting that the problem of white supremacists which truly is a tiny sliver of a minority of the population is a big problem.

There's simply no way to spin it, crime and poverty in the black community is by far their biggest problems and they have nothing at all to do with racism. They have to do with a sub-culture that glorifies life choices that lead to crime and poverty. We know this because we see all sorts of black people who reject that poisonous sub-culture and prosper. Now it's fair to say that hasn't always been the case, but these days the only limitations (other than physical or mental handicaps) people have are those they put on themselves. Not everyone has as easy a path, but that's life. All you can ask for is a path to success, you can't ask for an easy one.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You don't have to buy it, do the math yourself.

You're not getting that murders there are not that many murders per year.

Did you see the numbers I posted, 4k murders? 4k of how many millions of people?

The point is of murders (which doesn't make up much of the population PERIOD) blacks make up 52% of those murders...but those murderers don't make up much of the black population.

yes, around 1% is a tiny sliver of a minority. I'm not spinning anything, simply stating that yes, 99% of black people are not murderers.

London'sBurning likes this.
  11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

In truth, MOST ALL stated "threats" are TOTAL Boogeyman In the Bushes scare mongering. Everything from terrorists, immigrants, diseases & illnesses, even police killings, they're so LOW in overall #'s and %'s, but they get WILDLY EXTRAPOLATED to stand for the WHOLE.

It is institutional policies and belief systems of groups that truly affect MILLIONS amounts of people. Things like being denied rights to vote in the past, access to resources, propaganda and marketing AGAINST "your kind", etc, those are the elements of wide destructive influence. The crimes can be SYMPTOMATIC of existing problems, not some personality trait of the group.

I think the "Look at Chicago" line is total deflection. A White-Centric group can go into the White House and any govt municipality and turn attention away from people of color, thus enabling "Chicago" problems even more.

London'sBurning and JayGoogle like this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The point is that when the other 87% of the country only account for 48%, it means that 13% is working overtime to make up the remaining 52%. Essentially that the "tiny sliver" in their community has to be one hell of a lot more of their population than it is in ANY other community. That's why I say it's a really big problem.

I was never trying to suggest that "all black people" or "most black people" were responsible, only pointing out the disproportionate percentage of murder that group accounts for.

To put the larger numbers up, as of 2010 there was just under 38 million black people in America. In America there is usually on average about 15,000 murders per year. Using the numbers from the last study available that would mean on average the 38 million person sample committed somewhere around 7,800 murders and the remaining 271 million people committed somewhere around 7,200 murders. While still a minority of the group, one is a MUCH larger minority than the other. In one group, assuming 1 murderer per murder victim it puts the numbers loosely at 1 in 5,000 while the other is something like 1 in 38,000.

There's obviously some problems with how that is figured up, but I think my point remains. All of the boogeyman nonsense about white supremacists being a problem for the black community is just a distraction from the real problems of poverty and crime and the sub cultures that glorify life choices that help perpetuate the cycle of crime and poverty. Now sure you can say that it makes up a tiny percentage of the whole, but by comparison to every other group in the country, it's a massive percentage.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Black People's main problem is (1) Time (2) Foundational Within (3) Low Population #. But enough of PROBLEMS, what are any SOLUTIONS?

Black people HAVE GOTTEN MUCH BETTER, no doubt about that. Just not at an IDEALISTIC ACCELERATED rate for ALL Blacks instead of a few. Blacks still need to clamp down even more on education, smoothening of image & focus, regardless of outside interference ... And NOT for the "White Man's" approval, for themselves.

Why is because though Blacks have been forced in the lowest position, other ethnicities like Asian-Americans still have moved on. Its the "other" affected people example kinda puts Black people on the spot more than Whites.

Black people especially poor Blacks will ALWAYS have a tough time shaking off mistrust of a White dominated system. Partly since Blacks are much OUTNUMBERED by Whites and everyone else, its a feeling of being caved in. But somehow Blacks need to all pool their own resources together (again kinda like what other ethnicities have done). Because, its inconvenient truth, that help will probably never come from outside. The USA principle is to provide opportunity, a path up to the door but no assistance once inside. So time and patience is needed to improve internally.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's a lot easier to rebuild communities when they're not being targeted by banks, corporations, and politicians for profiteering off of their misery. That's basically been the case since blacks were freed from slavery. A systematic targeting of their communities for profit. It's been a vicious war on them.

Shroopy2 likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I couldn't find it either...

The last posts by NSS were getting pretty personal and nasty among different members here. I don't think he/she would return with that same persona or at all

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I believe it was a long period of unemployment, working tables as a waiter, and then starting a plumber's apprenticeship. Or something like that.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@AroundTheWorld

I got banned for criticizing something about the web site

It was right after I started a thread about Basso starting so many threads which got a little heated

Relax Matlock, that's the story

My politics haven't changed

The police shootings of the last few years for instance aren't about politics. They are all individual cases.

#57 pgabriel, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. amaru

amaru Member

You get those responses on Facebook because that is the reality for the overwhelming majority of black people. You are talking about a comparably small segment of a population, yet you reference it as a problem to the entire population.
    As of 2014, approximately 2.3 million black people were in prison systems. As of 2015, there were approximately 41 million black people in the country. Doing some rough math, that's 5% of black people who are behind bars....meaning roughly 95% aren't ( some wiggle room needed for releases, arrests, probation etc. ).

You would probably get different responses if your question was phrased more accurately. We aren't talking about black people as a whole, rather a small section of black people.

Follow up question for anybody really.....why do we spend such an inordinate amount of time discussing the actions of a comparably small subsection of Black America?

19. amaru

amaru Member

Math was already brought up but I'm too lazy to edit this

20. amaru

amaru Member

Lol no it doesn't.

I have no control over the actions of any other person, therefore their actions aren't my problem. Now I can make it my problem if I care enough but it isn't inherently my problem just because we share a (most likely distant) ancestral connection.