1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Packing Pistols Legally on Campus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Apr 10, 2009.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

link

AUSTIN — Legislation allowing state university students and employees to carry their concealed handguns on campus appears to have enough pledged support from lawmakers to pass the full Texas House.

The bill would prohibit public universities across Texas from creating rules that forbid concealed handgun license holders from carrying their pistols into a classroom, but it would allow private institutions to exempt themselves.

Chances for passage in the House — if it gets there — look strong, as 76 members have signed on to support the bill, authored by Rep. Joe Driver, R-Garland.

The House Public Safety Committee already has signed off on the measure. Now, it needs to get scheduled for debate in the full House.

“State after state after state have said no to it … and this committee just chose to ignore them,” said Marsha McCartney, president of the North Texas Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. “I’m not usually surprised about what goes on in Austin, but I am terribly disappointed.”

In the Texas Senate, 13 members have pledged support for an identical measure sponsored by Sen. Jeff Wentworth, R-San Antonio.

If passed and signed into law, it would mark a rare legislative victory for advocates of allowing concealed firearms on campus. Similar proposals have failed in 19 other states since 2008, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

“If it does make it to the Senate floor we also expect it to pass,” said Katie Kasprzack, a spokeswoman for the grass-roots gun group Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. “We’re hearing that the Senate State Affairs (committee) may let the bill die. That’s going to be the biggest hurdle.”

Eleven universities or colleges across the country allow students and employees to carry handguns on campus.

Utah is the only state that prohibits all nine of its public universities from making rules to prevent a concealed handgun license holder from carrying on campus.

In the 23 states that give universities the option to allow it, only two have done so: Colorado State University and Blue Ridge Community College in Virginia. Twenty-four states, including Texas, forbid the possession of a handgun by licensees on their public university campuses, according to a House report.

2. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Hopefully this makes it through.

3. fmullegun

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hqyc37aOqT0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hqyc37aOqT0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Hopefully, this doesn't make it through.

Maybe I'm missing something. Is there an epidemic of campus shootings? I know it's happened a couple of times. Is this law not some stupid knee-jerk reaction to a 1-in-a-million event?

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

You're missing the point. Don't you know all problems can be solved by an armed populace?

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

the solution to gun crime is more guns! really looking forward to that first person who kills an innocent bystander while playing dirty harry on the way to class!

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

you'd don't like the way i coach? how do you like it now (using gun to wave players on to second base)?

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Do you realize how many times I would have used that thing by now? If K and K had a couple up in the stands, we could end all that mess. :D

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Reading the proposed law I would OK with allowing private universities to since as private organizations I think they should have more freedom to decide what can and cannot happen on their property. I think overall this is a bad idea particularly having students carrying guns.

I deal often with college students and while the majority of them are responsible there are quite a few who aren't and I don't think guns need to be added to the mixture of stress, hormones, and alcohal that frequent campus life already.

10. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

This is really terrible news. I don't understand how the legislature could be so irresponsible. As someone who has worked on college campuses for over 12 years now, I have seen my share of violence. I can only imagine what could happen now that people that would not normally bring a gun to campus feel that they have the right to do so now.

11. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Mental note: Save for children to go to college outside Texas in a region with greater sanity.

12. fmullegun

I think you guys are still not understand the difference between allowing something and making something illegal.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Young Republicans across Texas wait with adrenally charged anticipation to confront any non-conformist libpig or pscho-looking malcontent next semester.

High Noon on Texas college campuses is about to get exciting!

Stay tuned.

14. fmullegun

21 and 22 year olds represent 2% of all CHL holders. 18-20 represent 0%

Obviously this law will drastically change habits the amount of guns carried on campus. (that was sarcasm for those to dense to understand)

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I can sense your itchy trigger finger from here.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Take heart, the irresponsible ones probably don't have the initiative and organization to apply for a CHL.

However, I do foresee trouble. Bad decision-making while drunk, gun thefts, intimidation and confrontations escalated by the presence of a firearm (even if no one shoots). All to guard against the very rare but sensational scenario of a killing spree on campus.

17. fmullegun

I did just get in some new "law enforcement only" ammo so that may be the reason.

18. fmullegun

Nothing you have said here being a problem is being made legal on or off a campus by this new bill.

I find it sadly two-faced when people downplay the mass killings to keep CHL holders from carrying, yet highly important when banning handguns. I am not saying you have done this cause I do not remember your posting history.

19. fredred

fredred Member

Last I checked, the biggest school shooting in Texas history (the UT Tower) took place when students were allowed to have guns on campus, look at that deterring effect!

20. fmullegun

It was legal to carry handguns on campus in the 1960's? Oh wait, you are totally wrong.

It is noted that the only people able to limit his ablity to shoot people were the civilians with rifles though. So wrong info but it brought out good info!