1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Packing Pistols Legally on Campus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Apr 10, 2009.

1. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

i hope not, i go to UT and the last thing i want is going to class with people who are strapped...top 10% lets in alot of dumb asses, whom i don't trust. this is a very bad idea

2. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

we aren't concerned of 100s of people shooting up schools, we're concerned with that ONE person who could, and we just made it easier for him to do it. just because it is difficult to get the license does not make it impossible for them to get one, and i would much rather not take the risk of someone obtaining one and going nuts

even for austin, this is beyond my understanding

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Sure, make fun of the word spelled wrong. That is easier than actually talk about the issue at hand. We can also have this discussion in dutch, if you do not want any misspelled words. Oh wait you can't have this discussion in dutch. But let just pretend that you were trying to be funny, and not trying to insult me. And don't worry I will not quit my job, and even if I did you are right i would not have any difficulties finding a new job with my high intellect and Qualifications. Let not make this personal.

Since I live in the Netherlands I'm pretty confident that there are no students who carry guns to class. The problem is that student can get very emotional when they get bad news. And when you have some very emotionally disturbed person and you have to tell them that they have to stop their study because their results are not good enough, I really do not want that person to carry a gun. I know that in most cases nothing happens, but only 1 crazy person with an stupid reaction in the heat of the moment is enough.

4. Dan B.

Dan B. Member

Weren't all the gunmen who have been shooting people recently legally licensed to carry?

5. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Hmmm... if this actually happens, I imagine home-schooling will become more prominent.

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would like to see somebody with a home-schooled college degree.

7. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Then why are you in this thread? Seriously your culture is totally different and you would have as much trouble understanding Texas culture as I would your culture.

8. LScolaDominates

I think it's a good thing to have people with diverse backgrounds in a discussion.

9. fmullegun

If they are really as dumb as you say they are likely

not able to get a CHL

have a CHL and carry on campus anyways regardless of the law

Changing the law does not alter behavior as much as you guys think. You can put up all the speed limits you want to but if the freeway is clear people are gonna drive 65-75mph regardless of the limit.

10. fmullegun

I agree on theoretical but he personally said he would quit his job when there is 0% risk of the condition he set ever happening.

Some of us would like to carry where we are 80% of our day. We do not see a difference in carrying at school or at a pizza place. The amount of CHL accidental shootings in a public place is 0.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No, just the ones that were spectacular enough to make the national headlines.

12. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

OK, guess I need to chime in then... Lived in Texas for 32 of my 36 years. I am a college advisor as well, in Texas, have been for over a decade now.

18-21 year olds are not the only people on a college campus. Students are more age diverse than they ever have been at the undergraduate level and graduate students have always been age diverse. Not to mention the thousands on workers on college campuses. The 18-21 year old CHL argument is moot.

Most college campuses have very small and ill-equipped police departments that are used to dealing with parking violations and breaking up parties. They are not equipped to deal with armed gunman on campus.

Allowing students, staff, and faculty to arm themselves will lead to tragedy, it is only a matter of time. This is a terrible idea.

13. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I will never understand this mentality. Ever.

14. fmullegun

congrats on not understanding why different cultures cannot easily understand each other. expand your mind. We are not all the same.

15. fmullegun

How much difference, in terms of # of guns on campus, do you seriously believe will occur if the law restricting CHL holders is removed?

Will non CHL holders get a CHL to carry on campus? Unlikely

Will CHL holders who didn't carry on campus now do it? Unlikely, because if it is important to them they probably already are.

16. fmullegun

Neither Richard Poplawski or the vietnamese guy had a CCW.

17. Mulder

I think both of those statements are false. Someone that works on campus MAY now go get a CHL to carry their weapon on campus.

The second statement undercuts all of your arguments. Why are they passing a bill if those with CHL's wouldn't then carry on campus because they haven't so far because it has been illegal? Are saying that CHL holders are currently breaking the law? Doesn't that contradict the theme you have been espousing in other posts?

Bottom line: More guns on campus, legal or not, is a bad thing. Nothing good can come from it. NOTHING. College campuses can be highly charged venues, emotionally and politically. I was at a protest at UT for Harry Wu the Chinese dissident. If MORE guns were available on campus then it would have been a problem. I was at a Texas Tech vs A&M game. It was HIGHLY charged with rivalry and it was not nice at times. There were fights and if guns are injected into that it would be terrible.

I make my living being on campus, I see the drama that plays out here daily. I will have to second guess EVERY discussion in my office and in class that I have with students, staff, and faculty. I have seen unstable people on campus. I have seen otherwise normal people lose their cool on campus. I have seen physical confrontations that you do not normally see in everyday life occur on campus. Adding guns to the mix is a BAD IDEA.

18. Mulder

Vietnamese guy? If you are talking about West Virginia, Seung-Hui Cho was a Korean National (not that the Korean community is proud of it...)

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

CHL holders already bring their guns on campus. Unless they start patting them down at the door, that's not going to change.

The psychos that might shoot up a school/classroom are going to get their guns in somehow, regardless of whether it is allowed or not.

What I'm worried about is the gun-holders who don't have a CHL that aren't going to shoot up a college campus, but might be a little hot-headed and pull out their gun during a minor altercation. It might be beneficial to have a few more students on campus get a CHL to help protect others in this type of situation. I don't think you're going to really see the amount of guns on campus drastically increase, because there is nothing stopping anyone now from carrying on campus that wants to. Ultimately you'll end up with a few more responsible gun-holders that go out and get their CHL.

20. Dan B.

Dan B. Member

Pretty sure he's referring to the Binghampton shooter.

Who had a license to carry

According to the Pittsburgh shooter's best friend, so did Poplawski