1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Packing Pistols Legally on Campus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Astro101

Astro101 Member

I'm all for gun rights and stuff...but I dunno if I like this.

Mainly because then I'm gonna have to be careful about stalking girls on campus.

2. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

females are much less likely to have a CHL so I would not worry about that aspect.

They do carry pepper spray though so keep an eye out for that.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What's the worse that could happen?

How could this go wrong?

Rocket River

4. fmullegun

[​IMG]

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In an article I posted in another thread it noted that the most recent spate of mass killings was done by people who got their guns through legal means. The argument that mass killings is justification for relaxing gun control belies the fact that relaxing gun control also means that potentially more mentally unsound people can get hold of guns. Futher if CHL is relaxed you have a greater specter of more mentally unsound people carrying guns into all sorts of situations with law enforcement being unable to stop them until they actually start shooting.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

The symptoms of lead poisoning may include:

Irritability
    Aggressive behavior
    Low appetite and energy
    Difficulty sleeping
    Headaches
    Reduced sensations
    Loss of previous developmental skills (in young children)
    Anemia
    Constipation
    Abdominal pain and cramping (usually the first sign of a high, toxic dose of lead poison)
    Very high levels may cause vomiting, staggering gait, muscle weakness, seizures, or coma

7. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

^^ says quick draw mcgraw

[​IMG]

8. fmullegun

get it right!
    :mad:
    [​IMG]

9. fmullegun

yeah that's why JHP ammo is better. The FMJ stuff has the lead exposed to the combustion which causes sublimation of the lead.

10. fmullegun

1. Well most of the relaxation of gun control arguments are talking about allowing concealed carry, not having anything to do with purchase.

2. Why would reducing the places CHL holders can legally go increase the number of mentally unsound people carrying guns? Mentally unsound people are not legally allowed to have a gun or a CHL.

11. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Every time the gun subject comes up, I see the same arguments. Some would make it seem as though everybody would have guns and anarchy would result. People that would seriously make this argument:

1. Have obviously not looked at what it takes to get a CHL in Texas. It isn't like you go and get them at 7-11.

2. Ignore that it is a very small percentage of people that have a CHL.

3. Ignore that in this situation, as noted, only 2% of that small number of CHLs are of normal college age.

4. Ignore that those that obtain a CHL are very well trained and are usually very responsible with their guns.

All of that being said, I lean toward the side that a college campus isn't the place for firearms.

12. RocketsBearFan

Hmmm, guns, underage drinking, and a bunch of emotional college kids. Nothing bad could possibly come from this.

13. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

I agree 1-4, but the last statement, I'll say that the place for firearms is anyplace that a law-abiding citizen could be targeted by a lunatic intent on killing people. Schools seem to be an attention-getting target. Are people not allowed to protect themselves, unless it's on their own property?

14. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

It is the same rationale as not wanting people carrying guns into Minute Maid Park. At a large college, you have all of the staff plus 40,000 students congregating there Monday through Friday. I just feel better without the invite to bring your gun.

That being said, I believe that the campus police should be armed to the teeth and should be very visible all over campus. It can be done.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There have been arguments regarding closing gun show and other loopholes.

Yet Cho, the killer at V-Tech, was able to legally buy guns even though he had a history of mental problems.

16. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Sometimes i just do not get the Pro-gun people. This is one of the dumbest ideas i have ever heard.

I work at a University as student advisor, if they would allow students to carry guns I would Quite my job without hesitation.

17. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

You don't think that there arent' already students who carry guns on your campus? Does anyone have any statistics regarding crimes committed by CHL permit holders? I bet it's extraordinarily low. I went to dinner a couple of weeks ago with a friend from work and her husband who's a sergeant in the Houston Police Department. He said that he has never had gun-related issues with a CHL carrier. He deals with guns daily but they are all criminal thugs.

So, I don't know what side I come down on with regard to guns on campus, however, if they do allow it, it's not like everyone will be able to show up packing. You still have to get a CHL and, statistically, people who hold CHLs are not very likely to get in trouble.

Info from some site called JustFacts.com. I have no idea which way they lean (but I did find this link on the Democratic Underground forum:

http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp

Highlights

* Florida adopted a right-to-carry law in 1987. At the time the law was passed, critics predicted increases in violence. The founder of the National Organization of Women, Betty Friedan stated:

"lethal violence, even in self defense, only engenders more violence." (13)

* When the law went into effect, the Dade County Police began a program to record all arrest and non arrest incidents involving concealed carry licensees. Between September of 1987 and August of 1992, Dade County recorded 4 crimes committed by licensees with firearms. None of these crimes resulted in an injury. The record keeping program was abandoned in 1992 because there were not enough incidents to justify tracking them. (13)(15)

* 221,443 concealed carry licenses were issued in Florida between October of 1987 and April of 1994. During that time, Florida recorded 18 crimes committed by licensees with firearms. (15)

* As of 1998, nationwide, there has been 1 recorded incident in which a permit holder shot someone following a traffic accident. The permit holder was not charged, as the grand jury ruled the shooting was in self defense. (7)

* As of 1998, no permit holder has ever shot a police officer. There have been several cases in which a permit holder has protected an officer's life. (7)

#37 111chase111, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  18. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

Sorry to double-post. Here are some reports from the Texas DPS regarding Conviction Rates among the general public vs. CHL permit holders:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/convrates.htm

Each report is a PDF and they are very easy to read. It's just a list of crimes with one column indicating the number committed by non-CHL permit holders, a column indicating the number of crimes committed by CHL permit holders and the percentages.

I think of all the crimes listed in 2006, in only four cases did CHL permit holders break ONE percent of the Percentage of Total Convictions and that was mostly because so few people in general committed those particular crimes.

19. fmullegun

Well I am sure someone with your high intellect and qualification would have no problem finding employment.

People carry on campus already. I would "quite" now if I were you.

20. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

It's always classy to poke fun of those for whom English isn't a first language.