1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Thoughts & Prayers, May 31 2019 Edition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, May 31, 2019.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Let's do this!

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Both Virginia Senators have confirmed they are sending at least prayers.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

#T&Ps

SamFisher likes this.
  4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Mock on. Give blood regularly

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Giving blood is a very good thing to do. I commend you if you do it regularly.

It's also okay though if people want their government to reflect the majority will of the people on sensible gun law reform. It's been discussed here so many times. Lots of conservatives and libs agree on the core basics. Having known people in these mass shooting situations (and who have died by the much more common forms of gun violence), it does make me angry to hear T&P from elected officials, from both parties, who basically make no sincere efforts to reflect the will of the people. We don't elect people to just tweet condolences. I'm sure you agree. Cheers.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I was the individual that bumped every single shooting thread when one happened. Eventually you could probably canvas the entire first page with different mass shooting threads.

Give blood!

7. SamFisher

Does not seem like a solution for the 12 martyrs who bleed out on First Freedom mountain today.

Try harder.

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Not news really, but such a pain that THE CONSTITUTION as interpreted by 5 conservatives a few years ago makes this happens in America a modern country when someone goes nuts.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

We should make murder illegal.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yet another terrible event. I hope I live long enough to see our country bring these tragedies to an end, or at least make them an extremely rare occurrence. Today, as we have all seen, that is simply not the case. This is happening with disturbing regularity.

Some of us have been around long enough to recall when a mass shooting of this kind would have stunned the nation and for weeks on end. The shooting at the UT campus, for example. I remember that very well. My sister was going to UT at the time and just happened to be away from the campus. This? I am shocked and I feel for the victims who survived, their families, and the families who lost loved ones. Yet I am not stunned, not like I have been in years past. This is happening again and again. We cannot allow ourselves to become numb to these killings. We just can't. Something has to be done about it.

11. SamFisher

Yes this is exactly the way it used to be.

We used to be a country in the pre smartphone era where things like Columbine or the Lubys shooting or whatever would capture our attention for a whole week. Our legislators would respond with things like the Brady bill.

Now we collectively shrug/troll/cry etc while even the most basic common sense legislation, with near unanimous support, like universal background checks, bleeds out, courtesy of one weak flabby old man and his enabling gang of hoary sacks of pasty flesh: Mitch McConnell

B-Bob, AroundTheWorld and Deckard like this.
  12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Virginia beach is a cool place and this is terrible. Blaming mitch mcconnel is a reach in my opinion.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

14. Buck Turgidson

Virginia Beach is indeed a great place, and Mitch McConnell is to blame for a myriad of the issues in our current political system. Not exclusive.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The House passed a bipartisan overwhelmingly popular (97% of the public) and reasonable background check law in February. mcconnell has blocked it in the Senate.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/440844-pelosi-blasts-mcconnell-for-not-taking-up-house-bills

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Would the tightened up background checks helped in this situation? What is the point of politicizing the shooting less than 12 hours after it occurred?

17. NewRoxFan

You asked why people would blame mcconnell... I simply answered your question.

But when all else fails... fall back to the "politicizing" defense (unless it was an illegal alien... then all holds barred). The timing of my call for action is less important than the call itself. The House acted. Its way past time the republican-led Senate acts.

Would tightened background checks have helped prevent this mass shooting? Perhaps, perhaps not. But it may prevent the next. And it may have prevented many that happened in the past.

Almost every American (91% of Democrats, 79% of republicans) favor this type of background check legislation to ensure that only responsible people purchase guns.

Deckard likes this.
  18. SamFisher

When's the acceptable interval for you to go back to being a trolling shitbird - 24 hours? 3 days? One day per child who lost a parent or vice versa?

The legislation predates this and is common sense regardless of your nonexistent sensibilities being not offended.

If you're one of the tiny minority of sociopaths who disagrees - May you shoot your dick off one day.

19. NewRoxFan

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Cohete, let me try to explain. Making something illegal does not mean it never occurs. Murder is already illegal, so that will not help.

The man obviously had a mental disorder. And, "no", making mental illness illegal will not help either. Often times it is a genetic condition, aggravated by stress.

In virtually all other of the 20 richest countries in the world, the shooter would be equally enraged, but would not have the weapon to kill so many. Who knows, maybe if the person has a union or some sort of due process at work, maybe he would not have been so enraged. Maybe if he had better access to mental health treatment that would have helped. No time to explain these issues to you, also. Let, me just say when it comes to rights at work or mental health access we are low compared to most of the other 20 countries.

Now making the sale and distribution of these weapons illegal would in the vast majority of these shootings prevent these deaths. Again I repeat that making the sale, possesion and distribution of these weapons, other than by a "well regulated militia" would not means those acts would never occur.