1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo and how his offense can make the Rockets defense better.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jun 15, 2014.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

On the surface, it would seem that bringing in a below average to average defender wouldn't help the Rockets defense, but I feel fans are forgetting that Carmelo Anthony is, well, Carmelo Anthony.

Despite our overall mediocre defense, the Rockets are actually very good in some areas. Our problem mainly comes from the following areas.

1. Poor transition defense.
    2. Poor defensive rebounding.

Otherwise, in a half court setting, the Rockets are quite good on defense. Now let's see what Melo brings to the table.

1. Transition Defense - No. Melo isn't a good defender in transition. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen him defend in transition. But what Melo CAN do is lower the number of opposing transition opportunities. Melo is one of the most ball secure stars in the NBA. His style is incredibly safe. 9.4 TO rate the past two season is significantly better than Durant's 13, Lebron's 13.4, Harden's 15, and Dwight's 17. The last two are players Melo will take possessions for.

Having Melo means the Rockets will gamble less on offense and thus leading to less fast break opportunities for the opponent.

2. Defensive rebounding - The Rockets were 20th in defensive rebounding last year. And you don't need stats to see this. Just watch the Rockets games. The Rockets have a habit of gambling on rebounding just like they do on offense. Their perimeter players leak out for those cool ESPN highlight dunks. They don't box out. Just overall very lazy rebounding team. But in comparison, they are one of the best transition teams. This skews their overall data more towards offense. Meaning the Rockets offense is worse than the numbers, but defense better than their numbers.

Bring in Melo, one of the best half court scorers in the game. And suddenly the Rockets won't have to run as much. In high leverage minutes in the 4th quarter, the Rockets can play much safer. Keep everyone in to get rebounds. Let Melo create in half court. Safe, methodical play.

tl;dr version: Offense and defense are connected and should not be viewed as separate entities. Melo may not bring in great defense, but incredible half-court scoring skills can put the Rockets in position to play better team defense.

2 people like this.
  2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I know you put in work to justify trying to trade for melo and all,but I think its just a terrible fit with he and harden. I mean, 2 super iso guys who are bad defenders. Transition,close-out,and effort,they're bad. I could accept bad defenders based on physical limitations,but being bad defenders because of effort is not what I would like to see.

Even offensively,you act as though carmello shoots a lebron-like 57% from the field. He doesn't,he's a rudy gay-ish type of shooter. Not only that,he's even worse in the playoffs. So now we will have 2 volume shooters in the playoffs who shoot sub 40%? Not thanks

3. FeaR

FeaR Member

Harden= super iso :rolleyes:

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I don't understand this at all.

Theoretically, a player can overcome poor effort but never his physical limitations.

-----------------
    Harden is young, he can improve defensively. Chandler will pick up his defensive efforts as he won't need to look to score as much anymore. I may be in the minority, but I believe Melo can be a much better defender at the 4 spot as opposed to the 3; he's mobile enough to keep up with the rangy types and posses sound footwork and a big body for the guys who like to post up.

Defense is a team effort and that doesn't mean the individual cogs need to each be plus defenders.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Harden's a bad defender whether or not Melo's on the team. DMo and Jones are bad defenders whether or not Melo's on the team.

Not bringing in Melo doesn't solve any of those issues.

Melo's TS% right before he went to NY was .564. In comparison, LeBron's last 3 years playoff TS% were .563, .576, .583. This year he's been off the charts, but not traditionally.

Yes, Melo's playoff numbers faltered *shockingly* when he went from a team with star players to one where he's the only offense.

6. Remii

Remii Member

But I believe those players are more efficient scorers (and some or playmakers as well). Melo is a chunker. So he makes up for TO's with miss shots and then gets burned in transition defense on the outlet pass.

I agree that better offense will help the defense and a good point guard would serve the same purpose (Rondo, Bledsoe, etc). It seems to me the Rockets get down on the defensive end whenever their offense goes to 5h!t.

But if Melo comes knocking on our door _ I don't think we could slam it in his face.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Just a perfect scenario for a team that lacks ball movement and defense. More egos in the room too..just perfect.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Melo's TS is really only low because he doesn't get a lot of free throws, which is probably a good thing considering the refs are already looking at waving fouls off on us because of the sheer volume that Dwight and Harden are capable of getting, however his turnovers are somewhat of a product of how little he passes, it's not like Harden and Lebron are picking up those turnovers on just scoring attempts.

I'm the last person that would be called a LoF, and even though he doesn't help himself with the way he gets out of control, that kid needs to get mugged to get free throws a lot of the time, and he's not alone.

Melo's 3 point shooting for a guy who doesn't really shoot out of the corners at all is phenomenal, if that would then push chandler back into the corners, where he is excellent, it would be a win on both ends, the other one that Harden gets complaints for, the late clock pass is born out of a habit of an elite bail out shooter (Durant) and would be similar with Melo.

#8 Aleron, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  9. bmd

bmd Member

If I recall correctly, the Rockets are the best defensive transition team in the league...

10. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

the Rockets need an Ibaka or Boozer, like a tough defender and soso offense... not a Carmelo who cant defend and play in a system. Although i think they SHOULD get Carmelo only to continue his coach destroying patterns. If he can get McHale fired when the Rockets get swept in the playoffs or event don't make it, then I think it will be worth the risk. If you get a good team, the system will still lose to the Spurs system so really the number one reason to get Carmelo is to kick out McHale and I'm all for that.

11. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

12. shastarocket

Boozer?

tough????

defender????

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Also, Ibaka-type defenders are not available

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

It's a shame it takes epic failure to get a Houston coach fired (see Kubiak). We need to do better.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

two thumbs up.

now we just need a coach who can come up with a better half court offensive game plan than iso melo, iso dwight, iso harden.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's very simple really. He's not a worse defender than the starter he's replacing so we won't be worse. Plus the coaching staff is getting a better defensive coach and focusing more on defense. Plus we have the minimum and possible the MLE to get other defensive players.

The boost in offense is simply worth it.

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Indeed, did you not know that Boozer is a good defender?

As good a defender as he is, I would prefer a tougher player and a beter defender than Boozer like Bargnani:grin:

17. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Im going to go with Melo makes the Rockets better defensively because now Morey can go out and pay decent coin for a defensive wing.

18. shastarocket

This is genius.

Bargs is also a stretch 4/5!

How could I have missed this?

Excuse me while I change my pants

1 person likes this.
  19. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

20. shastarocket

We need more highlight reels to get this hype train moving

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tPpEMDGO8Y8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Take special note of the devastation at 3:03