1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo and how his offense can make the Rockets defense better.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jun 15, 2014.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I agree. Let's trade him for defensive stalwart Kevin Love.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Dwayne Wade disagrees.

And if you actually bothered about to look into our defense you would see what is keeping our defensive rating down is rebounding and forcing turnovers.

3. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Yeah, 3 time All-Defensive Second Team Dwayne Wade disagrees.

4. langal

langal Contributing Member

The name "BOOZER" sounds tough. Especially in all caps. Good enough for me.

5. Zergling

Zergling Member

I'd rather have Love with his superior defensive rebounding and he can similarly stretch the floor and is younger than Melo.

But yes, your main point is spot on. Unlike baseball and football, offense/defense are very much related in basketball.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

The idea is to prevent transition opportunities in the first place. Because even the "best" transition defense is much worse than the worst half court defense. To say that opponents miss their layups more often against us is kind of pointless.

Synergy page is a bit slow for me. But according to teamrankings, Rockets are 22nd in total fast break points given up. It's a product of their high turnovers.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, does it matter the reason behind this? The result is what matters. Melo's TS% on the Knicks the past two years have been .561. That's Chandler Parsons territory. And he did this without transition baskets, without floor spacing, without stars around him, having to take all the bad shots, and without going to the line like crazy.

Daryl Morey stated that one of the reasons for Harden's struggles against Portland was that Portland played great transition defense. You know who's awesome when opponents take away those free baskets? Carmelo Anthony.

1 person likes this.
  8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Obviously you don't watch the NBA.

Wade has been downright terrible defensively in these finals.

Zero effort and yet they are a contender.

9. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

The problem with your theory is that the Spurs run not only on turnovers, but made and missed shots. They push the ball all the time to see if they can get an easy bucket. If not they still have enough time to run their set offense.

I would like to see some data on how quickly the Spurs get the ball across half court compared to the Rockets. Seemed to me Dwight would take his sweet time getting the ball to the guards because he didn't want to run a fast paced offense.

Even if your crazy theory was true our top #3(of 16) rated playoff offense wont make our #16 rated playoff defense good enough to get us into the conference finals. The Heats #2 playoff offense couldn't beat the Spurs #2(Wizzards D ranted#1 because they played poor offensive teams Bulls and Pacers) playoff defense.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's MUCH easier to get back on defense after a made shot or even a missed shot than a turnover. What you say only raises the importance of not turning the ball over as much the way Lin and Harden plays.

11. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Yes I know we have been #28 in live ball TOVs. The problem is that Harden would still be a wing defender who when he doesn't have the ball in his hands has to get back 1st or 2nd on D. We all know Harden is terrible at transition D. That's why they tried to separate Lin and Harden. If Lin had a live ball TOV it usually meant 2pts for the other team because Harden was horrible at getting back. I wrote about this in the 2012-2013 season after a Denver game when it was close until Harden let guys get by him on 3 transition(one was on a made basket) plays.

Beverley could be much better at it too, but he's usually in the corners looking for 3PA and then around the rim ball hawking for OREBs. I think Lin and Parsons are the best at getting back on transition D, but this is only part of our overall defensive weakness.

This is why I don't understand why people want to bring in Melo, Rondo and Lowry to mask or change Harden's game. The one thing that makes him an all NBA 1st team player is his ability to attack the basket/draw fouls and transition(pace) offense. If you do that(change his game) then he becomes OKC 6th man Harden and not worth the max.

I'll be honest when I first read that Kevin Love wanted out of Minny I thought to myself Love for Harden because I know Harden is a liability even with his great offensive game. As you(or someone else) said, in the playoffs his attack the basket to draw fouls tactic doesn't work like it does in regular season. I just didn't have the balls like Carl has to start a trade Harden tread. :grin:

12. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Although most is looking at Melo as a stretch 4. I'm looking him as a direct replacement for Parsons. He gives everything that Parsons is capable of and more.

13. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

1st quarter: Howard Iso, 2nd quarter: Melo Iso, 3rd quarter Harden Iso, 4th quarter alternate Harden and Melo iso.

14. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Well, it's true that I'm partly basing my emotional statement here on a memory of Morey talking about the relative unimportance of coaching at some point -- I don't remember the context, I may even have incorrectly understood what he was trying to say... so I'm going to spend some time trying to look into what he's said in the past... does anyone have any of that?

Maybe you can quantify the results of certain systems for certain combinations of players with certain skillsets... maybe you can't. Maybe Morey's team tries to do that, maybe not... just thought that at one point he basically had said that the data showed that coaching really didn't matter much... ??? It does seem to me that the best coaches are imaginative in adapting their systems to match skillsets of players, maximizing the players' potential within the system. And that imaginative analysis could begin to model that to some extent?

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Morey has a tendency to use economics when he talks, which can be easily misunderstood if not viewed in a proper context. The actual matter is all fans intuitively agree with Morey, but the way Morey said it made it seem like he's making a shocking revelation when he's really spouting common sense.

Basically Morey believes that for a team to move the needle from mediocrity to contention, the important thing is star players. Because star players make teams drastically better, where coaching changes generally result in roughly the same impact. It's not like the Rockets haven't experienced this first hand. Replacing Rudy with JVG didn't change the Rockets record until T-Mac came. Replacing JVG with Adelman didn't change the Rockets record until Morey's new players, Landry, Scola, Artest, etc. started playing. Replacing Adelman with McHale didn't change things until Harden and Howard got here.

I don't know if Morey has specifically commented on Popovich or any coach specifically. I'm guessing NBA rules prevent him from speaking about coaches on other teams. But given that no coach of Popovich's caliber has ever entered coaching free agent market, it's impossible to know if Morey would actually snag up a coach he believes does move the needle.

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It's probably because Melo has played the 4 the last 2 years

17. valorita

valorita Member

You can argue that a great offense is the best defense... Or you can actually play better defense. Just sayin.
    There are times when your offense will not flow. In that case, you have to be able to rely on your defense to get crucial stops.
    We didn't lose to Portland cuz of offensive ineptitude, we lost because we could not stop Aldridge and Lillard on key possessions.
    True contenders are top 10 in offense and defense. No way around it.

18. joesr

joesr Member

Wouldnt CP25 be playing the wing? I dont understand this side of the debate. You are talking about a back to CP25 so that player will be playing, what, 14 minutes? Is that enough????

All Melo would do is make us the funnest team to watching during the regular season but once the playoffs start, it will be the same story!

19. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Thanks, meh, that's helpful. I can see how elite players move the needle the most; I would like to think that more can be done through combining analytics with coaching than we have witnessed yet... thanks again for the perspective.

20. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I wanted to bring up other advantages that haven't been brought up yet.

Melo matches up very well with Kevin Durant and OKC.

Carmelo Anthony Vs Kevin Durant

[​IMG]
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=anthoca01&p2=duranke01

Even using recent games, the average has favored Carmelo. And if you factor in Anthony playing for less talented Knick teams he still usually wins, 11-2 for their careers.

Against the Spurs he scores less but scores on the same efficiency vs Kawhi Leonard. They likely deny him the ball or lessen his shots, but Howard is a mismatch against Duncan and Splitter, they can't stop him. Harden plays well against Green and Manu. With Melo on the Rockets they can't deny him the ball or double team him as much.