1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo and how his offense can make the Rockets defense better.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jun 15, 2014.

1. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I forgot to add this.

[youtube]634rB9J6Y8o[/youtube]

He's too big and physical for Durant and Sefolosha, and too fast and good of an outside shooter for Ibaka.

2. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Anything before the last two years probably isn't a good comparison because KD still was under 24. He has improved his overall game and posted career high PERs the last 2 years and become the #1 or #2 best player.

3. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I could tell you why PER is a bad stat, but I'll leave that for another time as it doesn't really pertain as much to these two.

But to respond to your point, the game I posted above is from last year. Durant was 24 and had 1.5 less PER (I really don't even like typing it to use it in a point lol.)

He outplayed Carmelo this year pretty well in the single game they played, but this is one of the worst supporting casts Anthony has a had to play with in his career (watch some 2014 knicks games on league pass archive, outside of Carmelo they're terrible). Durant's job is significantly easier with Westbrook, Ibaka etc. and his team is much better this year.

Even with his worse supporting casts, Carmelo beat Durant during his finals year with all OKC's talent. Click the link I posted, just about every other game they played, Carmelo has either won or played favorably against him or both. 11-2 and those averages aren't a coincidence imo.

Remember Durant is the same player who lead the league in scoring in his third year at age 21, four years ago. He's been in the league seven years.

I'm not saying Melo is better, just saying he matches up well against OKC which he does.

4. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

I was using PER to show that the last two years were KD's best overall years. I'm sure any other STAT you want to pull up or even the eye test would prove it. Yes KD's been around a while, but his overall game didn't really go to another level until recently, so your career match up data is kind of misleading and skewed toward the older more experienced Melo. That's all I'm saying.

So if you use the last 2 years data the match up is pretty much 50/50, but the sample size is too small.

5. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I'm not debating KD is at his best in recent years or melo has more experience, you're right. I share points for people to consider and the get to the truth of things which is why I post links for transparency, people can fact check themselves, I have no interest in winning a conversation (not saying your are either) and I don't mind being wrong and admitting it to learn from others.

But you just said yourself it's 50/50 the last two years, all while KD has had a better supporting cast and Melo has no all star player to defer to as the focal point on offense.

I said in the original post you can even use recent years and he still matches up well and or wins against OKC, there is nothing misleading if you click the link I provided and see for yourself.

Why not look at the past three years when OKC was dominant enough as a team to go to the finals? Or when KD won his first scoring title at age 23 four years ago?

Anyhow, if you don't think Melo matches up well with OKC we can agree to disagree. I respect your right to your own opinion.

6. Madclownpacasum

I hope Dmory can watch the beautiful game or how the spurs the Heat and the team that eliminated us. The blazers. Team defense and teamwork. Its not about 3rd ****ing star. Anx im ****ing okay with chandler parsons. His a real team player

7. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

His defensive effort scares me.

But...

He is a pretty good re-bounder 8.1/game, 40% from 3pt (stretch 4). He also gives us a mid-range game that we desperately need sometimes (even though that's not Morey's MO). We can't always "live by the 3, die by the 3". Dwight should have a field day.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He should also watch last year's version of the Beautiful Game too. What the Spurs did was stunning. Running plays to get Danny Green wide open. Miami was clueless. Their offense looked just as smooth last year as it did this year. You could shoot a video that IMO looks even better than this year's.

But guess what happened at the end last year? They lost to a team with 3 stars.

Miami has 4 finals appearances and 2 titles playing with 3 stars. The Spurs have... half of that to show for, playing their current style of the "Beautiful Game" with slim Tim Duncan.

There's more than 1 way to win... and usually, it's players that win games.