1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo and how his offense can make the Rockets defense better.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Basically the OP is saying, our defense would be better off if we didn't run that much. And since Melo is a good half court scorer, he would turn us into a half court offensive team, and thus make us a better defensive team.

Do you buy this logic?

2. SHOKI3

SHOKI3 Member

Would rather persue chris bosh when the heat loses in the finals this year.chris bosh is a perfect fit stretch we need.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good overall point, OP. I'm not in Love* with bringing in Melo as our 3rd guy, but I too think he would only help.

*SWIDT

Even for someone who just started watching basketball in 2012, this is pretty bad.

4. SHOKI3

SHOKI3 Member

Fixed

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uKZ3Zc8KDqY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I see the potential as a solid weak-side defender next to Dwight.

6. thiefery

thiefery Member

I think Anthony could work well with both James and Dwight. Unfortunately I just don't see McHale using them correctly. Team can still push the pace, but don't want that helter skelter style that stops in the playoffs

7. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

Who the hell complains about bringing in a SUPERSTAR??!!!
    Did you see what happened to us in the playoffs? We didn't have anyone step up besides Howard. He will help us tremendously. People who say they would rather have Boozer....
    No other talent is willing to come to houston this offseason and it seems as if he's our only chance to form a big 3. You do it in a heartbeat, when there's a chance to improve the talent level on your team, you do it and worry about how to puzzle it all together after.
    Common sense people.

8. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

Unless Lebron leaves Miami, he's is the best free agent this year

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Melo will make Us a better defensive team by opening up exceptions to use on defensive minded players.

10. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

My apologizes I know nothing of Chicago, I meant defensive player like Joakim Noah. Boozer "looks" like he can hurt you though:grin:.

Hell maybe even Borris Diaw is a better fit.

11. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

Lol OK no fkin Boozer, what about Noah or even a Zack Randolf??
    Anthony is toxic, ask anyone who is a Nuggets or Knicks fan. Hell anyone who's played with Anthony if they even like him.

12. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Melo shoots a poor percentage because he's playing with a bunch of hot garbage, on a team with Dwight & Harden I'd be really surprised if he shot below 50%.

13. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Rockets were one of the best teams in terms of transition defense in ppp according to Synergy.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I won't argue with you on the defense part, but if Morey is interested in Carmelo then there has to be a reason right?

I can't think of another regime in the NBA who has put so much effort into modeling players' performances, not just as how they currently are, but also as how they would be in different roles. With Harden, Morey KNEW that guy would become a star if you took him off the bench and put the ball in his hands. It's a risk you take.

With Carmelo, Morey must be looking at what he did with Team USA and saying to himself, "this guy can play team ball, and he can do it really really efficiently." I mean, Carmelo upped his 3pt% to 41% this year! And if Morey believes, then I will too. I mean, I was real skeptical about Carmelo too, but we'll see.

With Harden, I think Morey is also thinking in his head that with the increased usage, his ridiculous efficiency (66% TS in 2011-2012) has taken a hit. If you can get another wing star to take the ball out of his hands occasionally, it might actually do him some good too.

In Morey I trust.

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

“Let’s be frank about it,” Anthony told USA Today in London, where he is playing in the 2012 Summer Olympics for Team USA. “When it comes to the Knicks, we’re talking about one particular point in time. We’re talking about the whole ‘Linsanity’ thing. That’s when it started. That’s when it started to escalate as far as people saying I was selfish.”

If any guy understands how much bull**** James Harden gets and why, it's Melo

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Defense is about discipline and planning as it is about personnel. Chicago taded away Luol Deng and replaced him on the starting lineup with Mike Dunleavy and their defense stayed awesome. They ran lineups where Boozer, Dunleavy, and Augustine all played together and it wasn't an issue. Boozer and Dunleavy are historically terrible defenders, so how did they keep their top two defensive ranking? Because Thibs emphasizes rotations, physicality, and holds players accountable. Their players don't get picked on no matter how bad their reputations are.

Meanwhile, we replaced Tjones with Asik the starting lineup against Portland and Aldridge still killed us. Does that mean we need to find someone that plays better individual post defense than Asik? Good luck with that. You going to turn away a lot of great players if that's your minimum criteria.

IMO, Melo is a decent defender. He'd also be our best individual scorer and the attention he draws will take a lot of pressure of everyone else. But he doesn't solve our defensive woes, so let's turn our nose at him. And let's reject Durant while we're at it, since he wouldn't solve our defensive problems either.

17. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Interesting point, thanks.

18. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Stop right there....

No, we aren't good in the half court D wise. Don't show me numbers in a general sense, show me numbers against the top 12-15 rotations league wide in the first few mins of the 1Q,3Q, and end of 4th.

19. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Nice post.

These are the things, I'm starting to believe, that Morey doesn't really seem to understand. He seems to be all about stats based on player combos and results, etc., as if player performance happened in a vacuum, independent of coaching. Does he or does he not pretty much dismiss coaching as a factor? He doesn't seem to account for it properly, and it kills us. Or else I'm just missing his discussion of how they statistically analyze coaching strategies -- other than the occasional mention of statistics on situational play calls... such as isos late in games, etc...

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

20. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Slower pace= better raw number. Irrelevant if you adjust it though. We should keep our pace.

Melo isn't a plus or neg on D unless he replaces Dwight in our rotation. Our D is 100% on Mchale devising a scheme.