1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Defense - and the culprit is...???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 27, 2018.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So last year we finished with the 7th best defensive efficiency allowing 105.6 points per 100 possessions.

That was pretty good.

This year we are allowing 114.7 points per 100 possessions, which is 25th in the league.

What a regression! Ok, but why, let's dig a bit.

When MELO is on the bench we give up 105.3 points per possession, almost identical to last year.

But when MELO is on the floor we give up 116.1 points per possession - WTF, that is historically poor.

Not saying it is all Melo....wait, HELL YES I AM that lazy turd is killing this team.

Link to article about it.

DD

Mazulis, da_juice, LUK3 and 17 others like this.
  2. Mashing

Mashing Member

Show me a team in the league that's playing defense? All scoring this year is out of control.

ak99999, Rocket River and bj3175 like this.
  3. threepointshot3

It’s embarrassing watching him trying to switch on guys followed by him getting slaughtered off the dribble

Zboy likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Ouch. :(

Get us a defensive coach who knows what he's doing. I'm still shocked that Jeff B. retired. It's not entirely on the players, in my opinion. Our defense is like the headless chicken racing around the yard until the damn thing realizes it's dead.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I was trying to be optimistic about him at least being better for us than Anderson, but... :(

6. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I saw that Melo stat earlier and was stunned that it was that significant.

I've tried not to Melo bash because so many Rockets are playing like crap but damn.

Then again most of knew he would struggle defensively, so it shouldn't shock anyone.

7. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I'm actually surprised we're not 30th, in terms of my (admittedly poorly-trained) eye test it's looking gross. U G L Y.

I think it's more than just Melo though. I feel like if he was in Ryno's place last season, it wouldn't be as noticeable, but this year there's a perfect storm of new personnel, defensive stalwarts (and the defensive coach) leaving, weird rule changes, and of course, the failings of individual players (e.g. Melo but not only him)

Maybe changing up the "switch everything" defense will bring about good results. I certainly hope so, because I don't like watching people score on my favorite team like Yi Jianlian was scoring on those poor chairs back in his pre-draft workouts.

Edit:
    and I also think and hope that the defense might start looking better once the shots start falling more efficiently. It's hard to set up a defense when the other team doesn't have to inbound the ball, especially without our favorite defensive coordinator.

8. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Im starting to think the Rockets have employees on this site trying to drive this narrative.

Reeko, juanm34, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My vision might be getting bad brother
    But was that Montrez Harrell or Hakeem Olajuwon who went wild on us ?

10. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Exactly like

MarioKissoDeath and Deckard like this.
  11. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Corre Maggete was commentating on the Clippers side he said it looked like Dream and Mj because no one could come close to guarding him

Invisible Fan and tinman like this.
  12. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

It’s hard to compare last year stats to this year given the new rule changes that minimize defensive efforts.

These new rule changes have ruined the game to me. It is quite unwatchable!

BigShasta, fattz and Richie_Rich like this.
  13. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

How DARE you compare a current NBA player to The Dream! Blasphemy! Only true Rockets fans remember how great The Dream was and know to NEVER make such a statement!

...Am I doing it right?

GotGame15 likes this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can we trade four draft picks for Trevor Ariza ?

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Trezl has learned alot, his steps are quick.

Mazulis likes this.
  16. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

This just means our non-Melo defense is even more impressive.

17. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

MELO THE TRASH!!!!!!!! GET HIM OFF THE FCKING TEAM!!!!!!

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Last year to start the season we had two good defenders in Ariza and mbah a moute who were playing well, harden was playing with a lot of effort and Ryan was playing instead of Melo

I told people in the off-season that the Ryan hate was ridiculous. Until he got hurt last year he was playing well for us. Remember all the articles about how he was holding up so well in isolation defense? He and harden both were holding their own against guys trying to iso them. Everyone on the team understood the switching defense.

You’ve replaced that.

Easy, YOLO, BaselineFade and 2 others like this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

On a podcast, Zach Lowe and Chris Herring brought up a stat that was something like: for shots at the rim, when Melo is the closest defender, opponents are shooting 94%

This was only after 3 games and they brought it up more because they thought the %age was comically high than to condem Melo, but... yeah, Melo is bad on D.

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Ryan Anderson is a bad NBA player my friend. The Rox stars haven't been impactful and the team isn't focused at all. These guys were expecting the rest of the league to kiss their collective butt. Instead their getting their asses kicked and they all need to wake up.

Hakeemtheking, payaso and rocketman84 like this.