1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Defense - and the culprit is...???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 27, 2018.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

That's because Melo really does not try on D. He is not willing to sacrifice his body to move in for a charge. He doesn't really challenge shots, he literally just puts his hand half way up but pulls it down immediately. He really is terrible defensively and we aren't being successful in hiding his shortcomings.

Ryno last year at least tried to move his feet and would sacrifice his body to take charges. He was also a decent post defender even when he would almost get murdered (I'm rememebering all those Boogie games) he would still bang bodies with guys bigger than him. Melo just has a different mindset and this was one of concerns many of us had.

Little Bit, Zboy and BaselineFade like this.
  2. farhen

farhen Member

3. conquistador#11

I agree with you that it's carmelo but for a different reason. Coincidentally, our defensive mastermind retired as soon as Carmelo joined. Coincidence of course.

fattz likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I see you guys were busy overnight :D

fattz likes this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean we have other problems besides Melo but......Melo is a big part of the problem, it's undeniable.

6. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

118.8 is what the Rockets giving up in 5 games. No team on earth is going to have a winning record much less win games. Bad shooting games, lazy on defense and no energy (except for fighting) = 1-5.

kjayp likes this.
  7. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

The culprit imho is this mix of personnel. For switching - you need length (height plus wingspan) plus foot speed (like corner back foot speed) plus some modicum of intelligence.

Moreover we lack a certain continuity with the personnel. Last year, any time for any five on the floor we had two pre-eminent switchers plus one serviceable general defender plus one paint protector.

Today - it all falls apart because we don’t have any true switchers (I’m sorry but as a physical specimen Ennis is not what I would call a tier one versatile defender). And thus we have major defensive breakdowns that make Capela look like a G leaguer.

If you look at our wings, there is no continuity

PJ plus Ariza simply made for a better balance of offense and defense with the other three. As constructed today, this team is about as stable as a two legged stool.

Ariza was that third leg. And off the bench Luc was that third leg.

Defense - prob more so than offense is all about balance and mix imho. And Morey really screwed up with his failure to keep at least ariza OR luc.

I keep harping on this point that I think Morey got seduced by individual stats and “relative value” at the expense of matters of age and “relative fit”.

Said a different way, if players were investments, the incremental value of adding Melo Ennis MCW etc has been mimimal to negative even if individually they seem comparable in certain stats to Luc and Ariza

Sage

carib, kjayp, mikeiah and 2 others like this.
  8. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Melo officially sucks... gotta waive him. The team wasnt fast to begin with but he makes us slower and is inefficient. Our switching scheme gets blown up entirely when dude is on the floor...

BaselineFade and kevtse like this.
  9. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

stop blaming melo its the entire team besides tucker gordon, capela, ennis, mcw all have been trash so far

kjayp likes this.
  10. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

I think Ryno was a decent piece. He started last season off so well and then his confidence went to shiii due to trade rumors and the hate he was getting for being overpaid. Id take him over Melo at this point. Melot is trash....

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

Melo has been bad but wasn’t OKC top 10 defense with Melo starting all season?

Putting all the blame on him when our coach has a history of not having a clue about defense? Only now in today’s league with everyone playing at a crazy pace and bombing threes, he can’t offensively take advantage of any team. MDA is worthless without a defensive assistant. Our roster is a mess so Morey can get the blame too Mr. “coaches don’t matter when you have talent”

JayGoogle and kjayp like this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Melo is a poor defender, but having a poor defender at the minimum is no excuse for a contender to go 1-4.

Any current contender can sit their best player and still crush these Rockets. Melo does not account for most of that. He accounts for part of it.

13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Blasphemous :eek:
    Take it back!!!

BaselineFade likes this.
  14. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Oh great... another ' if somethings wrong - must be Melo's fault' poster... some of you guys really miss having Ryan Anderson to rag on... lol

Y2JT likes this.
  15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Mazulis and Snow Villiers like this.
  16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Bingo!

But but....with CP and Harden...Olympic Melo....

Mazulis likes this.
  17. High Vibrationz

You stole some of stats from a post i did ,prick

18. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Pat Bev, Trevor Ariza, Luc Mbah a Moute, Montrez Harrell....I miss those guys...

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wow :eek:

High Vibrationz likes this.
  20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

wow :eek:

High Vibrationz likes this.