1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Defense - and the culprit is...???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 27, 2018.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean I have a question though, do you really think Melo is a better defender than CP3? I'd also like to know whats the difference between this stat and the one posted in the ESPN article?

All genuine questions, not trying to pick a fight haha.

2. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

That's good, at least NBA.com is giving a useful version. The one on Basketball-Reference on a players page and which is used to calculate other stats like BPM, etc is the Drtg stat that assumes every player is equally good at defensive aspects that don't show up on the boxscore (obviously terrible assumption, but they have no choice), and then the individual Drtg is based on team Drtg, and it goes lower based on how well the player grabs defensive rebounds, gets steals and gets blocks per minute. So obviously we can see why that one would not actually be giving us very useful information

3. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

https://stats.nba.com/players/advan...9&SeasonType=Regular Season&TeamID=1610612745

Looks like it is James Ennis, of course with the small sample size and players playing or not playing in different games, it can only give a minimal glimpse. At 5 games a players Drtg can change pretty significantly based on what happens the next game.

D-rock likes this.
  4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Yeah, a lot of the stats on bbreference seem to be misleading. It's mostly due to the fact that they dont have an accurate count of possessions.

They try to use formulas to estimate possessions and they arent usually very close to the actuals.

D-rock and ThunderStruck like this.
  5. bmd

bmd Member

You clearly didn’t watch him on defense. They were going right at Melo constantly, and he made mistake after mistake defensively.

6. MeloMan15

MeloMan15 Member

CP3 is a better defender than Melo but CP3 like everyone else on the Rockets Melo included have been terrible on defense. When the team defense is so bad it is stupid to point the finger at one person. One person doesn't make a team give up 130 that is everyone on team. Teams are also becoming use to the 100% switching teams and are able to put together a simple game plan. CP3 on Davis dump it to the post. Mitchell on Melo clear out. Anyone on MCW go at him. Post player on a guard go at him. Also we lack shot blocking especially when Capela goes out making the lane wide open....

Also we are rebounding at a terrible rate which also impacts our defense and defensive numbers.

Melo is a bad defender has been his entire career. Making posts about it and articles and blogs about it are tired and lazy. It has been done now for 5-7 years it is old and played out and reeks of someone wanting likes or clicks. Expecting Melo to come in and be a defensive stopper or a rim protector is stupid and lazy. Expecting Melo to be anything more than an offensive spark is stupid.

But....In Melo's defense he was on a top 10 defense last year in OKC who played at a face pace. Russ - Roberson - PG - Melo - Adams was a top defensive unit in the league last year. So he can be functional in a team setting.

ApacheWarrior, JayGoogle and HP3 like this.
  7. MeloMan15

MeloMan15 Member

This is false narrative and just hasnt happened.

8. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Yea, there's the possession problem with them, but also the issue with what they list on the main player page which is Dean Oliver's individual Drtg that's just a random stat that is supposed to estimate a players individual defense, and it is just not good. The Ortg there is also the individual Ortg, not the on/off Ortg, but that one at least has value due to the larger amount of offensive stats available, it's a good gauge when you understand the impacts of usage, role, etc.

9. omgTHEpotential

Checked the closest stat I could find on nba.com - what I found is when Melo defends someone between 0 ft to 6 ft from the basket, those guys score at a 82.1% clip (their combined season average is 66.0%). Meaning their percentages go up by 16% when they're defended by Melo. When they're defended by Harden it goes up by 9%. Capela is neutral, letting opponents score at their average clip. It's a pretty laughable sample size though. I wouldn't pay any attention to it.

High Vibrationz and HP3 like this.
  10. aelliott

Yeah, I knew the answer before I posted. Just trying to point out the irony of so many saying that Ennis cant play defense and cant shoot. He's leading in defRtg and he's shooting 43% 3fg%.

Too many people seem to think that our issues are due to a single player.

Deuce and D-rock like this.
  11. MeloMan15

MeloMan15 Member

Yup I dont use basketball-reference much. I use it if I find a stat on another site and don't believe it I will double check it on Basketball-Reference.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He definitely said it. I remember that well, just not where I saw or heard it. I would do a search, but I just got home from watching my 11 year old nephew's middle school basketball game. He's a guard, although it's hard to figure out who's playing what position at that level. Barely controlled chaos, sort of like the Rockets right now. Like the Rockets, they lost, badly. It's was fun watching him, though.

#92 Deckard, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    D-rock and Will like this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean using these stats right now with such a little sample size are almost as disingenuous as people saying he sucks...almost, not quiet though LOL. Using all these stats right now is just pointless cause they dont point to anything conclusive right now.

Not to mention...Ennis is still out for 2 more weeks :(

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's a terrible stat to evaluate individual players defensively. DRPM is a little better but Morey has said there really isn't any good public info for individual defense.

Just gotta watch. The fact that teams constantly hunt Melo and score on him tells me he's the weak spot, though it's probably not fair to just blame him, Green isn't good either, and Gordon is probably average at best.

But they knew this already. Hopefully Ennis comes back and takes most of the minutes.

15. aelliott

Are you asking who is the better defender or who has played better defense in the first few games of the season? Those are two different things.

Paul is obviously the better defender but he hasn't played well defensively in his first 3 games.

The ESPN stat that you are referring to was on court defense vs off court for Anthony? It's the same except the ESPN article was quoted after 4 games. His rating went down slightly since then.

16. MeloMan15

MeloMan15 Member

Yup Melo isn't a rim protector do we find that stunning? Did we think he was a rim protector before he came to Houston?

Also that stat doesn't explain how the person got within 0-6 feet of the basket? Was it Melo's guy? Was someone else beat bad and Melo was last line of defense (again not a rim protector) Was it an offensive reboud and put back and Melo was closest defender? Was it a 3 on 1 fastbreak with Melo only one back? Lots of factors stats don't consider.

Again Melo is a bad defender I am just attacking the stat.

HP3 likes this.
  17. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

It’s also Capela. He can’t get any rebounds and he misses those easy shots

18. fattz

fattz Member

So we are at a crossroad. Last year’s playoffs positions 3-9 where only a 5 games different. The West is to competitive to start off like this. Only three choices in life:

Live - keep the team intact

Change - trade and mortgage the future

Leave - bust up the team and rebuild

DD you did your pod casting back in the day and had some great takes.

What do Rockets need to do?

19. omgTHEpotential

True, and I'm not saying one way or the other. The sample size is negligible. Although the fact that some guys have a better DFG% than others in those same circumstances would indicate something (over a big sample). But I'm too lazy to do the research.

20. HP3

HP3 Member

Ok fair enough.

Yea that one, okay then I appreciate it. I like to ask you questions since I think I learn a bit from you haha. But now that I actually know how you were approaching this, you can ignore my other post haha. Thanks for the response.