1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien needs to go away.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

That’s the nature of the business...now answer me this and I know a loss is a loss but how much have we lost each game by? Pats one TD..titans game one fake punt in the 1st qtr...:Giants one defensive stop needed. The point I’m tying to make is despite our slow starts despite our stupid penalties and turn overs and horrible play calling and red area execution...we are still in the game late.

We have not got blown out we have not gotten embarrassed have we under performed absolutely. But the argument of this isn’t the same division don’t fly. The jags don’t scare me bcuz of Blake bortles the titans will fade and we have a revenge game on MNF here at home and we will POSSIBLY beat the colts Sunday and colts will fade as well.

Like I’ve said before and I know it sounds cliche but if we can come out faster and play faster if we can clean up the dumb penalties and have better execution in the red area and if the defense can get settled down earlier we have a real shot at turning this season around. But Sunday is a must win.

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And as of right now our offense is ranked 6th in yards so people are confused about our offense not producing. Now it is all about scoring TDs but that goes to my point earlier about cleaning up the mistakes in red zone.

But the argument people make about our offense are wrong. We are moving up and down the field it’s just the red area killing us for a number of different reasons.

No Worries likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Offenses are always judged by points per game, not yards. Managing a ton of empty yards means nothing when you are scoring under 20 points per game

red5rocket, deb4rockets and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Andy Reid ***** out more wins than Bill O'Brien has ever won in a season.

Bill O'Brien's best season was 9-7 ............. Andy Reid has seasons where he has won: 11,11,12, 12, 13, 10, 10, 11, 11, 11, 12, 10.......

Andy Reid has a dozen seasons better than the best season by Bill O'Brien.

Houstunna, deb4rockets and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I agree we come out faster blah blah blah but how many times have we done that? Once? Last year vs Titans? This has been a reoccurring theme. I can easily say teams let up off the gas in the second half because Texans are gonna Texans. That one possession game doesn’t mean much to me. We still lose. Fans that are saying oh we’re right there but in reality we are not.

#125 red5rocket, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    deb4rockets and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's not how much they're losing by...it's how. The games are kept relatively close because there is a lot of talent on this team. It's just so poorly managed that they're forced to play from behind every game so far. He is a bad coach, period. He has no concept of how to put in a proper game plan. His players are making bad mistakes over and over again...ones that are correctable in training camp by even mediocre coaching. His play calling is more predictable than the sun coming up. These were all issues during the seasons they went 9-7...but the division was so incredibly bad that it helped cover the problems.

He's a bad coach and it isn't changing any time soon.

deb4rockets and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

When I compared the 2 in my argument I wasn’t referring to who’s a better coach or who has more wins. I was comparing somebody pointing out O’Brien’s faults and my reply was everybody wants to bring up Andy Reid and my reply was even Reid is criticized for having faults as far clock management and not getting the most out of his teams. Every coach has flaws.

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even if he only had one losing season I think we can find a better coach. I think a really good coach could come up with better play calling and clock management. I think a better coach would have gotten better results with the endless rotation of QBs that have put on our uniform. I am sooooooooo tired of his boring and predictable play calling.

9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I wouldn’t say a bad coach. That’s a little far...3 winning seasons in 4 years 2 division titles and 2-2 in playoff games doesn’t sound like the statistics of a BAD coach.

10. Nook

Nook Member

He isn't just 0-3....... he is 0-12 in his last dozen games...

He 11-22 over his last 33 games for a winning percentage of 33%.

Over the last three seasons his teams have been outscored 912-676.

His team has consistently gotten worse, his quarterback has back slid.

He doesn't deserve a job as an NFL head coach based on his performance.

He has had 5 seasons and the best he can claim is a 9-7 season.

NO THERE IS NO WAIT UNTIL EARLY NEXT SEASON AND LET HIM GO IF HE STRUGGLES.

Rudyc281 and deb4rockets like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

hes benefited from a very weak division in that time span. Very much a flawed coach who is extremely predictable at this point. Hes not the coach for this team if they want to go far. Nevermind that, hes not the coach thats gonna win more games than not atm

Rudyc281 and deb4rockets like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Two division titles going 9-7 in an absolutely terrible division...... it doesn't mean much.

There has never been a time with a BOB team where it felt they were even a dark horse to go to a Super Bowl.... not even for a second.

He is well under .500% over 5 seasons and is 1-12 in the last 13 games.

He is just bad. He can go coach in college and win 8 games and go to a bowl game..... but at his best in the pros he has been mediocre.

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well said!

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Have to take in account of th circumstances not making exercises but it’s reality.

How healthy has this team been really. In the last few years.
    Watson missed last 10 games I believe last year and you know who played QB in his absence.
    Watt has only played a certain amount of games last few years
    Fuller has missed a ton
    Clowney missed a ton
    Whitney missed a ton
    Kevin Johnson missed a ton
    On and on

And Watson has not back slid that is a false statement. Has he been lights out like last year NO. But it’s bcuz he is playing more from the pocket which could be hes making a conscious decision not to scramble and or coaching. I think it’s O’Brien developing Watson to play more from the pocket which is going to do wonders for his development.

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

He doesn’t control who’s in the division and or how good they are.
    And every coach has flaws.

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

You have to take into account what he has had to work with.

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

all the built in excuses are gone. we're healthy. he has his QB. rick smith is gone. he got his GM. hes calling the plays. billy has to produce this season or he is gone too. honestly unless we see a drastic improvement in this team the rest of the way, it might already be too late for billy

Nook likes this.
  18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

BOB is not a good coach for this team. Probably isn’t a good coach at all. Fans like you who continuously root for this trash is the reason we suck for an extended time.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

he doesn't control it but you still have to take it into account when trying to justify using those as a way to say hes a good coach. Context matters

Just because you have a group of bad teams and you're the "best bad team" doesn't mean you're actually good

Nook, Rudyc281 and red5rocket like this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Everybody is pointing out his flaws and his under achievements and etc...but the real question I have is why hasn’t he lost the team then why hasn’t he lost the locker room in all these years? Even when the circus was going on in the media between him and rick smith and rumors about O’Brien leaving to college and etc. It had got real bad but yet he gets a extension.