1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien needs to go away.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

If they were correctable by this head coach they wouldn't be happening in the first place.

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

That can apply to every coach. I’ve seen a lot of people mention Andy Reid what has he done. What have his chiefs accomplished. He is criticized for his clock management. And has also under produced with the teams that he has had.

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

It’s not a perfect world. And Watson is still developing and is still a young QB he’s going to make mistakes.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

But this was the first year where BOB had SB talk expectations and he folded like a lawn chair. That's concerning.

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I don’t know why we had a 4-12 team.

Jturbofuel likes this.
  6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

While I think there’s no way he gets fired because he just signed for four or whatever plus years, John Filippo is a hot commodity.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't necessarily agree with this. I think sometimes you go away from what works when you worry about if you are predictable or not.

At the end of the day you have to put your players in positions they can succeed, if Miller's success is in open space, that's where he goes.

Who cares if it is predictable when the other team can't stop it? We've seen Brees and Brady basically have no running games some years, line up 4 wide, obviously, they are going to pass...what can you do about it? Nothing.

When Peterson was in his prime you knew he was getting the ball...what can you do about it? Nothing. I think it helps strategy a lot more when you tell the opposing team "This player is going to dominate you and there really is nothing you can do about it."

How many times did they line up OBJ in the slot yesterday? You think RC didn't know about that? It was entirely predictable that when he lined up in the slot he was getting the ball quickly. They knew, but what could they do about it. Nothing. I don't care if it's predictable if it works. You can't overthink yourself

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Man it's a huge difference between Reid and B'OB.

Reid has accomplished a lot more than B'OB and he consistently has dominant offenses. B'OB is supposed to be the QB whisperer and QBs consistently play badly under him.

So.

It's one of two things here...

1.) It's not him, the QBs just suck. If that is so then he's a poor talent evaluator. He's had how many years for this? It shouldn't take 5 years to find a QB and a decent Oline to protect him.
    2.) B'OB just isn't the QB whisperer he thinks he is and in fact for whatever reason makes them play worse.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Franchise QBs don’t grow on trees

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is about the only thing consistent with his teams. They never seem prepared to play in the first half. If they played the first half like it was the 2nd half they'd win a lot more games...

If only it was just a QB issue.

Our oline sucks, our running game is mediocre, our TEs our meh. The only good part of our offense is the WRs but good luck getting them the ball when your oline sucks.

This is after 4 seasons, he's had 4 seasons to build an elite offense and this is the result.

Andy Reid, by contrast, came in with a journeyman QB and made an elite offense. Immediately. It's a combination of Reid knowing what he's doing, having a plan (Building an offense based on overwhelming speed) and building towards that plan.

I remember when Kubiak came in here, he had his blocking scheme, he immediately looked for smaller Olinemen to fit his Zone Blocking Scheme...and it worked. Sure, it sucked when they had to go up against beefier dlines, but it was his scheme, his plan.

What exactly is the plan here? All I've heard from the players is that we play through the run....why? Why are we doing that? We have prime Warren Moon back there running the ball? Seems like a dumb plan to me. It would be like if MDA came out and said that we're now playing through Capela in the post. Well, good luck with that I guess.

Jake Tower and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

That’s because imo we haven’t invested in the offense enough. That could because we expected O’Brien to make chicken salad from chicken shyt like I mentioned earlier.

Won’t go through everything but I’ll state recently in the failed attempts to invest in offense.

Signed Brock without O’Brien approval
    Signed average RB miller had one good year in Miami
    Drafted fuller who O’Brien was familiar with
    Haven’t drafted offensive lineman in first round since Duane Brown if I’m not mistaken
    Haven’t drafted a TE in 1st 3 rounds I believe even when last year or the year before where one of the best drafts for TEs

I can go on and on but my point is that we have invested heavily in the defense and not so much in the offense because everybody felt O’Brien could make magic with what he had.

And I know I said failed attempts but I mentioned fuller as example bcuz O’Brien made that call I’m sure.

13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And everybody talking about O’Brien talent evaluation everybody has hit and misses. Recently I remember everybody crying why we didn’t draft Derek Carr now I hope y’all see why.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not buying that that O'Brien didn't know or approve of Brock.
    O'Brien fell in love with Miller after the whooping the Dolphins put on the Texans the season before he came to Houston. That was the infamous "we have to get faster"
    So O'Brien gets credit for Will Fuller but not Nick Martin or Louis Nix?
    They had 3 3rd round picks this past draft. They could have moved up to get more talented linemen or tight ends.

The whole chicken salad deal went out the window when he was given a franchise level QB last year.

Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Nick Martin is a stud center when healthy.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Well, theres a good chance that we could have beat the Patriots in the playoffs if we had Derrick Carr and not osweiler throwing lame ducks.

I dont think anybody was crying as much as knowing we couldnt draft another Carr with past history.

Rudyc281 and Nimo like this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

They keep telling us that but I don't see it. There are 2 other players who have actually played really well at center on the team.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Is 0-3 disappointing HELL YEAH! And everybody needs to be held accountable even O’Brien. But to call for him fired I disagree. This season can still be salvaged and it starts this week if we lose to colts it’s over. Even if we have a horrible year I would still say keep O’Brien one more year.

Let him and Gaine build this team up. If it goes to crap this year we would have high draft picks and lots of cap space.

Now if next year early in the year same disappointing start then GOODBYE.

We would still have lots of cap space egardless of record.

#98 Rudyc281, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And what will the feel around here be if we get this thing turned around FAST and become the first team since 98 to reach playoffs starting 0-3? And POSSIBLY winning a playoff game? Would O’Brien still need to go? Will people still say he’s lost the team and locker room and coaching staff? How about the fans?

20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you really think he is a good coach/offensive coordinator? Honestly, I just want him gone. In what other business does the guy in charge get away with doing such a terrible job year after year after year? The clock management, play calling, and offensive coaching has been less than what we need. I give him an A+ for effort, but have lost all faith in his abilities. I have hated the play calling for too many years.

I think if we turn this thing around FAST, it is because our players do what they are capable of, regardless of that man saying "We need to coach better." Take away the turnovers, take away the endless bonehead penalties, and we won all 3 of those games. No doubt. When we face tougher teams I am worried about our pass coverage. Manning picked them apart yesterday, like he was playing some high school team. It was humiliating. I miss Boye, and without Kevin Johnson getting any better we took 2 steps backwards.

#100 deb4rockets, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Two Sandwiches and Rudyc281 like this.