1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman Fertitta is seeking to shed additional salary

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 3, 2020.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The window is closed.

DD

2. Erbnwarfare

Erbnwarfare Member

Wtf did you buy this team for if you don't want to compete???
    We deserve better than this...this dude done singlehandedly destroyed a championship contending team to save money. FU

3. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Why get Westbrook then? I don't believe this until it happens because it doesn't make sense when they would be out of the repeater tax regardless when they start rebuilding in two years.

DeBeards likes this.
  4. DaDakota

To keep the lemmings in the seats.....with exciting regular season basketball.

DD

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

both harden/wb are here for at least 3 more years with each of them making $47 plus in that last year. I'm not sure where you're getting the 2 more years rebuild, out of the repeater from

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You guys are actually buying this? Feeds your narrative, I guess.....

7. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

If he makes a cap saving trade involving capela I’m going to lose it. I seriously will come back to Houston and protest

BaselineFade likes this.
  8. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Sigh. Just when I wanted to believe. This is so messed up if true.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

*Team is good*

Tilman: Well I’m not spending money to keep this team good

*Team isn’t good anymore*

Tilman: This team is bad, why would I spend money on it?

Rocket fans:
    [​IMG]

10. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

My prediction:

capela, nene and a first round pick for a vet “who will help this season” but also be on an expiring deal and won’t be resigned in offseason.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

1) Ego. A hometown kid(well, Galveston technically) growing up to be the owner of the city's NBA franchise is a major accomplishment.

2) To keep the franchise in Houston. If an outsider buys the team, they could plot to move it to another city. Like Clay Bennett did when he bought the Sonics and took them to OKC.

3) Money. Even if he runs the organization like a sh-tty nickel and dime operation, he's guaranteed a profit(like Sterling did with the Clippers in the 80s and 90s). All he has to do is keep the team salary below the luxury tax level.

I don't have a problem with #1. #2 is certainly admirable provided he runs the team competently. #3 is unacceptable though. If that's his M.O., then this franchise is screwed and will never contend as long as he's in charge.

12. DaDakota

BTW - the Morey Tweet has had a major negative effect on this team.

That was not a good move for the Rockets.

DD

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

Why pay tax if you aren’t a contender? If there are no moves available to you to improve the team, then why pay the tax. I guess that’s his thinking.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  14. Section123row16seat1

@mods

can I change my name to notwatchingfromhome

no more season tickets for me

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

there's no moves to improve the team because that's his fault in the first place when he gave away all the assets and contracts necessary. he's just too dumb to understand that and all he sees is his LTS and not the bigger picture. dude has single handily doomed the rockets franchise for years to come

Richie_Rich, Nook, HP3 and 6 others like this.
  16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Ive tried to give Tillman the benefit of the doubt. But if he cheaps out at the deadline the year after going all in on Russ and EG, im gonna sharpen the pitchfork and lead the mob. We are either in it to win it or we're not.

17. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Because if they don't win a championship the next two seasons they will 100 percent be traded the last year and be looking at rebuilding. I would even say by this time in two years if they have not done anything they would be looking at rebuilding.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  18. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Why is he playing undersized and running key players into the ground if he doesn't plan to just let this team roll and not compete?

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

i doubt that happens tbh

20. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Tilsh*t keeps spouting bullsh*t that he will spend. Didn't do it for the 67 winning WCF team, didn't do it for one of the greatest MVP seasons ever, and didn't do it while getting an impact player in Westbrook.

Sarver 2.0 and like the post-Nash Suns, the post-Harden era is going to look grim.

Relativist and pr0wler like this.