1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman Fertitta is seeking to shed additional salary

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 3, 2020.

1. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I can't stand this guy.

Richie_Rich and Nook like this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Im gonna go be a fan of a real team: The New York Knicks.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I confess that I have not had food from a Landrys establishment in several years. Maybe 5?

Sorry folks.

It's on me.

5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The narrative is that Tilman Fertitta paid too much for the team and has handcuffed a potential championship team two years in a row. Tell me how this narrative is wrong.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

HP3 likes this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Explain to me why Tilman would bring Westrbook making MORE money than Paul here along with EXTENDING Eric Gordon make him cheap?

Please. Explain that to me.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

The sad part is that this once-proud franchise will be under direct control of that family for the next couple of decades. The only thing we can hope for is a complete collapse of key parts of Tilman's empire that requires a huge influx of capital.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

10. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

If he's gonna keep doing this and we keep trading for 80 cents on the dollar, I would ask for a trade if I were Harden or Russ. This is embarrassing.

BaselineFade and FrontRunner like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

They're still out there @Nook

Corrosion, Nook and HP3 like this.
  12. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

You CANNOT contend by shirking the luxury tax at every step.

13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Agreed but not GG he Houston for life

14. ballsohard

ballsohard Member

Sorry ass overpriced subpar seafood selling mf!!!

15. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Because he expects Morey to put the team under the LT when the time comes.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

I know and i didn't say he was going to trade him now, he can do that in the summer.

It was a joke btw, but that's also what i actually expect to happen.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tilman Fertitta determined to do ‘whatever it takes’ to improve Rockets

“We’re going to do whatever it takes to be a championship-style team every year. I will make moves to always extend our runway."

Fertitta strongly pushed back on the notion that he sought deals last season to get the Rockets out of paying a luxury tax, saying he never considered that an option and that he would always authorize spending that improves the roster. The Rockets last season traded their first-round pick in the deal that moved Brandon Knight and brought in Iman Shumpert, then dealt James Ennis III to move under the tax. “Last year (getting under the luxury tax) was a fluke,” Fertitta said. “We were going to be in the (tax). It was an accident. I’m still trying to figure out how we got under. I was positive we were going to be in it by $11 million. But if I’m in the luxury tax, I expect us to win. “I just want to win. I’m not going to be in the luxury tax and not be one of the top four or five teams in the NBA.” “I’m not going to let a few million dollars (determine decisions),” Fertitta said. “Going to that seventh game, even though it would have been there, we’d probably still make a million and a half because we get part of their gate. If we go to the Western Conference finals, it’s worth $10 to $15 million to us. I’m not worried about the luxury tax. And that’s not just $10 million; it’s the next year’s ticket renewals, the sponsorships, everything. If you are in the luxury tax and you’re winning, you’re going to be a more profitable team.”

We will do whatever it takes this offseason to improve ourselves.”

Rockets owner wants to win at all costs

“(General manager) Daryl (Morey) knows that you can go do anything you need to do to make our team better, to go spend whatever the league allows us … with all the rules that (the league has). Daryl doesn’t have his arms behind his back, at all.”

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/12/rockets-gm-daryl-morey-luxury-tax/

"General manager Daryl Morey has already been given a green light to pay the tax, a person with knowledge of the team’s planning said."

18. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Being a billionaire is an impressive feat to say the least. What pisses me off about Tilman is he is one of the richest NBA owners (top 10) but runs the team like he is at the bottom of the list.

https://www.businessinsider.com/the...wners-and-how-they-made-their-fortune-2019-10

This team's window closes by 2022. I would go into the luxury tax this year and next to see if you can win the championship. After that I have no issue with Tilman blowing the team up.

I am going to hold judgement until he has owned the team for at least seven years but, agree with posters it is frustrating that he is squandering James/Russ.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

I'm not defending Tilman but the money saving moves are what? Dumping Gary 10 day contract Clark?

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

in addition to what he did all of last year. and oh don't worry the list is going to continue. It's only monday 02/03/20.

You want more? You'll get it soon enough