1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Tilman Fertitta is seeking to shed additional salary

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 3, 2020.

1. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Because he's been ducking the LT ever since he became the owner.

Nothing to suggest that he's doing otherwise...NOTHING.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don’t think they’re trying to trade Clint just to duck the tax. If that was their goal with Clint, all they got to do is trade Nene. Wouldn’t make sense.

Having said that...do I think that ducking the tax is a significant motivation, and Clint may not be traded for his proper value? Hell yes. Do I think they will make any sort of winning move that involves taking on a little more money? Hell no. You’re in denial if you think that isn’t a factor.

It’s no “narrative”. Tilman has already proven that the financials are his main priority. Winning is great, as long as it doesn’t cost too much.

#42 J Sizzle, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The narrative exist because the Rockets have been a contending team with elite talent since his ownership and he refuses to pay luxury.

Until he does, he'll be labeled as a cheap owner.

J Sizzle likes this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The article says they were also talking to Detroit about Drummond who is currently getting $27 million a year, lol.

Kind of contradictory statements.

While it's more than likely they do nothing but shed salary by giving up assets, let's wait on the public lynching until that actually happens, lol

DeBeards and HP3 like this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He has to save money for bigger murals of himself and his family.

6. lionaire

lionaire Member

Ah there it is. This is the move I was waiting for. LTS Championship here we come!

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, this trading deadline should really give us a good idea where Tilman stands. Capela has such great value that Morey may be able to get away with trading him away with another player and reduce salary coming in (something like John Collins/Covington for Capela/Nene/Sefolosha/FRP/Cash Considerations). I wouldn't be mad at a trade like that. I would be mad that we waste Capela because of Tilman's cheapness. Capela is not an overpaid player and instead is on a great value deal. If you ask me, Morey should really shine this trading deadline, even if he does give up an FRP.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

LTS doesn't need to be waited on. it's been a priority ever since he became owner. I'm not sure anyone has to wait on that. It shouldn't take a LTS sequel for people to realize by now what the priority motives are if anyone follows this team closely

9. JW86

JW86 Member

At least we know, with Leslie, you were never sure.

10. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We shouldn't be surprised by this. At the same time, it's not such a big deal. I'd figured this out already and didn't burn any of my few remaining brain cells.

Get a three-team deal that brings us coveted players and sheds that little bit we need to get under the tax. That way, we improve while avoiding the repeater tax, given how we'll likely owe Austin some Mo Money next season, and Russ' and James' contracts keep going up.

Of course, if Fertitta pulls this again next season, well, no surprise there either. But it'll be tougher to do next season than now.

joshuaao likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

I miss Les cause he was cooler anyway.

[​IMG]

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How many times did Les pay the tax? Just curious.

cheke64, DeBeards and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  15. vick

vick Member

Everybody needs to buy his Shut up and Listen book. They we will have a book burning with all local tv stations putting it on 6pm news.

BHannes2BHonest and Mazulis like this.
  16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He did extend Eric Gordon. He could have refused to to save money.

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

nice try tilman. i'll pirate your book and print the pages out and burn them!

clutchdabear likes this.
  18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yes, but is the article even right? I'm not sure the best source, but here is spotrac:
    https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/cap/

They're not "that" far over the LT threshold are they? Why would there be a bunch of trade Capela rumors if the desire is to just get under the tax while remaining competitive? If that's the goal, they should just keep Capela, and move Nene and a pick for "nothing". Which may happen, and would then require the public lynching...

But for now, the article to me REEKS of some other GMs trying to muddy the waters. They know, as we do, that he's been focused on LTS. I mean: "They’re done with Capela,” one Western Conference executive told CNBC, requesting that his name remain anonymous." ... lol, of course anonymous, cause it's just made up. What does Capela have to do with getting under the LT? The article goes from (1) they're done with Capela, to (2) he wants to avoid a luxury tax and here is how the luxury tax works, to (3) DM has to get under the luxury tax while staying competitive, to (4) they talked to Detroit about Drummond.

One thing has nothing to do with the other, which has nothing to do with the next. You see what I'm saying? It's just a bunch of random "points" Young tried to throw together in an article to just throw stuff out there. And by "points" i mean "made up" rumors and existing knowledge about ownership tendencies.

joshuaao likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Are there any defenders left? It is pretty ridiculous how he runs his team.

HP3, BMoney and Deuce like this.
  20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Thread title is evergreen.

It’s not shocking that a guy who made a fortune on the backs of restaurant workers won’t spend money on employees.

Owning the Rockets is a status symbol for this guy, not a passion. It is his, not Houston’s.

We’ve just entered the wilderness. It’s not too late to turn back, but I suspect many years of wandering are ahead of us with Tillman as the owner.

Richie_Rich and AroundTheWorld like this.