1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

random NFL thoughts

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by keeley, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

What do you guys think of the Panthers new blue home jerseys?

Last week there was a thread on the Browns new orange jerseys so I didn't want to create a new one.

2. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

I thought they were pretty cool. If you squinted a bit (okay... a lot) they were kinda like the Oilers.

I miss the Oilers :(

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. .. I do too

Rocket River

4. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I don't ever remember Emmitt saying anything like that. I watched most of the ceremony afterwards and didn't hear anything like "No one will get this." or "I did this on my own." or anything that would stir up people. Emmitt seemed to be the best guy to break the record since he was such a great guy.

But I'll admit I'm not listening to him 24/7. I would like to hear how he thinks so highly of himself.

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Well, of course he thinks highly of himself, he's confident and he is in fact one of the best running backs in NFL history. But there's a difference between being a confident player and an arrogant prick. Emmit is nowhere near arrogant, especially when you compare him with other football players.

By the way, who are you so sure is going to break his record? Remember, he's not done playing yet. And yes, while it's a possibility someone could break his record, how does that undermine his achievemnt? Are people starting to think less of Walter Payton now, because Emmit broke his record? Doubtfully.

6. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I loathe the cowboys, and even I can't say anything bad about Emmit.

Okay......I'll try.

Nope.........couldn't come up with anything.

7. drapg

drapg Member

when I saw those jerseys, i thought the exacts same thing. :(

i took off my glasses and watched those CAR vs. TB highlights, pretending it was 1994. ;)

8. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Steelers arent as bad as they first looked.
    Miami needs Fiedler back
    Oakland needs Woodson and Wheatley back badly.
    David Carr is going to be pretty good in a few years.
    The Chargers are for real.
    Patriots arent going anywhere.
    Gruden has the Bucs playing good football.
    Emmitt deserves his record.
    Green Bay looks very strong on both sides of the ball.
    Dont write the Rams off yet.
    What happened to Chicago?
    Where did this Deion Branch come from.
    KC is the best .500 team in football.
    Cincinnati couldnt beat some college teams.
    Donald Duck could be a 1000 yard rusher behind that Denver o-line
    Ray Lewis is a BAD man.

9. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Barry Sanders--"If you don't do what I want, I'm going to take my ball and go home." Not taking anything away from his football skills though.
    Emmit stuck with the Cowboys through thick and thin. I've never heard him high on himself. I'd like to see some proof of this.

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Emmitt did say that he was confident in his abilities and that he thought he was one of the best ever, however, he did not say that he was the best ever, or that he got there on his own, or that the record won't be broken.

If you asked him, he'd probably say that his record will be broken eventually, most records fall...but my guess is that it won't be for a while. Depending on how he chooses to finish his career, he could probably add another 1500-2000 yards to what he has now.

That will stand for a while, but someday, maybe in 10 years, maybe in 40, someone will come along and break it.

Emmitt has been nothing but a class athlete and teamate. He is the first to give credit to his success to his O-line (especially early in his career), Moose, and all the other teamates he had.

When he was hugging Moose after he broke the record you could hear him telling Moose that he couldn't have done it without him.

If some of the young guys in the league had the work ethic, heart, and determination that Emmitt has, there would be some world class players. Just think if Randy Moss had the heart that Emmitt has, how great he could be.

Emmitt deserves the record. He plays hard, isn't afraid to do the little things (blocks with the best of them), works hard, cares about his team and teamates, and is one of the most decent athletes I have seen.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

twenty years from now, people will be stunned emmitt smith has that record, because no one (except for emmitt. of course) will remember him fondly. he's the most non-descript, successful back i've ever seen run. no style, no defining moments...

12. Falcons Talon

Playing with a separated shoulder gaining over 200 yards to send the Cowboys to the super bowl is what I would call a defining moment.

13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

that giants game with the separtated sholder will go down as one of the finest moments any RB has ever had.

Emmitt hit the hole hard
    Ran north and south
    Played hurt
    picked up the blitz
    caught the ball out of the back field
    Emmitt is a champion worthy of breaking Sweetness' record

Barry was a great back who QUIT before reaching the top.
    Emmitt is a champion and argueably the best RB in the History of the NFL

14. Falcons Talon

I can't recall where I read this, but something that Emmit asked of his linemen in that game after his separated shoulder was for one of them to always run behind him to pick him up after each play. Ballz of steel!

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Another thing that pisses me off is Dan Dierdorf and Dick Enberg having multiple orgasms anytime Priest Holmes breaks a tackle. Those people need serious help.

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Talk about a short memory. Emmitt Smith is the closest thing to Sweetness (complete football player, total leader, 100% effort), since well, Sweetness. ESPN's Primetime did a great tribute and highlighted defining moments last night for those short in the memory dept. Personally, the time he about single handedily ruined the Redskins run at an undefeated season (a game not too many remember and not one featured last night if I remember, the Redskins did go on to steamroll their way to the Superbowl that year) was as spectacular of an individual RB performance since probably Earl. That game is right there with his last game of the season, bye in the playoffs at stake, playing on a seperated shoulder, victory over a tough as nails Giants team.

Barry Sanders was a great player who produced occasionally unbelievable, spectacular, athletic plays. But if you want a guy to get the most out of each play and produce clutch playoff victories--Emmitt was the man of the 90s in the RB position. NFL all time rushing champion, 3 time Super Bowl winner, nuff said.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Titans are still going to win superbowl.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

nah...the texans will put them away.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Ric --

I know you're reading in this thread...you and I had a discussion a couple of months before the season started regarding whether or not it would be weird for us ex-oiler fans to root for a brand new team...has your view on that changed at all?

i didn't find it weird at all...i was screaming like crazy from the opening kickoff...was able to identify with some of the players through training camp previews and preseason games....and after that first victory over the cowboys, they were so endeared to me.

what was your experience? just curious...

20. Smallz88

Smallz88 Member

My thoughts

-Vick is a pure STUD
    -Ditto to Deuce McAllister
    -Jets Looked Unstoppabel, but the Defense blows
    -Jamel White is the man in Brown Land... Well i think Browns
    -Whats up with Oakland
    -Give the Chiefs 1 more year and they might be world champs
    -Congrats to Emmit, i hate to see him with that record cuz he is NOT the best running back
    -If bengals can score against Titans D, so can a bunch of 13 yr olds football team
    -Patriots are looking like the Patriots of old before Brady
    -Wheres the 3 headed Monsters??
    -Minnessota looked like the offense that had the record for points in a season, now only if they played the bears 16 games a year
    -Tampa Bay has an offense?... Ah thats what i thought
    -Jacksonville loses, Dissapointing with all those stars.. hahha