1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Bernie Sanders for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Bernie is DOA. He had his chance.......

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think Glynch would just say you are wrong/ignorant/mislead by the corporate media/etc. if you favor those types of policies.

I won't vote for Bernie Sanders.

Nook likes this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

I may if it comes down to Trump vs Bernie but I’m solidly center left so I can hold my breath and take that plunge for Bernie.

Trump is just everything I hate about my fellow man.

Hakeemtheking, Deckard and Harrisment like this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Meh, just not feeling the burn -- too much sunblock.

Nook and Deckard like this.
  5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Bernie hype has died down. Now there are fresh faces and more excitement. His time has passed.

Deckard likes this.
  6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I think he will be the new Jeb Bush. Lot's of money and name recognition, but will fade quickly. It should be obviousl folks are not into the Clinton and sadly the Obama status quo.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

8. dmoneybangbang

Jeb Bush? Jeb doesn’t have big balls like Hillary.

Fightin’ Biden is more Obama/Clinton. He’s a candidate you can set your watch to.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Spoiled with a group of very good candidates this year, would be happy with any of Sanders/Warren/Yang/Gabbard - This is a group who will fight for the working class, will aim to end corruption in our economic and political systems.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Looks like he's running. (yawn)

Can't we have a president (real or fake) who's under 70?

ryan_98 likes this.
  11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

One of the reasons Trump won is because he was anti establishment. That being said there are plenty of new faces in the field. We just have to see how it plays out

MiddleMan likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Are you some sort of self-hating ageist Deckard?

13. dmoneybangbang

Yea but will that but a theme in 2020 after we have seen how an “anti establishment” behaves and implements policy?

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No, but I'm not running for president. Right now, I'm leaning towards Beto, but he hasn't declared yet. He may decide to run against Cronyn in 2020, instead. Normally, I'd say that was too stiff a challenge for him to take on, but there is nothing "normal" about the 2020 elections. I think Cronyn could be vulnerable and O'Rourke might be thinking the same thing. There's talk about it. Jack Kennedy was 43 when he ran for president and won (I saw the Kennedy/Nixon debate on the TV of the family abode, sitting on the floor). Beto is 46, although he could easily pass for 40. The other candidates? Aside from being very tired of Bernie (and it isn't because of the positions he holds on issues), the Democrat who isn't a Democrat, I'm still learning about the others.

15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Honestly, I think Beto gets thumped if he runs for senate again. Cornyn is not nearly as hated as Cruz. Look how man people voted for Abbott but not Cruz. I think Beto would get beat worse and might end his hopes for higher office.

MiddleMan and dmoneybangbang like this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This seems very odd to me, you are very tired of Bernie, but it's unrelated to his policy positions.

To me personally, the only qualities that matter when it comes to a president/elected official are policy positions, qualifications/education, past records on votes/positions and character (not being a liar, criminal etc).

If you aren't opposed to Bernie's policy positions, what issue do you have with him? He has the knowledge and experience, his past records and character for a politician are as golden as it gets.

So what is it that is making you tired? Is the "democrat who isn't a democrat" comment about him?

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good points. I don't doubt that he's thinking about those things, possibly doing some internal polling, or he may have no interest in taking Cronyn on at all, but I've heard that Cornyn is worried about it.

18. Major

Major Member

His character is questionable - he demonstrated in 2016 that he was a sore loser, b****ing and whining his way to the convention and doing irreparable harm to Clinton along the way. It would pretty easy to make the case that his actions and character assassination cost her the election.

He runs in Democratic primaries for President because it's his only roue, but otherwise refuses to call himself a Democrat or join the party.

My issues with Bernie are that he's not in the mainstream - he can speak to disaffected voters well (aka the Trump Democrats), but not really to mainstream non-disaffected-voters. His success in 2016 was largely that he was the only candidate for anyone that didn't want Clinton. This year, with so many options, I don't think he has any lasting power.

Biden is up there simply due to superior name recognition - multiple polls that account for that show him basically in a dead heat with several other candidates around 10%, so while I like him overall, I think he's got zero shot.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Of course the comment is about him. He's an independent, not a Democrat. I'm a Democrat, I'd like to see a Democrat run on the Democratic ticket, and I'd like to see someone younger run as a Democrat for president. It isn't complicated. Bernie had his shot last time and he's 77 years old. Using simple math, he'll be 82 at the end of his 4 years, if he wins. I would like a younger person at the head of the ticket. I wish Clinton had picked him as her running mate. She would be president today, in my opinion. Not the best president, not close, but far better than the creature who holds the office today. Just add that to all the other mistakes I think she made.

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

So you somehow see Beto as standing for Bernie's positions??? How??

Hey I had a yard sign and bumper sticker for Beto, and went to two of his rallies his first one and one of the last one.. Beto is quite charismatic, but he is very hard to pin down on issues and after he lost to Cruz he has stated that he wouldn't really call himself a progressive, when he sort of wondered around the country in a funk. He had six years in Congress with virtually no foot print or accomplishments to speak of.

He is described as a sort of white Obama. We can do better.

MiddleMan likes this.