1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Bernie Sanders for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 19, 2019.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Man, being the global hegemon ain't free. It costs a lot of money to tell countries in far-flung corners of the world who their leaders should be. Switzerland doesn't pay for that.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Bernie is relentless for such an old guy. Big energy, yuge crowds.

Hakeemtheking and ThatBoyNick like this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah honestly, just stepping outside of political thinking, what Bernie does physically, how sharp he is mentally for a 78-year-old man is VERY impressive. The average life expectancy for men in the USA is 76... It's hard to imagine with how big a voice he is, how much energy he has, that he could legitimately drop dead any day of natural causes. His dedication to spend the last years of his life going through the (what I presume is) great stress of multiple presidential campaigns is astonishing.

FranchiseBlade and Hakeemtheking like this.
  4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

You won't see this receiving the widespread publicity of good news for Biden or Warren. Just a heads up for ccfans who want to be truly inofrmed.

The presidential campaign of Sen. Bernie Sanders announced Tuesday that it raised $25.3 million from 1.4 million individual donations in the third quarter of 2019, the largest fundraising quarter of any 2020 Democratic White House contender thus far.

"The billionaire class should be very, very nervous," Sanders tweeted. "The working people of this country are ready for a political revolution."

"Media elites and professional pundits have tried repeatedly to dismiss this campaign, and yet working-class Americans keep saying loudly and clearly that they want a political revolution."
    —Faiz Shakir, Sanders campaign manager

The Sanders campaign said the average third-quarter donation was just $18, "teacher" was the most common profession of donors, and Starbucks, Amazon, and Walmart were the most common employers of donors.

Sanders's third-quarter fundraising boom was "fueled by a September haul that set a Bernie 2020 record for total amount raised and number of individual contributions in a single month," the campaign said in a press release.

"The final day of the third quarter was the second biggest fundraising day of the campaign," said the campaign. More than 99.9 percent of Sanders's donors since the start of the campaign in February can give again.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2...on-18-sanders-raised-record-253-million-third

Nook and DaDakota like this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Get well, Bernie.

I'm kind of shocked it took this long for health problems/fatigue to start appearing in the campaigns given Hillary/Trump/Warren/Biden/Bernie's collective ages.

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Huge news IMO

Age has become a more and more salient point , along with obviously physical and mental health.

I don’t know how this will be covered , but I imagine this will be pretty bad for his campaign

As far as Bernie himself , ah he will be fine ! He’s what ? 80 ? And It was only one artery? Cardiovascular surgery is amazing nowadays , thanks obese people :)

joshuaao, Hakeemtheking and ROXTXIA like this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This should end his campaign imo.

ROXTXIA and Invisible Fan like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'd imagine he'd stay to raise more money and bask in the glory of a not so secret farewell tour, but I consider him more a grandstanding do nothing egomaniac than other people here.

If anything, he still needs to annoit a successor, whatever that means...

jiggyfly and justtxyank like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, it's unfortunate but I agree.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Most of them are. Sanders isn't going to win the nomination and he has to know that at this point. If he were a true believer he would get out of the race now and endorse Warren which would likely end this whole thing. (FWIW, I'm rooting for him to stay in for just that reason lol)

As long as he is in the race, Warren has to fight extra hard to overtake Biden. The best thing for Biden right now is the field to stay inflated. If this gets down to a two person race he probably loses.

Nook, Hakeemtheking, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  11. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Depends on what he had done.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It will make people think twice, or thrice, about electing a near-octogenarian, yes. (Not that Biden is far behind him in the age department.)

Two stents in a blocked artery.
    I'd wondered about him. He'd had those hands on the knees, kinda-beat look to him; I attributed it to relentless campaigning, advanced age. What he's doing would be tough on someone half his age.

B-Bob likes this.
  13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Black don't crack, and reptilian don't get ill man.

Nook likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hope he comes out of this alright and as strong as ever

Nook, jcf, Invisible Fan and 2 others like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Stents are no big deal - but even if Bernie is not the nominee, he should be the VP.

DD

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's not the end, but it is the beginning of the end IMO.

Fair or not, this may cause some voters to shift their allegiance and put him too far behind to catch up.

Nook and ryan_98 like this.
  17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Wishing him a speedy recovery. He is not my guy but he changed the game and is a national treasure.

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I don't know if Sanders will leave the race, but if he does it could only help Warren and push her to the Democratic nomination.

justtxyank likes this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Whomever we elect (and please recover fully, Bernie), I do think the country, especially in this century, needs someone not in their 70's or 80's to lead. I'm not saying that as specifically anti-Trump or anti-anyone specifically, but just the reality of the pace and technology of information and events around the globe. I'm a lot younger than these folks (jokes aside), and I would already find what a president faces absolutely dizzying and overwhelming. Nevermind someone my parents' age.

Yes, agist.

Nook, jcf, Invisible Fan and 3 others like this.
  20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Yep. People may disagree with some of his policies, but let's all remember the $15/hour minimum wage push all started with him.

Sanders is a good dude.

FranchiseBlade likes this.