1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Tigers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 13, 2019.

1. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

We wouldn’t need him to. We have Gurriel at first and Brantley could DH

raining threes likes this.
  2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Springer on pace for 59 bombs

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

4. Buck Turgidson

What you're counting as the first .1 of the streak was a FC that scored a run. I wouldn't count that personally, so I have no idea where he officially stands.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Pretty sure that regardless of where he stands, we have effectively jinxed him

SWTsig, desihooper, JeeberD and 2 others like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Brantley is on record as absolutely hating to DH (though he's killed the ball there this year and for his career), and Hinch/Luhnow have said that the rotating DH is something they want to keep doing (hence Alvarez needing to play a decent enough LF to keep his bat in the lineup once he's called up).

When Altuve comes back they have a decision to make re: 13 man staff vs extra position player.

7. SemisolidSnake

Reddick has the other one. See here. Unfortunately, they don't seem to display the details of the actual catch, so until proven otherwise, I'm going to presume it was his home run theft catch on Pence.

This thread is the most positive thing I've seen anywhere in a long time. So let's add to it. Apparently, our crushing offensive team with its crazy pitchers on amazing streaks is ALSO the best fielding team in baseball. They talked a lot about that last night on the broadcast and about how much the pitchers (like Pressly) love it and are glad to say so.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Just based on the eye test, Correa is having an excellent fielding season.

mikol13 likes this.
  9. SemisolidSnake

Yeah. Correa has always been a top-notch fielder from what I've seen. If the league wasn't stacked with top-notch shortstops, he'd already have a Gold Glove. Even when he was struggling at the plate last year, his defense was continually excellent. That arm, man...

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

If someone's playing a better SS I'd like to know who and how.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It doesn't seem like a hard decision to me. Framber and Devo are only being used in mop up duty, no reason both of them should be on the roster. 13 pitchers is simply not necessary.

Kemp or White probably only have a few weeks left to make some kind of statement. I'm a little surprised we haven't given Alvarez more reps at 1B this season. Even if you don't view him there long term, our OF is crowded as hell if you include him and Tucker.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They make more outs. Story in Colorado is making an extra out a game.

Granted I haven't seen Colorado play this year. Correa is a good defensive SS, but there are quicker guys that can cover more ground. For his size, Correa is great.

#72 Joe Joe, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Buck Turgidson

I don't recall a whole lot of plays where I said "a different guy would have got to that one". From what I've seen, calling him a "good" defensive SS this year is a large undersell.

I still haven't figured out how IF shifts are reflected in defensive stats.

15. Buck Turgidson

Oh I know, I just have no idea what the Stros thoughts are on this, they've liked the 13 man staff in the past. After Thursday they go 13 without an off day, then 10, then they play a 2 game series and have another off day (wtf, MLB?), then 10, then they go 6, off day, 2 off day, 3 All Star Break (seriously, wtf MLB?). They may want the extra pitcher, especially with Martin in the rotation along with Peacock.

At a quick glance, Devo has options and I would love to see him in RR getting regular work.

#75 Buck Turgidson, May 14, 2019
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

What is your explanation on Story making 50 something more plays this year? Great defensive SS's make plays. Don't need advanced stats when the difference in outs is ~50. If eyeball tests can't detect 50 outs, maybe we should scrap eyeball tests as they are obviously flawed.

17. SemisolidSnake

They did some little vignette on ATT about how when they brought Chirinos in, his catching technique needed to be radically adjusted. He always was angled to the side instead of being squared up to the pitcher, and the Rangers had never done anything to fix it. So in the couple months they had to work with him during the offseason and spring training, former catcher Hinch and the rest of the crew fixed it. So, he'd been using poor technique for his whole career, and when he came here they got him using proper technique, and he's doing a phenomenal job so far. I wish I could remember where that segment was. It was in the past week or two. I think it was Julia segment from Astros Bases Loaded or something where they could focus on it, but I believe Todd and Geoff have also mentioned it in-game.

What I love is that THAT'S COACHING. Instead of just bringing a guy in and expecting him to be exactly what you get from him coming in, nothing more, nothing less, you actually take him, work with him, and improve him. To change a catcher's in-built technique in a couple months to go play MLB-grade baseball...that's a tough chore. I love it.

I wish we had a coaching staff on the Rockets that believed they could improve individual players' games while they're on the team.

As for why he's batting so well, I mean, it could be any number of reasons, but being on supportive team and also being around guys like Brantley who are having noticeable effects on other players' batting, notably Springer...well, that might be part of it.

Jake Tower, Marteen and snowconeman22 like this.
  18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

It’s not like there isn’t an explanation for that. Do Colorado pitchers induce more ground balls? That would be a good reason. Also, no way in hell someone is getting to 50 balls this year that Correa couldn’t. Correa is big for a SS but he does cover ground.

19. Buck Turgidson

I have no idea, like you I haven't watched a second of Colorado this year.

The first thing I did notice though is that there is a sizable difference in the amount of ground balls induced by the Rockies staff versus the Astros.

2nd thing I noticed is that Storey has played about 37 more innings than CC.

I'm going to stop noticing things now. When I said "playing a better SS than Carlos" it's really a moot question. There are a few very good SS's and without any sort of serious analysis (including the eyeball test, yes) it's pointless to try and make major separations. I do love the Fielding Bible's methodology, it's quite selfish of them to not give away their proprietary info during the season (at least not that I know of).

My point was that Carlos has been playing a very, very good SS this year, and that's all that really matters.

#79 Buck Turgidson, May 14, 2019
    Tomstro likes this.
  20. plee

plee Member

#1 - Get him away from the Rangers...

Jake Tower likes this.