1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dragic price tag in upcoming free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Mar 20, 2012.

Tags:
?

What will it cost to keep Dragic?

1. $2.5 to $3.5Mil

6 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. $3.5 to $5mil

50 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. MLE

107 vote(s)
    37.7%
  4. $6 to $8mil

105 vote(s)
    37.0%
  5. MAX

10 vote(s)
    3.5%
  6. Let him go

6 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

After watching his inspired play this season, especially the last few games, the question is what will it cost to keep The Dragon?

2 people like this.
  2. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Point Guards who will be Free Agents in 2012:
    Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Chauncey Billups, Jason Kidd, Lou Williams (ETO), Ramon Sessions (P), Jeremy Lin (R), Andre Miller, Kirk Hinrick, Jameer Nelson, Baron Davis, Jordan Farmar (P), DJ Augustin (R), Raymond Felton, Aaron Brooks (R)

Probable teams with ~8 million+ in cap space:
    Boston, Charlotte, Cleveland, Denver, Indiana, Nets, Hornets, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, Toronto

While Goran has done will, with that list of PG's being FA I don't think he will be paid as much as people think. Remember that Houston does not get the press or attention that other places do. If Houston misses the playoffs, I think it will be even more so.

Goran will want to be starter though, and that will drive his decision making for this contrat. Not sure the Rockets will have the guts to trade Lowry in a package for a high pick/big name star, so that Goran will want to stay.

1 person likes this.
  3. conquistador#11

offer him shane battier money and promise him 30 minutes a game. He can be our european manu. It's not like there is a lot to pick from in free agency anyways. (you'll have martin's contract coming off the books in 2013) So spend it on goran. Pay the man his euros!

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

It's time to trade Lowry and re-sign Goran.

5. ThaShark316_28

I'm thinking he might get Lowry-type money....

The Rockets bringing him (and Lee) back will all be determined on what happens during the draft. Rockets are going to try to get that big man AGAIN with picks being involved.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

For Goran, its all about the right team. If the right team has cap space, I could see him getting a large offer but for a smaller time frame. I still think that this is a new era in the NBA Cap Space Age and teams will not offer any more than 3.5MM for 4 seasons or 5MM for two seasons plus a team option for the third.

The Rockets shouldn't assume that Goran wouldn't want to come back depending on what happens on draft night.

7. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

This is a serious decision we will need to make. Why would Goran re-sign here when he can start elsewhere? He would do what is best for his himself and career (as he should).

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

I see our problem re-signing him being more that he will want to start than the monetary cost. That said, I think some team will offer him at least $6M per season, looking at his performance as a starter and his physical tools.

One thing has become clear: Dragic's assist numbers were lower than Lowry's because he played SG so much, and because he played with a weaker offensive second unit. He can pass at least as well as Kyle if not better.

9. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I think we should let him go. As much as I love Dragic I still think Lowry is the better POINT GUARD.

10. jopatmc

He would re-sign here to be the starter if the money was right.

11. olajuyao

olajuyao Member

Dragic is consistent and has an amazing bball I.Q. as much I hated this guy he can be our John Stockton just basic fundamentals. Give him a nice paycheck!

12. jopatmc

I loved his enthusiasm after the game. Seems like a great kid.

13. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

With the exception of Nash and Williams. I think Goran is on par or better then any of the other guys you listed.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Its looking like MLE, at least. I hope we can find a way to keep him at a decent price.

Is it a blessing or a curse to have two PGs who are more than capable of being starters on good teams?

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I can't see us resigning him unless we trade Lowry. The kid deserves to start and everyone knows it. The Lakers will definitely throw the MLE at him.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Blessing of course, I just wish Dragic wasn't a UFA.

17. BoomTown

BoomTown Member

Dragic will get offers of that around Lowrys current contract.

IMO we will not have both Lowry and Dragic next season...we cant afford to pay a bench player the same amount as the starter. I would imagine that we trade Lowry at the draft or let Dragic walk. Not a good situation. Love both the guys.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's a good situation if we get a top 5 pick or an all-star player for Lowry while keeping Dragic :cool:

19. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Would you rather have Lowry by himself, or Dragic + Legit big acquired via trade of Lowry.

20. BoomTown

BoomTown Member

yes sir I agree...I meant bad situation as in the management has to make a tough decision