1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dragic price tag in upcoming free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Mar 20, 2012.

Tags:
?

What will it cost to keep Dragic?

1. $2.5 to $3.5Mil

6 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. $3.5 to $5mil

50 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. MLE

107 vote(s)
    37.7%
  4. $6 to $8mil

105 vote(s)
    37.0%
  5. MAX

10 vote(s)
    3.5%
  6. Let him go

6 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

People forget that size commands money in the NBA. I expect Goran to fetch a reasonable $5 million per. There are a lot of good point guards in the NBA now. Its not like it was 5 years ago.

2. stefanb

stefanb Member

yup, if dragic keeps playing like this i wouldn't be mad at all if we traded lowry. it might be too early to tell right now but i really like dragic.

3. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

+1 :grin:

4. what

what Member

I'd be shocked if he got over 3 million a year. Maybe a 3 year 10 million dollar deal.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Way too optimistic. I predict he will get approximately twice that much per season and probably more years as well.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think it has been going up steadily. Full MLE.

7. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Gotta keep Dragic;. I was so disappointing after we lost Hayes. I really dont want to lose Dragic. Him and Parsons are my favorite players on this team now.

8. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I like Dragic's passion, heart and his humility. I feel that he wants to be here too.

9. chapinha_br

chapinha_br Member

We should'n let him go. Him and Lowry make a great tandem

10. Memento

Memento Member

this is one of phoenix fans posts reguarding dragic, they all want him back if Blanks decides to bring him back im afraid dragic will be gone, because he loved phoenix at the time and he still do... :(

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think Phoenix will concentrate their efforts on bringing back Nash, otherwise they would have traded him. They want him to retire a Sun. If they re-sign Nash then I don't see Dragic going back there. He will want to start wherever he plays.

That also means we probably can't re-sign him unless Lowry is traded.

12. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Dragic is unrestricted free agent

Question
    did houston has any advantage to resign him?
    Birds rights helps in this situation?

13. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

I hate to hear that, but I'm beginning to think it's the truth. Watching the past three games we really have seen a superb chemistry between Dragic, Lee, & Parsons. Being that they are all so young, it seems logical to build off those three guys as our core. I LOVE Lowry, and Scola. But if you can move them for a big/athletic PF that can stick around for a while, then IMO we are set. Seems like Lowry+Scola could have gotten us Pao, so I wonder who else it could get us.

But ... if Les/DM don't want to do that I'd be alright keeping them, of course. I don't think we've seen Lowry's ceiling yet. But I don't understand how teams can draft a good player (or trade for young player) and once he becomes starter quality keep him. It seems many good teams have that ... guys who could easily be starting with many other teams stick around to be one of the primary options off the bench. Those are the guys who know what it takes to get rings. For some reason we have a hard time with that ... we're always working someone new in off the bench because the last guy who came off the bench got good and went somewhere else to start. If we can keep guys like Dragic/Lee/KMart (off the bench when back?) then we don't constantly have the 'chemistry' issue to overcome.

How do they say it ... ? "TAKE ONE FOR THE TEAM!"

14. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I remember Dragic saying he liked it here. I do not remember his exact words but he said something along the lines of not wanting to be traded by the suns but happy he landed here. He said this was a good situation. ANd after last nights game he seemed to be very happy to be here.

There is something about the foreign players being very content on staying in one place. Yao never wanted to leave here, same with Scola and Nowitzki at Dallas. Most of them when they get to be free agents they want to stay with their team.

I suspect Dragic wants the some thing. He is clearly happy here.

I got to believe Morey is too smart not to have a pretty good understanding of what it takes to sign him. He has probably had a face to face with him saying "Goran we really are happy with you". We think you are important of this franchises future and we really want to keep you. And Gran responded by saying I want to stay here. I do not want to go anywhere else. I got to believe that because he is too smart to lose Dragic for nothing.

I think Dragic just wants the opportunity to start. And if Lowry comes back and they leave Dragic as the starter that will go a long way to keeping him here.

Also the way you resign Lee is let the market determine his value. The way you resign Dragic is give him a fair offer ASAP. With a lack of talented unrestricted FA's and a lot of teams with cap space this offseason the market will over price Dragic.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Since Goran is in Houston, I believe they can offer a higher rate of raises per year and one more year than any other team, right?

So there are some advantages for Morey, if Dragic gets a good 4 year offer from somewhere else, hopefully his camp gives Morey a chance to better that offer, and add a year as well.

One would think that would be good for everyone.

DD

16. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

He likes it here. He seems like he may even love it. That's the advantage. If we give him a decent amount not even his market value and the starting job there is no question in my mind he will sign with us. We don't even have to trade Lowry away. Just don't take the starting job away from Dragic when Lowry returns. That will go along way in showing Dragic he can have that job if he just outplays Lowry.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Lowry is still the better all-around player. But Dragic to me has closed the gap considerably with this recent surge.

I think they'll really consider trading K-Low mainly in a numbers game. We can keep Dragic and trade Lowry, we can't keep Lowry and trade Dragic. I'm assuming only way Dragon comes back is as a starter. Not that I think Dragic is a better player, but its close.

We can get something big for Lowry, we won't be able to get anything for Dragic. I'd really like to keep them both. Dragic shouldn't make too much more than the MLE, so even their combined contracts would still be very manageable. If Dragic is content off the bench, I'm positive Lowry won't be happy going back to the bench.

C-Lee is coming back. Martin is a goner, but Morey does seem to have a disturbing attachment to him. I'm hoping Morey's just playing hardball and doesn't really value Martin as much as he claims to.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Making Lowry go back to being a bench player could easily become a toxic situation, and furthermore I don't actually believe Dragic is better than Lowry. I think he has closed the gap some but Lowry still edges Goran out due to his rebounding abilities.

I think it makes a f***ton of sense to trade Lowry in the offseason for a big return if Goran will come back as the starter. I don't see a situation working out where they are both Rockets in 2012-13.

19. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I think we will keep both Dragic and Lowry for assurance purposes our team looks horrible with out a GOOD point guard running the show and injuries happen all the time.
    The real question is who are we keeping Kevin Martin or Courtney Lee I think one of those 2 is expendable the way Chandler Parsons played D on Kobe last night one of them has to go, I think its time to flip one of them.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

If the Rockets want him back, they can keep him by outbidding anyone else. And I sincerely doubt Dragic loves Phoenix so much, the team that traded him away, that he'd forgo more money.

Of course, this is all based on the assumption that no other team give him an insane offer that the Rockets can't possibly match.