1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Astros Draft Pick Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros and Nix were trying to do the same thing. I don't see how one can be viewed as gaming the system when the other isn't. I do see the Astros and Nix pushing the system farther than original designers thought could be done, but the original designers meant for this type of deal to be done.

The rules may change to limit what the Astros are doing, but I think overall it fits the intent of the draft to help the worst teams.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I just consider Nix's actions as more "keeping his options open"... and that was allowed under the old rules/system. Not really manipulating a new system in order to utilize an increased dollar pool (for sucking) to its max effectiveness, but at the same time leaving potential signees in limbo if things fall through. Again, nobody forced the Astros to make the decision to draft Nix... but once they did, and met his price, they were potentially bound to an agreement.

Astros colored glasses, man... take em off ;). U can still be a fan without them.

The easiest fix would be that they can't pocket slot-savings... or simply that there's a limit on to how far over-slot you can go for these later round picks that are intending to go to college.

I agree that the intent is that players can't hold out so that only big market teams can draft them.... that has been met.

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Astros Could Still Reach Deal With Brady*Aiken <a href="http://t.co/SsK1KldIMD">http://t.co/SsK1KldIMD</a></p>&mdash; MLB Trade Rumors (@mlbtraderumors) <a href="https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/statuses/502491823747497984">August 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Astros Could Still Reach Deal With Brady Aiken
    By Mark Polishuk [August 21, 2014 at 11:25am CDT]

The Astros could still end up signing first overall draft pick Brady Aiken, and “the expectation from those close to the negotiation” is that the two sides will reach an agreement around the time of Jacob Nix‘s grievance hearing, Fangraphs’ Kiley McDaniel reports (Twitter links). The MLBPA filed the grievance on Nix’s behalf last month, and the hearing will reportedly be held during the offseason.

As McDaniel puts it, the possibility of Aiken inking a deal beyond the July 18th deadline for signing draft picks is an “MLB’s discretion situation.” It had been presumed that Houston had forfeited their right to sign Aiken (plus Nix and 21st-rounder Mac Marshall) when they couldn’t reach agreements with any of the players by July 18th. In failing to sign Aiken, the Astros received the second overall pick in the 2015 draft as compensation.

Aiken had a verbal agreement in place with the Astros just a few days after he was selected as the #1 pick in the 2014 draft, but no official deal was finalized due to the team’s concerns over Aiken’s unusually small UCL, a detail discovered during a post-draft physical. This led Houston to drop their offer from the agreed-upon $6.5MM bonus (which was already over $1.4MM below the assigned slot price of the first overall pick) to $5MM. This set off a chain reaction that caused the Astros to pull their $1.5MM agreement with Nix off the table, as signing Nix at that price would’ve put the Astros over their draft pool limit and put them in danger of facing penalties such as the loss of two future first-round picks.

Needless to say, it would be surprising to see Aiken wind up wearing the Astros orange given the harsh words that Casey Close (the agent for both Aiken and Nix) had for the organization and GM Jeff Luhnow in the wake of the controversy. As it stands, Aiken would have to either attend a junior college and re-enter the draft next year or commit to a college and not be able to turn pro for three more years. It’s possible the high schooler is simply eager to begin his professional career and/or wants some financial security now, given that anything could happen to lower his stock over the next 1-3 years.

For the Astros, signing Aiken would help the team save face after it was widely criticized for its handling of the situation. Aiken has until September 1 to file a grievance himself, though that deadline could be extended.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't see how a person can be a fan of the Astros without Astros-colored glasses. It doesn't mean I think the Astros do everything right, but it means I can enjoy a game watching young guys develop even if it ends in a loss this season. I've had a lot of fun watching the Astros this season when I can. It reminds me of watching Pence when he first came up...except there are more of him and more of him coming.

I don't know if the Astros will develop into a contending team in the next three years, but the future looks a lot brighter for the Astros than it has in nearly a decade. I hope it isn't a mirage.

5. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Regarding a report the Astros could still sign top-draft pick Brady Aiken, owner Jim Crane:&quot;There's nothing 2report,nothing going on there&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/502495979166130176">August 21, 2014</a></blockquote>

I wonder if this is a smokescreen kind of thing, or just Jim Crane being a buzzkill.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

A decade ago (2005), or nearly so, the future may have looked bright to some, but certainly turned out not to be.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

We're all fans here... that's why we still follow this team. I think everybody wants what you want.

Just some people (maybe not you) tend to ALWAYS take the team's side or the front office's side, on any issue (whether it be the Aiken fiasco, or trades, or Springer, etc.)... and the spin gets old after awhile. What's worse is the anger/vitriol that gets exhumed around here whenever the front office or team gets criticized... as if fans are not allowed to do that.

You do have to admit that there are fans who can follow the team greatly, but still not be totally biased/homerific on every single issue.... I too can watch this team and get enjoyment from the simple things.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

2005 was very exciting, but I recall thinking it was definitely a win now type of feel because the team was really old.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I will say I tend to side with the team's side as I generally give them the benefit of doubt. I know I get defensive as it seems that sometimes you (sorry, but this is my impression sometimes) take the position against the Astros or assume the worst. As you say the spin gets old, I know I am biased*...but I also assume everyone else is as well. The way you view others is probably exactly how others view you except in reverse.

For instance, I can't see how Nix's "agent" would not know that the Astros offer was dependent on Nix and Aiken passing their physicals. Everything was smooth on the Nix front as he was waiting for Aiken to sign after his physical. I don't see how the Aiken situation is a fiasco outside of perception. If the Astros were winning right now, it wouldn't be an issue. The Astros aren't winning and a player failing a physical gets tied into the narrative that the team front office is bad...which is was for many years. It still may be, but it will take time to tell.

*edit..meant biased when originally said unbiased.

10. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

I want the word homerific to be used more often.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I was probably more biased when I was younger... hell, I'm probably still biased towards the Texans because their success was relatively "new" and "short-lived", and I was tired of all the pessimism surrounding them (which came back in full-force last year).

I definitely don't intend to "troll" or argue for the sake of arguing... and of course I'm still a fan and will support the team throughout its existence. While I admire the job this front office has done with it's "unique" way of rebuilding (and trusting the fans to stick with them and come back after they've killed off virtually all baseball interest in this city), they certainly haven't accomplished enough (for me) to automatically earn the benefit of the doubt... and I don't feel bad to call them out on things I don't inherently agree with (and I still agree with "most" things... well maybe not Bo Porter moves).

12. Fantasma Negro

Smokescreen

13. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The expectation from those close to the negotiation is that Brady Aiken will end up making a deal with the Astros around the Nix hearing.</p>&mdash; Kiley McDaniel (@kileymcd) <a href="https://twitter.com/kileymcd/statuses/502470252027207680">August 21, 2014</a></blockquote>

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It has happened before as I recall. MLB can do whatever they want.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I wonder who that someone CLOSE to the negotiation is? I wonder how CLOSE this person is to Aiken's advisor.

16. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

So if we ultimately sign Aiken, do we lose the #2 pick next year?

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure that would be the case.... but it would be better than losing the next two first round picks if MLB sided with Nix.

18. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

haha did you really have to ask this question?

19. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

I thought if MLB sides with Nix... The Astros will be allowed to sign Aiken + Nix to original deals and the Astros obviously lose the 2015 1.2?

Why would there be a two 1st round pick penalty?

20. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

If they side with Nix in the grievance his deal for 1.5 or so million goes through. It has no bearing on Aiken's deal. But if they are forced to sign Nix his bonus counts against their pool and after losing Aiken's slot they would be over enough to force them to pay a 100% tax and lose 2 future 1st round picks.
    That is why there is talk that they will eventually petition MLB to allow them to agree to a deal with Aiken that would preserve the slot money and allow them to finalize their deal with Nix.