1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Astros Draft Pick Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jun 7, 2014.

1. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

At this point, give me Correa over Buxton because of positional value.

But yes, it would be nice to have Bryant over Appel and Rodon over nobody.

2. Buck Turgidson

It's Rodon over *somebody*.

And mentioning him making his AAA debut is about as pertinent to the current Astros as me saying Derek Jeter will be inducted into the HOF in 6 years.

3. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Yes, before the draft we created threads specifically made for who we could draft. Yes, we drafted Aiken. No Rodon is not related to this thread. This thread is about draft picks that the Astros drafted. Not Rodon. Go bump a Rodon thread, or a MLB draft thread. Also, if we had drafted Rodon I am pretty sure he would not be in AAA. The CWS organization seems more open to fast tracking their guys

McCullers is struggling. Ok. FO sucks for getting a top 10 talent in the Comp Round. He is still young and in Lancaster, so I am not too worried? Rio Ruiz is not well thought of? They were able to get a Moran in a trade. It does not hurt to get another good 3rd basemen, especially since draft prospects fail all the time and they liked him enough to consider him for first overall.

I'll take Correa over Buxton. Bryant, yep, but the Cubs too had Appel above bryant on their draft list. Bryant has just exploded while Appel has been bad to meh. Not much you can do there. What if we had drafted Jeter over Nevin, Trout over Mier, Sale over DDJ, Castellanos/Walker/Syndergaard/Sanchez/Ranaudo over Kvasnicka. These draft prospects are all chance.

Back on topic, has anything been resolved yet? I think both players filed grievances a few weeks ago.

4. Nook

Nook Member

#1 Rodon wasn't drafted by the Astros
    #2 Rodon has pitched a total of 12 innings in the minors.
    #3 How in the hell did you conclude Rio isn't well thought of?
    #4 Correa is on par with Buxton.
    #5 McCullers is a K machine, he needs better control is advanced for his age.

5. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

McCullers will be better than Folty.

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: The grievance filed against the Astros following the draft was on behalf of Jacob Nix —*not Brady Aiken <a href="http://t.co/UKMsPAewdg">http://t.co/UKMsPAewdg</a></p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/statuses/502094238746566660">August 20, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That is stupid. Dude was trying to manipulate the system too. If he wanted his money, he should not have told teams he was going to go to college to drive up his price.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I feel bad for Nix. He got screwed out of $1.5M.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Mac Marshall got every bit as screwed, his deal was done too.

That's what this is really about. Close represented Nix and Aiken, he wanted Marshall squeezed out and his guys paid.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't think Marshall got as screwed. He wasn't going to sign, until Aiken's physical opened the door. If Aiken's UCL was normal, Marshall would still be at LSU.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

How did him saying he was going to college drive up his price???

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He knew that any team drafting him would have to blow him away with an offer for him to decide to forego college. We were having to offer him way overslot (1.5 mil > 370k) in order for him to consider taking it. Had he not told teams he was going to school, he could've been drafted much earlier and made a lot of money anyway. He was trying to game the system as well and it bit him in the ass as well as the Astros, mainly thanks to the MLB's idiotic system.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Again, if all he wanted was money... As you said... He could have just entered the draft without a college commitment.

The Astros are the ones who "wanted" him and were willing to meet his price. Whether or not there was an actual agreement is the point of contention... And if there was something in writing (which would be highly stupid of the Astros), Nix will have a case. Nix didn't hold the Astros or MLB hostage and force them to draft him or force them to offer him this deal. I doubt he files a grievance if he simply went undrafted.

But he definitely was not "gaming" the system, and I don't see how him declaring to go to college "drove up his price" compared to had he not made that intention known. He just wasn't going to pass up college unless he was guaranteed to get a certain amount (which he thought he had).

#733 Nick, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I will say that while he wasn't guilty of gaming the system, he was trying to dictate his own terms (which was done quite a bit under the old system).

Had he been drafted in the pre-slot era, he likely would have only been able to be signed by a big market team willing to overspend and withstand the "stern looks" from Selig (something Drayton was always reluctant to do).

On the flip-side, the slot system was never intended to be used as the Astros have used it... And while they benefitted from it two years ago (as innovators) it came back to bite them this time (and hopefully won't cost them picks).

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think Nix was gaming the system. The system was convoluted and in my mind made that way so players and agents have some wiggle room. On the flip side, his "agent" knew perfectly well that Nix signing for $1.5 million was contingent on Aiken signing for less. His "agent" also knew that Aiken's signing was dependent on Aiken passing his physical. I have a hard time believing Astros didn't make this perfectly clear.

Astros weren't trying to game the system. They drafted the best guys they thought they could sign. Astros wanted to sign Aiken and Nix. With Aiken's physical, Astros decided that the number 2 pick in the draft next year was worth more than post-physical Aiken and Nix, but not worth those two plus Mac. Atros wanted Aiken to pass the physical.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I meant it from the standpoint of them attempting to exploit the slot/pool system via the application of savings obtained by signing players to below slot... and re-appropriating that money to sign other players for far over-slot. There's nothing malicious about what they were doing... but it certainly wasn't what the original intent of the new system to work it that way.

We'll see if the "rules get changed" in order to prevent future situations such as this.

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The expectation from those close to the negotiation is that Brady Aiken will end up making a deal with the Astros around the Nix hearing.</p>&mdash; Kiley McDaniel (@kileymcd) <a href="https://twitter.com/kileymcd/statuses/502470252027207680">August 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

WTF?????

Like a deal deal? Like he's going to pitch in the organization, deal? Like there's money for both of them, deal?

What will that do to the hallowed compensation pick for next year?

#738 Nick, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  19. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I didn't know that was even a possibility. After the signing deadline, how can a player come to terms with a team? Maybe there's special exclusions, such as medical reasons, I'm gonna research during lunch.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

According to that guy's twitter feed, he said it would be an "MLB discretionary" situation.

I doubt they'd be able to make deals with them AND get the compensation pick for next year... but then again, perhaps MLB is telling them that since they had a deal with Nix in place, and they didn't sign Aiken, they'd have to forfeit draft picks as a penalty if things stay as is (which would be the worst case scenario).

At that point, if a deal "could" be made, they'd probably take it over the compensation pick (but being forced to forfeit their first and second round picks).