1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Astros Draft Pick Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But if he's a top 3 prospect next year, and still shows the stuff of a #1 pick that they loved in the first place, how silly is it that we haggled over $1.5 million with the hope of signing some other prospects (Marshall) who may/may not pan out? (just like Aiken may or may not get injured)?

Also, considering Rodon got $6.5 million as the #3 pick, Aiken may turn out just fine.

#701 Nick, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Seeing how Aiken is never going to be drafted in the first round again, I can not see why he would care either way.

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Spending a year at a podunk JC in Arizona over getting a $5 million check?

[​IMG]

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Is this an opinion, or a fact?

I don't think his "injury issue" is all that cut/dry. All it takes is one team's doctor to say its ok... and I think team Aiken got the answer they needed from their second opinions enough to take this $5 million dollar risk.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Teams can't examine until they draft him. That is his biggest problem.

6. xcrunner51

He can offer to take any physical/get any MRI as far as I know. For anyone else it'd be foolish for the exact scenario that happened to Aiken but now that the onus is on him to prove he's not flawed he should be releasing MRI's to whoever wants to see them.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think they will if/once he gets through his JC year without any issues (and has a good showing).

Once he puts himself in position to make somebody consider taking him early, we will see all sorts of second opinions, diagnoses', and MRI results released by him and his agent. They've been appropriately "quiet" after rejecting the Astros last-ditch offers as there is no reason for them to say anything regarding his condition right now (although their actions of rejecting the offer speak pretty loudly).

If he goes to JC and does poorly, or blows out his arm, they would have looked foolish by releasing all of his medical history that they believe (or have been told) to be ok at the moment.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I agree. Aiken now has to release his MRIs to teams who want to draft, especially if the pick would be in the first round.

Whatever Luhnow saw in those MRIs that made him balk, all of the other of teams will also see. I can not believe that a team would potentially waste a first round pick on Aiken, if the team saw a medical issue that would prevent Aiken from reaching his potential. First round picks are too valuable. Teams need to maximize the possibility of getting a starting MLB player from the first pick.

IIRC 50% of drafted pitchers will get TJ surgery in their career. The reported problem with Aiken is that he can not have a TJ surgery. If he injures his elbow, his career may be over.

9. xcrunner51

Devils advocate: there's no reason not to reason the MRI's now either. Good or bad JUCO season it doesn't change what people want to know.

You could argue PR reasons for his silence (which is what I think) but bottomline is his current pitching performance was never the dealbreaker for the Astros (and by extension other teams).

10. htownbball

htownbball Member

Carlos Rodon is in AAA now...

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I didn't realize Rodon was an Astros draft pick

Reading comprehension is really lacking these days.

12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I hear what you are saying, but to be fair we read for over a year about the excitement if him joining our organization.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't see the relation to this thread other than troll motives.

14. htownbball

htownbball Member

Yes, my reading comprehension is terrible. Thanks for pointing that out.

Why you gotta be such a dik?

15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Fair enough, I think it is worthy discussion but should be in the Luhnow thread not here

16. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

You literally offer nothing to this entire subforum other than an occasional drive-by troll post. It gets old.

That's why he's a dik.

17. htownbball

htownbball Member

No relation? Troll?

So we talk about Rodon for a year up to the draft. Scout him, have threads on him, etc. We pass on him for someone who doesn't end up signing, then we see him rocket through the minors, and we can't even mention that?

Maybe I should have added to the end of that post, "The Astros were completely justified in their pick of Brady Aiken since he was so polished and would have been in the majors in no time."

I wasn't trying to be a troll, I just wanted to point out that we maybe...just MAYBE made the wrong pick here based on all that's happened (I know hindsight is 20/20, but just humor me)

McCullers is struggling, Rio Ruiz seems like he's not thought of much by the front office, and Appel has been up and down this year.

What if we had Buxton, Bryant, and Rodon...what if.

In any case, hope Correa develops into his power next year. Was hoping he'd blast at least 20 this year, his body really developed over the offseason.

18. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Can you please provide some support for the bolded claim, because this is entirely new to me.

19. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

This isn't about a single post.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rodon has no place in a thread about tracking Astro draft picks. I would not have called it troll if it was done in a way to associate it with the Astros in a more appropriate thread.