1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

South Carolina cop charged with murder in black man's death

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, Apr 7, 2015.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It's the whole process of how he treated the situation. There were multiple officers on the scene (6 total?). Why is it so hard to have him stay on the ground with his hands where they can see them? Keep a gun pointed at him. Have a couple of the other officers pat him down and cuff him. He tells him to keep his hands over his head, then he wants him to go down and crawl towards him.

I have no idea how I would act (as the suspect) in the same situation. Gun pointed at me. Officer giving me inconsistent commands. Knowing how trigger happy some (fortunately a small number - but all it takes is one) police are.

Yung-T and Duncan McDonuts like this.
  2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

DonnyMost and bobrek are both making really reasonable arguments. The victim was reported for aiming his air rifle out a window. Not the brightest bulb there. It makes sense why the police were very on edge with him since he was seen with a rifle, he may have a handgun. Apparently he was intoxicated, too, making his judgments pretty bad.

The protocols and training should probably be changed. In a small hallway like that, the cops could have advanced in twos side-by-side to clear the pair while they lay still on the floor. The first pair of advancers will keep their rifles pointed at each suspect while the ones following behind will frisk and clear each individual suspect as they control the situation.

Limit the chance of movement for the suspects. Their movements are unpredictable so have them stay as still as possible while police control the situation.

Given that police were called because the victim was aiming a weapon out the window, and his reach towards his waist, I can see why the cop was acquitted. Tragic all around.

3. cml750

cml750 Member

The cop should end up in jail for this or worse.