1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Mr. Space City

even if you think the texans "weapons" rivals the chiefs, the playcalling is not even close to the same.

the playcalling and execution is what made the chiefs weapons pop. gotta also count on the 1st down 0 yard HB dive and a Tunsil false start to ruin a drive.

2. blackistan

blackistan Member

Funny how some folks still riding with Bob the clown I'm just waiting for the next dumb move he makes...someone needs to tell him he's not Bellichek

3Rings, red5rocket and TheRealist137 like this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This is still better than reddit and thats saying a lot. The amount of dumbassery is on another level on that forum. Those posters are the ones that are gonna still fill the damn stadium.

vinsensual and red5rocket like this.
  4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

There's at least two reasons that come to mind as to why the Texans got OD type production from the the TE, and it wasn't because they had Kevin Walter lol or Jacoby opening up the field. It was AJ taking up the CB1, and the play-action. The Texans don't have that WR1 and don't run the bootleg.

3Rings, RayRay10 and red5rocket like this.
  5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I would like to have seen a competent offensive coordinator utilize hopkins and watson but we wasted years with BoB creating mediocre ones.

SWTsig and 3Rings like this.
  6. raining threes

Correct they dont run the WCO and that's not a bad thing. Remember when people on here used to talk about how predictable Kubiak's WCO was?

7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

You're changing the subject. You can't expect OD like production from an offense that's used the TE as little as it has.

And you're only bringing up OD as a backpedal to your point that the Texans are neck and neck with the Chiefs weapons "minus Mahomes/Kelce" oh you know, just an MVP and their #1 receiving option of the last 4 years.

SWTsig, 3Rings and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  8. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

I agree 100%. I don't post much. But sometimes the dumbassery on display compels me to post.

How can any logical, knowledgeable football fan ignore continuity, injury history, coaching and scheme to even think the Texans are comparable to the Chiefs? I can understand trying to defend OBrien and his questionable decisions, but it appears it's piss not threes that are raining.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

@raining threes is exposing himself as a bob defender and a watson hater. How someone like that develops that viewpoint I have no idea.

TEXNIFICENT and 3Rings like this.
  10. raining threes

I'm not defending BOB and think he should've been fired. I also dont think Watson is good enough to ever win a SB. That doesn't make me a hater. It's just my opinion.

I do like the fact that they added world class speed to the WR position. I also think that Blacklock has a chance to be really special, so I dont have a problem with the Nuk trade.

This doesn't make me a defender of BOB because I dont think he's a good gameday HC or will ever win a SB either.

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You are right it's amazing.

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Reasons why I think u are a Watson Hater

Reason 1: This QB tier list, where u 12 qbs prefer over Watson. like i get it if Watson isn't on the top 5, but no even the top 10 is insane.

1. Mahmes
    2. Rodgers
    3. Wilson
    4. LJ
    5. Brady
    6.Brees
    7. Wentz IMHO

Then you have guys that I like better like

Jimmy G
    Tannehill (this guy's team gameplan was to just let their running back carry)
    Goff
    Murray (this guy literally only played one season)
    Ryan

Reason 2: U can't really use the excuse i dont think a qb is good enough to ever win a SB to hate on a dude. (very few qbsd do)

Reason 3: u literally seem to blame Watson for everything that goes bad on Offense, when u have BoB calling the play. (There's a trend, in the six years of Texans offense with BoB as OC we have yet to produce a top 10 offense)

Reason 4: U attack Watson on everything.

But sure u aren't a Watson hater.

TEXNIFICENT and 3Rings like this.
  13. 3Rings

Winning a Super Bowl is not all on a QB. It takes complementary football, great coaching, and some luck. No one would think Nick Foles, Trent Dilfer, or Brad Johnson would win a SB before Dan Marino or they would win as many SBs as Favre, Brees and Rodgers.

The same thing with BOB. If he would get out of his own way, hire competent coordinators, work on being a better HC than accumulating organizational power, he could also win a SB. It's inexcusable that he is making some of the same game day mistakes in year six that he made in year 1.

For me, coaching matters. A HC's in game decisions, scheme, and talent acquisition matters as much if not more than QB play. Otherwise, more great QBs would have won more than 1 or 2 SBs. I would recommend you spend more time looking at the pass rush, scheme, secondary, OL play, coaching and their impact on our T.E.A.M winning a SB.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. 3Rings

Exactly. He believes BOB's trades and draft picks will be great. Based on past performance, Johnson, Cooks, and Cobb will pickup the offense and improve the team. However, when it comes to Watson, he's not going to improve and will keep the team from winning a SB.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. Sure, he doesn't hate Watson. I've had my fill of dumbassery for the day.

15. raining threes

The Texans do play complimentary football and go as far as there talent takes them every yr.

The one thing is in the playoffs you can get avg to above avg QB play and win if you have a great defense/ST's play. You cant win a SB with subpar QB play. Most of all you need clutch GW drive QB play in the playoffs.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/goal-line-stand/nfls-best-coaches-2020

1. Bill Belichick | Career Record: 273-127 (.683) | With The Patriots Since: 2000 | Last Year’s Ranking: 1
    2. Andy Reid | Career Record: 207-128-1 (.618) | With The Chiefs Since: 2013 | Last Year’s Ranking: 2
    3. Sean Payton | Career Record: 131-77 (.630) | With The Saints Since: 2006 | Last Year’s Ranking: 6
    4. John Harbaugh | Career Record: 118-74 (.615) | With The Ravens Since: 2008 | Last Year’s Ranking: 8
    5. Doug Pederson | Career Record: 38-26 (.594) | With The Eagles Since: 2016 | Last Year’s Ranking: 4
    6. Mike Tomlin | Career Record: 133-74-1 (.642) | With The Steelers Since: 2007 | Last Year’s Ranking: 7
    7. Sean McVay | Career Record: 33-15 (.688) | With The Rams Since: 2017 | Last Year’s Ranking: 3
    8. Kyle Shanahan | Career Record: 23-25 (.479) | With The 49ers Since: 2017 | Last Year’s Ranking: 15
    9. Pete Carroll | Career Record: 133-90-1 (.596) | With The Seahawks Since: 2010 | Last Year’s Ranking: 5
    10. Mike Zimmer | Career Record: 57-38-1 (.599) | With The Vikings Since: 2014 | Last Year’s Ranking: 9
    11. Sean McDermott | Career Record: 25-23 (.521) | With The Bills Since: 2017 | Last Year’s Ranking: 16
    12. Mike Vrabel | Career Record: 18-14 (.563) | With The Titans Since: 2018 | Last Year’s Ranking: 17
    13. Frank Reich | Career Record: 17-15 (.531) | With The Colts Since: 2018 | Last Year’s Ranking: 13
    14. Bruce Arians | Career Record: 56-39-1 (.589) | With The Bucs Since: 2019 | Last Year’s Ranking: — —
    15. Matt LaFleur | Career Record: 13-3 (.813) | With The Packers Since: 2019 | Last Year’s Ranking: — —
    16. Matt Nagy | Career Record: 20-12 (.625) | With The Bears Since: 2018 | Last Year’s Ranking: 12
    17. Bill O’Brien | Career Record: 52-44 (.542) | With The Texans Since: 2014 | Last Year’s Ranking: 14

Every sport needs a few figures who provoke utter bafflement. In the NFL, Bill O’Brien’s capacity to astound knows no bounds. For 2019, he decided he would go 10-6 to win the AFC South for the fourth time in six years … with a -7 point differential. He then oversaw a stirring Wild Card comeback only to blow a 24-0 first half lead in a 51-31 Divisional Round loss. For his six-year career, O’Brien boasts a .542 winning percentage but has outscored his opponents by only 23 points across 96 games. Things grow stranger in the front office, where O’Brien keeps winning power struggles and rewarding himself with promotions. He actually did not intend for that to be the case in 2019, but when his clumsy pursuit of Patriots executive Nick Caserio turned out to be obvious tampering, he was forced to back away. With no one to check his power this offseason, BOB formally named himself general manager before making one of the worst trades in NFL history. O’Brien didn’t even shop star wideout DeAndre Hopkins, a fact made clear by the fact that other GMs were forced to answer for his inexplicable acquisition of David Johnson. It is easy to believe O’Brien would have long ago been out of a job without Deshaun Watson, though that discounts the fact that he’s won divisions with Brock Osweiler and Brian Hoyer as his primary quarterbacks. Nothing about the man or his football team makes sense. I am not expecting that to change in 2020.

18. Anthony Lynn | Career Record: 26-23 (.531) | With The Chargers Since: 2017 | Last Year’s Ranking: 11
    19. Jon Gruden | Career Record: 106-102 (.510) | With The Raiders Since: 2018 | Last Year’s Ranking: 23
    20. Brian Flores | Career Record: 5-11 (.313) | With The Dolphins Since: 2019 | Last Year’s Ranking: — —
    21. Kliff Kingsbury | Career Record: 5-10-1 (.344) | With The Cardinals Since: 2019 | Last Year’s Ranking: — —
    22. Vic Fangio | Career Record: 7-9 (.438) | With The Broncos Since: 2019 | Last Year’s Ranking: — —
    23. Dan Quinn | Career Record: 43-37 (.538) | With The Falcons Since: 2015 | Last Year’s Ranking: 19
    24. Zac Taylor | Career Record: 2-14 (.125) | With The Bengals Since: 2019 | Last Year’s Ranking: — —
    25. Adam Gase | Career Record: 30-34 (.469) | With The Jets Since: 2019 | Last Year’s Ranking: — —
    26. Matt Patricia | Career Record: 9-22-1 (.297) | With The Lions Since: 2018 | Last Year’s Ranking: 22
    27. Doug Marrone | Career Record: 37-45 (.451) | With The Jaguars Since: 2016 | Last Year’s Ranking: 21

New Hires (In Alphabetical Order)

Joe Judge, Giants | Career Record: — —
    Mike McCarthy, Cowboys | Career Record: 125-77-2 (.618)
    Matt Rhule, Panthers | Career Record: — —
    Ron Rivera, Redskins | Career Record: 76-63-1 (.546)
    Kevin Stefanski, Browns | Career Record: — —

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. raining threes

1. I listed 7 that I think you cant argue about. The rest are personal preference.

2. Regardless of HC I feel this way.

3. There's been regression, not progress by Watson over the last 3 years. You can blame that totally on BOB but at some point it is on the player to improve.

4. Your opinion of my posts and I'm not going to change your mind.

18. raining threes

This list is hilarious.

1. Ranking Kingsbury ahead of a HC that's won a SB (McCarthy) and 2 that made SB's (Rivera/Quinn) is laughable and I cant take this guys opinions seriously.

2. He ranks BOB below Reich/Vrabel yet the Texans have won the division the last two years.

19. raining threes

Just because I think Watson is an avg QB doesn't mean I hate him. In fact I dont hate anybody.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

He didn't rank the new hires (McCarthy/Rivera).

And what has Quinn done since? Blew a 28-3 Super Bowl lead, 10-6, 7-9, 7-9 and fired all his coordinators.

Out of coordinators to fire after 2018 — including special teams — Dan Quinn was reduced to demoting himself following the Falcons’ miserable 2019 start. Quinn’s staff took a collaborative approach to defensive play-calling down the stretch and rallied for a 6-2 finish. Nice, but it was irrelevant thanks to the 1-7 beginning. Through five years, Quinn’s head-coaching career remains one Kyle Shanahan-fueled Super Bowl run and little else. Quinn has cycled through offensive bosses since Shanahan’s departure while time and again letting his defense undermine Matt Ryan. Coaches who can’t even take care of their own side of the ball tend not to last long. Quinn’s shelf life has already been longer than he could have reasonably expected. Quinn’s players seem to enjoy playing for him, but his opponents enjoy playing against him even more. Not every coach gets a fair shake. Quinn has and failed. It will soon be time for the Falcons to move on.

And I guess you can argue for Bob and his 2 AFC South titles (LOL) over Vrabel/Reich but... ...Wait, Reich did pants Billy Bob Brien in the playoffs 2 years ago, didn't he?