1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[538] Advanced Metrics: Robinson > Olajuwon[?!?]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

Ask Robinson who was better. I'm guessing he, just like Shaq, will admit that Hakeem was the man.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I see nothing wrong with this. Robinson was worth more wins — in the regular season.

That Robinson had better regular season stats — particularly from an efficiency standpoint — is nothing new. I would find it more surprising if this somehow ranked Olajuwon higher than Robinson in the regular season.

daywalker02 and SamFisher like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

More like [420] because they're high, amirite?

burnshroom likes this.
  4. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Yea. And if god told me Robinson was somehow factually better than peak Jordan in the regular season it would not shock me at all.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Good point.

Maybe because Raptor just analyzes regular season averages? Harden has been afflicted with MDA disease and peak in the regular season, Robinson may have been the same back then.

Hakeem having bad offensive numbers wouldnt suprise me as IIRC the team bet the farm on Ralph Sampson and a bunch of crackheads. With so little help Hakeem probably got swarmed every possession that's why his averages are lower than expected.

6. msn

msn Member

Any argument that has David Robinson above Hakeem Freaking Olajuwon in any part of the game is not grounded in reality.

They are not in the same league.

BaselineFade and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Robinson got to the line more in the regular season. That's basically what raptor is overrating. They were similar but efg%

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

538, you are consummate pros, give y’all that. :)

jevjnd likes this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The stats are based on regular season, and it's hard to argue that the rockets were a better regular season team during Dreams career than the Spurs were during Robinson's career. The rockets won over 50 games only 5 times in Dreams entire career.

daywalker02 likes this.
  10. durvasa

Turnovers also. And you would need to say that every advanced stat overrates it then. PER, WS/48, BPM, ...

11. Mr. Clutch

Yes I believe they do.

Hakeems turnovers were a bit higher but he created more offense for teammates as well

12. durvasa

I haven't really read anything about RAPTOR, but I believe the main advancement is that it uses tracking data? Since that wouldn't be available for these historical comparisons, I'm not sure what it adds over the other box score stats (like PER) that we have.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

People scoff at regular season but if you weigh playoffs you'd probably get results like Kyrie Irving being a better player than Anthony Davis.

Besides,for all the Hakeem domination of Robinson that series, some of what got forgotten was how Rodman, the player modern day philosophy would've guarded Hakeem, didnt do so and was just pouty that entire series. Plus its arguable that the Rockets were the better team given Drexler > Elliot. Plus that series went to 6. Not like it was a sweep or something.

Take away the narrative aspect like an AI would and you can easily see why the discrepancy isnt nearly as big as fans think

14. Mr. Clutch

Yes it adds some tracking data to its box score component and blends it with on/off data. So yeah wouldn't work exactly to compare historically.

I think it's similar to those stats you mentioned but trying to improve on them with additional tweaks. More an evolution than something brand new, I think.

Here's their description:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fiveth...raptor-our-new-metric-for-the-modern-nba/amp/

15. Mr. Clutch

Robinson struggled in the playoffs offensively throughout his career, not just in that series.

16. Mr. Clutch

Should also take teammates into account, as the rockets won over 50 in hakeems second season and went to the finals, then his teammates imploded. The franchise was poorly run until Rudy t took over.

Spurs were winning over 50 most years with Robinson but not doing much in the playoffs, so they tanked for Duncan.

Some of these stats may be better at predicting regular season success. Getting to the line with cheap fouls is not so easy in the playoffs

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Here's an advanced metric...

18. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I followed the release of these rankings closely, checking it every day he put out new one. I was convinced Robinson was going to be ranked above Hakeem, and was totally shocked Hakeem was sixth. Since he has Hakeem higher than any other credible ranker, I rate Ben Taylor with the likes of Newton and Shakespeare in his field.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  19. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

regardless of what stat anyone pulls, it will not account for the fact that Robinson typically had a better team around him and as a result teams could not focus on him as much as they could on Hakeem. Until Clyde got here, all of Rockets offense revolved around Hakeem. Spurs still had players who could create for themselves

20. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

how many statistical points do you get for making the other player be "just bamboozled"

BaselineFade, durvasa and Rashmon like this.