1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[538] Advanced Metrics: Robinson > Olajuwon[?!?]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, Oct 23, 2019.

1. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This quote should sum it up.

[​IMG]

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That's my point. The numbers are based on regulars season and the article states that. It even says how Dream was better in the playoffs. But lets not put our rockets tinted glasses on. The rockets underachieved for most of Dreams career. All the first round exits, below 50 game win seasons, etc. Even in our second championship season with pretty much everyone from the prior season, we didn't win 50 games.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The team was not constructed well when they lost those guys in the 80s. The basically didn't do much of anything until they got horry and Cassell and changed the system.

Similar to Garnett,I don't think Hakeem should be penalized for that

BaselineFade likes this.
  4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

[​IMG]

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm not penalizing Dream. He's still the greatest rocket that ever lived. I'm just saying the numbers don't lie. David Robinson didn't have the greatest of running mates either until they tanked for Duncan. The second best player was Sean Elliott who was traded for Horry. When they had Rodman, they were a very good team. They were just killed by the best playoff version of Dream. I think the Spurs killed us during the regular season of that year.

Again, I'm NOT saying Drob was better than Dream. I'm just saying that numbers don't lie, and that Drob had better regular seasons than Dream over his career.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well I pointed out earlier in the thread that the only regular season stat he was better in was getting to the free throw line (and turnovers as someone mentioned,)

I do think he had a better supporting cast because when Hakeem had a good team they were winning 50+ games. And several other years near 50.

Robinson did not win 50 every year either, and he had a relatively short run as the man before Duncan took over

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, u can go ahead and toss those advanced metrics in the dumpster out back

Is Robinson pulling off a 94 or especially 95 playoff run? Hell no.

He was dominant, but there’s levels to this.

BaselineFade likes this.
  8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Sounds like some sour apples, 25 years later, for Robinson honks to also need to spout some Robinson > Olajuwon noise. After getting his rings and a few more who followed the dynasty run after it, the Spurs’ present isn’t so shiny for once...so rewrite the past?

Robinson might’ve put in a few more buckets against “everyone else” than did Dream when Dream faced “everyone else”... but the specific matching of Admiral v Dream? Don’t bam your boozle figuring it out.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

They will always hold that one RAPTOR season against him, but let it go people. Let it go.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Great quote, but that looks like a powerpoint slide from the 90's used by some greasy timeshare salesperson.

bumbum09 likes this.
  11. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who you callin greasy?!? ;)

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I remember Robinson's game as clear as day. He would drop 70+ on jabroni teams like the Clippers (it was considered a joke and somewhat embarrassing when he did this) then disappear when Ewing, Hakeem or Shaq came to town. But if Olden Polynice was his matchup, he'd go berserk. Robinson was smart, worked hard, talented, but also SOFT.

Men lie. Women lie. 99'ers never lie.

Take THAT for data.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sir, you like the word Jabroni too much.

Kirby would call Dwight soft, let's say Robinson was more of a player than Dwight ever could have been.

Dream was even better when it counted. You have the good, very good, great and legendary.

#53 daywalker02, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  14. Handles

Handles Member

Laugh if you will, but Brian Scalabrine averaged the most towel grabs per game in his career. Benchwarmer HOF no question.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. TimmyD21!

TimmyD21! Member

Spurs have a much better future than the Rockets it's not even close. I love Harden but aside from him who I believe to be the best player in the league I would taking Dejounte Murray over anybody on the Rockets over the next 5 years.

16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

You can combine all of the young talent on the Spurs, and it wouldn’t equal the value of having an MVP-caliber player in James Harden. Furthermore, neither Dejounte Murray nor Derrick White are better than Russell Westbrook.

So, no, the Spurs don’t have a much better future than the Rockets.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  17. TimmyD21!

TimmyD21! Member

Ok how many more years as an elite player Does Westbrook have left? Both of those players are better defenders than Westbrook and I bet in the next two years Murray will be better than Westbrook. Unfortunately for the Rockets this team has no future prospects.

18. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

So what you are telling me is the Raptor is pretty horribly flawed. I'm a believe in analytics, but when analytics disagree with what your eyes tell you so dramatically...something is likely wrong with the analytics.

lnchan and roslolian like this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Irving did all his heroics playing with Lebron and in the Least. Davis was all alone and in the West, at least Davis got his team to the playoffs Irving just collected top 4 lotto picks when he was alone and in the wimpy conference. So maybe you do see Irving better but thats just in a blind comparison without taking difficulty into account. Again, its the same reason Robinson somehow has better analytics score than Hakeem.

20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

You should probably wait until Murray makes an NBA All-Star Team before you starting claiming he will be better than a top-20 player in Westbrook. Also, I must have missed the memo that being better defenders makes Dejounte Murray and Derrick White better than a former MVP that averaged a triple double last season.

Also, Russell Westbrook turns 31 next month and has at least 3 or 4 more years of elite level play in him. James Harden is 30 and has three or four more years of MVP-caliber play in him. Murray and White aren’t even close to sniffing all-star caliber status.

Until Murray and White get anywhere near Harden and Westbrook’s level as players, the Spurs do not and will not have a brighter future than the Rockets.