1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Cory Booker is Running for President Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Senator

Senator Member

It's a cop out for the lazy and gluttonous. Some are climate change deniers, some are not, but it's the same methodology regardless of political affiliation. Excuses are not exclusive to the left or right. I have grass fed lamb/chicken once in a while, it's great, but it makes up a very, very small part of my diet despite being raised on corn and beef. I don't eat fast food meat or meat from industrial sources. My grocery bill is much smaller than those who do rely on junk and guess what? I don't need medication. I drive a Volt. It is not hard to not be wealthy and do things that don't leave you complaining all the time.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

giphy.gif

Nook, justtxyank and B-Bob like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

These are all good points, and don't leave out that you hate black people.

biff17, glynch, justtxyank and 2 others like this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The problem is that if you don't agree with the ideas of one side or the other …. yer stoopid.

Stupid is the guy who's too stupid to know he's stupid while he's spewing nonsense and telling everyone else they are stupid.

My point was simple - We have much greater issues to concern ourselves with as a nation than that silliness - We don't need the gubmint telling us what to eat - or taxing us to drive us in a specific direction.

#144 Corrosion, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
  5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

more commentary on Booker's gun proposals:

. . . He’s talking about a ban on “assault rifles” such as the AR-15 and not even including a provision to grandfather the people who have already purchased them legally. But since he had to find a way to one-up his competitors, Booker also suggested that everyone seeking to purchase a firearm should first sit down with a government agent for an “interview.”

How would that work? Are we going to put BATF agents in every gun shop in the country? Or would he have prospective gun buyers go to a federal government office for this “interview” prior to being issued a permit to purchase any type of weapon? We don’t know because Booker wouldn’t offer any specifics. Frankly, it just sounds like the Senator is just talking through his hat here.

Even the CNN hosts seemed a bit taken aback and Booker began to sound annoyed at all the questions he was getting. That’s when he tried to wave all of these proposals off as nothing out of the ordinary. Here’s the money quote.
    That’s a crock of horse hockey. I’ve had to renew my passport multiple times over the years and not once has anyone asked to interview me. Somebody looks at your ID documents, makes sure your forms are filled out correctly, snaps a picture of you and you leave. There is no interview. I had my TSA-precheck application finished online and never spoke to a single human being. And nobody at the DMV is “interviewing” people when they apply for a driver’s license.

All of this word salad adds up to a portrait of a candidate who wants you to know he’s all in favor of harsh gun control laws and confiscation policies. He’s just not ready to commit any specific policy points.​

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/05/07/bookers-gun-control-plan-worst-define/

And at the National Review:

Having thus far failed to break through in the Democratic primary, Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey is seeking to gain an edge in the contest by advancing the most extreme package of gun-control proposals to be touted by any presidential aspirant in two decades. In addition to the usual laundry list — “universal” background checks, a ban on so-called “assault weapons,” the prohibition of standard-capacity magazines — Booker hopes to establish not only a federal registry of guns, but a federal registry of gun owners, too. Under the terms of Booker’s plan, Americans wishing to exercise their Second Amendment rights would have to apply to Washington for permission — not just once, but every five years — and to inform the executive branch of each weapon they own in their home. Exit, Spartacus; enter, Big Brother. As Orwell might have said: He who controls the records, controls the people.

As anyone who has watched the Venezuelan government’s recent confiscation drive can attest, registries of guns and of the people who own them are dangerous and illiberal per se, which is one reason that they remain illegal under federal law. It should be spectacularly obvious that a registry of firearms and their owners is, in effect, a giant map that can be used by its keeper to locate who is armed and how, and, thus, to make their disarmament possible. If that sounds alarmist, look no further than to Senator Booker himself, who continues to argue that the government should use the “terror watch list” — that is, the sprawling, error-ridden list of mostly innocent people that the federal government keeps in secret — to disarm “suspicious” Americans who have been accused, charged, or convicted of no crimes whatsoever. Edmund Burke once wrote that Americans were unique among the people of the world in that they did not wait for an “actual grievance” but instead “augur misgovernment at a distance; and snuff the approach of tyranny in every tainted breeze.” Once again, that tainted breeze has arrived.

Regardless, it remains the case that guns-and-people-registries are useless on their own terms, which is why they have been abandoned in failure almost everywhere they have been tried. Perhaps the best example of such failure comes from Canada, which founded a long-gun registry to great fanfare in 2003 and . . . abolished it just nine years later after it had cost over one thousand times more than was projected and had failed to help solve a single crime. In Canada, in New Zealand, and at various levels within the United States, gun registries have routinely been exposed as expensive, pointless, and, because they divert resources from anti-crime measures that actually work, counterproductive. Nothing about Senator Booker’s plan gives us confidence that it would end differently.

Indeed, the challenges in the United States are far greater than the challenges elsewhere. There are at present around half a billion privately owned guns in America — that’s billion with a B — and, as recent experiments in Connecticut, New York, and California have shown, Americans seem steadfastly opposed to registration — even when they are threatened with punishment for non-compliance. And that’s among the law-abiding. In a 1968 Fifth Amendment case, Haynes v. United States, the Supreme Court held 7-1 that convicted felons cannot not be punished for failing to register their illegally owned firearms on the grounds such punishment would constitute self-incrimination. What, one has to ask, is to be the purpose of a registry that is legally permitted to ensnare only the virtuous?

As political shorthand, advocates of federal licensing systems often compare their project to vehicle licensing. Substantively, this is a poor analogy. The primary risk associated with cars is the incompetence of their users, and not, as is the case with firearms, their use in suicides or crimes; car ownership is not an enumerated constitutional right, and, unlike with firearms, there is no history of oppressed Americans being systematically denied licenses as a means to keep them off the road; and, perhaps most important, as is the case with our present firearms-registration-and-licensing regime, vehicle registration and licensing is performed at the state, not the federal, level, and applies predominantly to those who drive in public. The problems surrounding firearms are unique and specific, and they require unique and specific responses. “Build me a database” simply won’t cut it.​

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/05/cory-booker-gun-control-plan-dangerous/

6. Senator

Senator Member

These are facts, it has nothing to do with you agreeing.

Kind of like if you smoke a pack a day and drink 5 times a week, your chances of getting a chronic illness are higher so your health insurance should be higher. I shouldn't have to pay for you to be irresponsible. Booker is stating a fact - what you eat has a direct impact on alot of issues you hold "near and dear". You getting annoyed with this shows us the problem is you, the voter... not Booker the politician.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No , the problem is YOU questioning someone's intelligence before you even know the first thing about them. That's just not how you interact with people and expect to have any sort of dialog other than a pissing match.

I don't drink - at all.

I don't smoke.

I eat my veggies …. and a big juicy ribeye rare!

You do know it was eating meat that facilitated development of the human brain …. and the power to reason.

What we eat as a society is the last thing a President needs to concern himself with - we have enough problems that he can stay busy working on them and not bother taxing cow farts …. but you don't see the GND for what it really is.

Lets get to that …. the GND.

We as a nation have been moving in the direction this thing forces us as the market demands and it wont be long before we are using much more alternative energy on an individual basis - powering our homes & vehicles with energy generated on our rooftops.

You think about who stands to lose when that time comes. Then you'll realize that the GND is nothing but the gubmint getting out in front of the revenue they stand to lose as a result of not having gas to tax at $0.184 cents per gallon on gas and $0.244 on diesel. Lets not forget about their loss of profits and control associated with us generating the power in our homes.
    You probably aren't old enough to know anyone who was forced onto the grid in the 1930's …. with the gubmint coming in and forcibly removing or destroying generators from private holdings and tying them to the grid …. with the promise of "we'll supply your power" … whether you want it or not.
    Not to mention the loss of profits from all those in the O&G industries …. lost taxes from those too.

Taxing cow farts and grounding all the airplanes is a distraction …. keep your eye on the birdie …. while they maintain control and tax you blind.

Booker is about as fit to be POTUS as the Orange idiot currently occupying the Oval Office.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Booker lost me a good while ago when he did this nonsense.

CORY BOOKER JOINS SENATE REPUBLICANS TO KILL MEASURE TO IMPORT CHEAPER MEDICINE FROM CANADA

BERNIE SANDERS INTRODUCED a very simple symbolic amendment Wednesday night, urging the federal government to allow Americans to purchase pharmaceutical drugs from Canada, where they are considerably cheaper. Such unrestricted drug importation is currently prohibited by law.

The policy has widespread support among Americans: one Kaiser poll taken in 2015 found that 72 percent of Americans are in favor of allowing for importation. President-elect Donald Trump also campaigned on a promise to allow for importation.

The Senate voted down the amendment 52-46, with two senators not voting. Unusually, the vote was not purely along party lines: 13 Republicans joined Sanders and a majority of Democrats in supporting the amendment, while 13 Democrats and a majority of Republicans opposed it.

One of those Democrats was New Jersey’s Cory Booker, who is considered a rising star in the party and a possible 2020 presidential contender.

In a statement to the media after the vote, Booker’s office said he supports the importation of prescription drugs but that “any plan to allow the importation of prescription medications should also include consumer protections that ensure foreign drugs meet American safety standards. I opposed an amendment put forward last night that didn’t meet this test.”

This argument is the same one offered by the pharmaceutical industry. The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), which lobbies against importation, maintains that it opposes importation because “foreign governments will not ensure that prescription drugs entering the U.S. from abroad are safe and effective.”

The safety excuse has long been a refuge for policymakers who don’t want to assist Americans struggling with prescription drug costs. Bills to legalize importation passed in 2000 and 2007, but expired after the Clinton and Bush administrations refused to certify that it would be safe. The Obama administration also cited safety concerns when opposing an importation measure in the Affordable Care Act.

A second amendment Wednesday, authored by Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden, would have allowed importation pending a safety certification, just like the previous laws passed on the subject. It also failed. Sen. Bob Casey, D-Pa., used that amendment to claim on Twitter that he voted “to lower drug prices through importation from Canada,” and Booker referred to the Wyden amendment in his statement as well. This is a well-worn tactic from opponents of importation to mislead their constituents, as they know such certification will never occur.

The safety excuse is mostly a chimera, as most of the drugs that would be imported from Canada were originally manufactured in the United States; they’re just cheaper there, because the Canadian government uses a review board and price negotiation to make drugs more affordable.

“My first response to that is show me the dead Canadians. Where are the dead Canadians?” former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, a Republican, once asked during his own push to allow for importation.

Democrats blocked importation from becoming part of the Affordable Care Act in 2009, with over 30 votes in opposition, because they feared it would have pushed the pharmaceutical industry to oppose the underlying legislation. They also voted in large numbers to oppose importation as part of an FDA bill in 2012.

Booker and some of his Democratic colleagues who opposed the Sanders amendment are longtime friends of the drug industry. As MapLight data shows, Booker has received more pharmaceutical manufacturing cashover the past six years than any other Democratic senator: $267,338. In addition, significant numbers of pharmaceutical and biotech firms residein Booker’s home state of New Jersey. Other Democrats receiving six-figure donations from the industry, like Casey, Patty Murray, and Michael Bennet, opposed the amendment.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

He never had a chance, it's gonna be strictly between Sanders, Warren, and Biden. The rest of the candidates are just fodder.

CometsWin likes this.
  10. mick fry

mick fry Member

Warren? Not.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's been in the pocket of big pharma for a long time.

12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

It's really sad, a good majority of Congress is corrupt but we the people rather stay divided by partisan lines rather than work together to resolve said issues.

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Althouse on Booker's response to Biden:

Booker's response: "For someone to show the lack of understanding or sensitivity to even know when they've made a mistake, and to fall into that defensive posture and said, 'I'm not apologizing' — that I should apologize to him! — is really problematic.… The fact that he has said something that an African-American man could find very offensive, and then to turn around and say, 'I'm not a racist! You should apologize to me!' … As Angela Davis used to say, in a time of racism, it is not enough to say that 'I'm not a racist'; you need to be anti-racist. What we need from a former vice president, from a presidential candidate, what we need from each other is to be allies, to be seeking understanding, to be seeking empathy.… So for his posture to me to be, 'I've done nothing wrong; you should apologize to me; I'm not a racist,' is so insulting, and so missing the the larger point that he should not have to have explained to him."

The newer statement from Booker is much better formulated. Quite impressive, I think. And he would never have said it if Biden hadn't gone big with, "Apologize for what? Cory should apologize. He knows better. There's not a racist bone in my body."

Biden's instincts are bad! And his rhetoric is almost babyish. And clichéd — "not a racist bone in my body." That's a silly metaphor, the idea that character traits are located in particular bones. And it's also the sort of thing you say about someone else when you're vouching for them. You can't claim it for yourself. The dumbest part of Biden's statement is that it turned all eyes on Booker, who's been struggling to get some attention, and Booker took advantage.

I particularly like "it is not enough to say that 'I'm not a racist'; you need to be anti-racist." It's not that helpful to bring up Angela Davis, but the sentiment is a good one. Maybe the conversation about race would go better if we stopped accusing people of being "racist" and only criticized them for not being anti-racist enough.​

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2019/06/cory-bookers-great-response-to.html

14. TheresTheDagger

Booker flip flops on Trump and "White nationalism".

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Can you find the rest of that clip so I can hear his entire sentance?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

17. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Booker couldn't get straight to the point, so Trumper made it for him.

Womp womp

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Nook and Os Trigonum like this.
  20. biff17

biff17 Member

This did not age well.