1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Injured Astros updates

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by body slam, Jun 19, 2017.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

After Springer going down, this is Tucker’s time to show what he’s made of. He’ll never have this opportunity again imo

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I think he's going to be one of our starting outfielders next season after we trade Reddick to save some money. He'll get more chances. Unless they decide to use him to trade for Cole's replacement. We'll see.

everyday eddie likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Sorry to say, but Jake and/or Straw will be in CF, replacing Springer. Don't see why the corners should change much unless they're just resting the regulars.

I'll be shocked if he's not the OD starter in RF next year.

whiskeyred likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Geez, we hardly knew ya...

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

790 reported Correa took light swings on Tuesday.

I don't expect a full recovery this season.

Astros' Carlos Correa: Hits off tee
    • By RotoWire Staff
    • Sep 3, 10:34pm • 1 min read
    • UPDATE Sep 3, 2019, 10:34pm

[​IMG]
    Correa (back) hit off a tee Tuesday, Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle reports.

Correa has missed two weeks with back soreness. It's not clear exactly when he's expected to return, though he's trending in the right direction. The Astros have a 10.5-game division lead, though they're tied with the Yankees for the top spot in the American League, so they'll likely want to get their star shortstop back soon.

#686 Houstunna, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There's your 60 day DL to add Emanuel to the 40 man if they want

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

This is almost a good thing. It helps explain the drop in velocity and command struggles.

pantherheat1022 and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Carlos Correa is made out of glass.

109, 110, 72 games the last three seasons.

That isn't a 250 million dollar player

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yeah. Once upon a time I was thinking he was going to get something like 12 year at 35 per to hit $400,000,000.00. If he could stay healthy that would probably be a totally fair deal for him to sign at 26 years old as a FA. Now, I feel like if I was him and the Astros I'd see if I could get together on a 10 year, 150 million dollar deal with an opt out at year 5- just b/c on some level if I'm him I think I want someone to give me total and complete generational wealth in case, you know, this staying healthy enough to be good at baseball thing doesn't work out.

If I'm either party I take that deal. The Astros would basically get 5/75 with risk that they might eat a bunch of dead money at the end (though they could insure). Correa would at least get $150 guaranteed with the right to be a FA at what- 29- if he stays healthy and look for like an 8 year, $250,000,000 type deal as a 29 year old. If he's healthy someone would give him that. If he's not he at least gets $150,000,000 guaranteed.

The way this **** is trending if he doesn't bounce back with 280 games in the next two seasons while playing well in the playoffs I just have a hard time seeing anyone wanting to give him a long term deal. It's really a shame. If you'd have asked me at 21 I'd have called him a no doubt HOFer. His play, while healthy, is that of a no doubt HOFer but I'm starting to believe it just won't happen for him. I'd say that the way his career has played out so far is like a 20th percentile outcome for him.

Nook likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

His inability to stay healthy opens a lot of options up.

Do the Astros offer a deal like you suggested with Bregman being able to slide over to SS?

Would the Astros be better off taking lets say $75,000,000 and diverting it to the offer they were going to make to Cole and get him locked up and let Toro play 3rd?

Does Carlos Correa live in fantasy land like some athletes, does he believe that he is still going to get upwards of 250 million?

Personally I think I would take a deep breathe, take the offer the Astros have had on the table, and shift some of it to try and keep Cole and/or Springer.

12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

If I am the Astros I do not invest long term in Carlos Correa. That ship has sailed.

I do not expect Cole to be here either. We might make an offer but won't pay the years or rate it would take. Jeff Luhnow has never given a pitcher a contract longer than 3 years since he's been here. I think attempting to resign Miley is more likely. Maybe something like 2 years 24-27 million.

I'm not really worried about Sanchez either. We gave up Fisher. When the news first broke about the trade it was Fisher for Biagini. I was happy with that deal. Getting Sanchez was just icing on the cake. Sanchez can be non-tendered after the season if the Astros don't think he can contribute in 2020. He will probably make somewhere near 5 million if he went to arbitration. Maybe he takes a reduced salary because of his shoulder. If he's smart he takes whatever the Astros offer him.

whiskeyred and Snake Diggit like this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

With Sanchez and Peacock both having injury issues (and stuff that should profile well out of the pen), along with McCullers coming back from injury, I wonder if both Sanchez and Peacock might be better off penciled into the bullpen next season, with Houston scrounging up a Miley type for $4-5M in free agency and flipping Reddick (and maybe a couple 2nd tier prospects) for an overpaid (yet healthy) starting pitcher like Leake or Samardzija.

A 2020 pen of Osuna, Pressly, James, Peacock, Sanchez, Biagini, Devenski, and whichever young guy looks good in spring sounds pretty good to me. And I don’t want the rotation to be 2 guys in their late 30s followed by 3 guys who were hurt the previous year.

Nook likes this.
  14. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Of he does. He will continue to have his injury sabbatical every year until his contract year were he will magically get healthy, play 160+ and put up monster numbers.

Nook and weakfromtoday like this.
  15. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

no wonder we got sanchez for a bag of dorrito, damaged goods.

16. Nook

Nook Member

No question that Cole isn't going to be an Astros player next year short of the Astros making a radical decision like cutting off negotiations with Correa and that really isn't going to happen.

As for Sanchez, it will be fascinating to see what happens. The Astros can non tender him, they can offer his an extension for two years if they really believe he will bounce back and be effective.

Miley is interesting. It depends on how much of this they think is smoke and mirrors. The last two seasons Miley has FAR out performed his FIP. Earlier in his career it was the opposite. What we know is that over the last 250 innings Miley has pitched to an era of about 2.80 .... those numbers usually get a pitcher PAID but he is 33 years old with a recent track record only a few years ago of poor performance.

17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yes, Carlos Correa definitely lives in fantasy land. There is no doubt in my mind about it.

Yes, I totally take money that is earmarked for him and give it to Cole and/or Springer.

Yes, I trade him in this offseason (if he has a healthy end of the season and doesn't **** the bed in the playoffs) to restock my farm system and free up other money. After I offer him the extension I laid out and he rejects it. I would want nothing to do with his uncertainty on a year by year contract. The only way I'm ok with rolling the dice with him is if I have a large upside to the bet I'm making of him staying healthy (ish) for the rest of the competitive window (5 years), I'm not ****ing around with that if my upside is 2 years playing here on arbitration and then collecting a compensatory pick.

Also, you see him switch agents? I could not possibly roll my eyes harder. And ARod is his advisor. I actually am one of like 5 non yankee fans that like Arod (I think if you count Yankee fans that number grows to 13 total amongst us) but I like ARod b/c I'm a sucker for greatness and he gave me that as a fan for something like 17 years before he became cooked, and the greatness allows me to ignore the absurdity of everything else that came with ARod. Correa has the absurdity without the showing up and being the biggest badass in the sport part of that equation down.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Correa's money will likely be very well spent on Correa while he is under club control. What Correa will make under club control won't come close to helping sign Cole. Maybe it could pay for a third of Springer's next contract, but likely Correa will still be such a value that any Springer money should come out of free agent budget and not the budget for club control guys. When Correa is a free agent, yes, he's not being re-signed.

Astros have paid Correa ~10 million and he's provided ~150 million in value.

No Worries likes this.
  19. mick fry

mick fry Member

Come back?