1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Injured Astros updates

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by body slam, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

That would have been perfect for Player's Weekend, maybe the best ever.

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Kinda hard to go into denial when folks watching on television notice a slip in velo...

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Everybody remember when LMJ pitched last post-season with a torn UCL?

Dgn1 likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Yes there has been research on the topic but it is of only limited value because success relies so much on the degree of injury to the disc (or discs) and the general condition of the rest of the spine and which area of the back/neck is injured.

Also technology changes quickly. The statistics show that 95% of pro baseball players can return to the field but the level of success is not as encouraging. Also players that have had surgery have substantially shorter careers. So I am sure that is a big part of the reason why he hasn’t had surgery.

A herniated disc can really do havoc. Prince Fielder had surgery and then had to retire. Miguel Cabrera has two herniated discs and that is why he isn’t hitting 330 anymore because he cannot use his hips like he did before. Neil Walker and Angel Pagan both had back surgery and returned and were “ok”.

FWIW most studies believe hitting and not fielding causes disc injuries so hopes of moving Correa to another spot in the field may not help.

This is why I am not sold he gets a 10 year contract like he has expected. A disc bulge or herniation with nerve root impingement is typically chronic. Injections and PT can help and sometimes they shrink and become less of an issue but far more likely they become progressively worse.

AznH-TownFan and whiskeyred like this.
  5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I wonder if Correa would be Open to listening to something like 10/150 with an opt out at like 5 years at 14 or so per season in those first 5 years.

That’s a Iot of risk for the Astros with a pretty big upside. Correa, if healthy would be paying a huge price to guarantee at least 150 if it goes badly for him.

I’d honestly do that deal if I was either party, and I thought Correa might get 400 in career earnings at one time.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He’s 24, on pace to reach free agency at 26. If I were his agent, I would hang tight and see how next season goes. If he is hurt or struggles next season, I would approach the Astros about a short extension (something like $75M/3yr to replace his last arb year and 2 years of free agency). That would give him another chance to re-establish his health while getting close to fair value for his age 26-28 seasons. He’d still reach free agency before age 30 and if everything goes right he would still be able to demand $250M+.

That’s probably pretty unlikely though. I think he plays it out to free agency no matter what.

everyday eddie and snowconeman22 like this.
  7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I agree. But if his back is really ****ed (or might be) he should seriously consider securing generational wealth.

8. Nook

Nook Member

It is largely going to come down to what the MRI films of the back show and how much he stays on the field.

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Any timetable on when Correa is expected back?

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I dont know what to expect from his back :oops:

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Depends if his Finance wants that rough sex again........and breaks a bone.;)

12. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. Buck Turgidson

Great.

14. Buck Turgidson

McHugh to the IL, Urquidy up.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My guess is he has thrown his last pitch as an Astro. Sad.

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Devo far behind? Rondon?

17. Buck Turgidson

I'm afraid you may be right. I've always like him, injuries suck.

Snake Diggit and the shark like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

You gonna go with a 4 man bullpen?

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Expanded rosters coming soon. James not far away. What is Sanchez's timetable?

Osuna
    Harris
    James
    Biagini
    Armenteros
    Sanchez*
    Valdez?

Yea, we need some innings from Devo/Rondon, for now. Do we have any good call ups? Maybe I am just sick of watching Rondone and Devo fail, even if the guys who replace them fail as well (Valdez/Armenteros), it would be a change of scenery. I feel like the latter two at least have a chance of getting better.

20. Buck Turgidson

They don't have anybody you haven't seen before: Armenteros, Deetz, Cionel, Urquidy, Abreu.

Hopefully James comes back strong, dear god they need him to.

No idea on Sanchez, he hasn't started playing catch yet though. Pressly may be back by the end of September. I don't expect Mchugh or Peacock back this year.