1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zack Lowe Piece on Pelicans and why I think Asik to New Orleans is inevitable

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HamJam, Jul 9, 2013.

?

Should the Rockets trade Asik to Pelicans for Anderson?

1. NO

145 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. Yes

46 vote(s)
    12.6%
  3. Yes, but only if they get more than just Anderson.

175 vote(s)
    47.8%
  1. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Zach Lowe has a new piece on the win now mode of the Pelicans along with an analysis of their roster, its strengths and weaknesses.

Link:
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9462545/the-remaking-new-orleans-pelicans

Reading it I became convinved that the Anderson for Asik trade will happen, and that there is either a specific reason for delay (structural NBA rules, teams doing due deligence in deliberations, etc) or the Rockets and Pelican front offices are in a bit of a staring match about the specifics of what would be included in the deal. I am sure Morey sees what Lowe sees and is trying to fleece NO (as is his want), whereas the Pelicans see what the Rockets need and are trying to take advantage as well.

The piece covers a lot of things that jumped out to me and relate to a possible Asik for Anderson deal:

• New Orleans is in drastic win now mode, having traded away their 1st rounder next season
    • NO had the lowest defensive rating in the league last season when Anderson and Davis played together
    • All of their scoring gaurds are best used on the pick and roll -- Asik being great at setting picks
    • Davis is not capable (yet at least) of gaurding centers, Pelicans would probably start Jason Smith

With all that said, it seems that Asik would be an IDEAL fit for the areas the Pelicans struggle with on defense, for what they want to do on offense, and for their win now mode. He is someone their roster drastically needs and would immediately make them better on defense while at the same time having a ready made role on offense as a pick setter.

Anderson meanwhile is a proven power forward who can play defense in the post, has a great track record playing along side Howard back in Orlando, and fills a major need for the Rockets. The Rockets have above average rebounders at every other position on the court (if you count Bev at PG), which minimizes Anderson's weakness on the boards.

The trade makes too much sense for every team and player involved. I just can't see how it does not happen. I love Asik, but the trade seems inevitable to me. I just hope Morey can bleed more than just Anderson out of the Pelicans (especially considering that it seems they need the deal a lot more than Houston does).

Sorry if this should have gone into the NBA Dish, I just think this piece has severe relevance for Rocket fans (like myself) who are sitting on the edge of their seat waiting for the other shoe to drop vis a vis Asik, and can't wait to start imagining what the final roster will look like. And in my opinion, opening day is going to see Anderson in a Rocket's uniform and Asik a Pelican.

2. Ultimateian

Ultimateian Member

We get too little back. Asik + filler is worth LMA in my opinion.

3. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Lin/Beverley
    Harden/Garcia
    Parsons/Casspi
    Anderson/Jones
    Howard/Motiejunas

I would like that 48 minute interior shutdown, but I'll take Anderson's masterful 3pt stroke all day.

4. liveguy

liveguy Member

If they could swing a deal netting Anderson AND Rivers.....that would be a GOOD LOOK.

Have Rivers play back up to Harden and PG duties on occasion if he can hack it.

5. keez857

keez857 Member

Would still rather have Ilyasova.

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

Rivers, do you even watch the NBA?

2 people like this.
  7. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Oooooh....Rivers was real bad last season man. He looked like he did not belong in the league.

Are you thinking he has that much room for improvement from one season to the next?

I would much rather use the room exception to bring in a 2 guard who has shown they belong in the league a bit more than that.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Maybe Sam Hinkie took Royce White off our hands if we promised not to send Asik to the Hornets.

Just kidding... sort of.

(No, I'm kidding)

9. mattlivin05

mattlivin05 Member

I'm cool with trading omer for Anderson as long as we get a good backup center like Marcus camby if he gets bought out.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Rivers?? You mean the worst rotation player in the NBA last season??? Why would we want Rivers?

I would be OK with Asik for Anderson if Morey thinks it's a good deal. Anderson would be a perfect fit on offense and he's not as bad on D as people seem to think.

That said, I can sympathize with the arguments that Asik makes our defense better playing as Dwight's backup.

I guess it really comes down to how much our coaches and front office think Greg Smith can develop on defense as a backup center. If he can be 3/4 of what Asik brings, then yes, Asik for Anderson is a good trade for us. But that means an expectation of Smith taking another step forward, so it's hard to say.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Rivers has that Kobe prick face but with the talent cortney fortson. They wish they can get Asik.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That would be a lopsided trade not in our favor. I think out of principle Morey just can't do that.

Just wait until the trade deadline at the very least. Let's see if Love or LMA start to make trade demands. And if they don't, we could always fall back on a much worse player like Ryan Anderson.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think the Rockets would keep Asik unless there is a clear upgrade.

Anderson's contract impedes us from having max cap space for the summer of Love/Aldridge/Rondo. If his contract was one year shorter, I would do it.

14. mjhaver5

mjhaver5 Member

Ryan Anderson is great but a stretch four who can't post up, play defense, or rebound simply does not create a championship worthy team. It's as simple as that. We were the best 3 point shooting team without a real stretch four last season. We don't need a stretch four. We need a stretch four that can hit the mid-range consistently, post up, rebound, and play great defense (aka LMA).

As for Asik. He's the second best rebounded in the league. That alone speaks volumes. Then you add in the fact that he is really good at setting picks and rolling, he shoots decently well from the free throw line, he has exceptional interior defense, not to mention his developing arsenal of post plays, I would never give him up for just someone who can shoot the ball. Asik might only be 8.5 million on cap space, but he's worth at least 12 million. I wouldn't trade that for Anderson.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm 99.9% sure the Rockets don't want Rondo, being that he can't shoot at all (not even FTs) and is therefore a terrible fit as a point guard on this inside/out team.

16. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

I couldnt agree more. I think many are undervaluing Asik. He is a top 3-4 center in the league. Has his entire career ahead of him. Improved every year he's played. A defensive stud.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think the Rockets would rather wait to see if Parsons can play that Odom role which would make a guy like Anderson redundant and a cap burden.

18. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

It's gotta be a 3 team trade.

19. Raven

Raven Member

Morey will not dump Asik for anything less than a major piece. There will be no fire sale.

20. Classic

Classic Member

dumping Asik for Anderson is not the right move. we get too little in return straight up. Morey will deliver a real big 3 with him.

patience

we're gunning for back to back '15 & '16 chips