1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your Texans Wishlist

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Truth, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

roy williams, if he reconsiders. beyond that...

and eric.81, i think you're vastly overrating our defense. it's good, but there's room for massive improvement across the board. their run defense is suspect and the pass rush is non-existent. jimmy kennedy helps both -- he clogs lanes and would free up LBs to get after the QB. he and william joseph both would be excellent additions at #3, barring a darkhorse emerging at the combines.

2. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Ric,

As far as RB's go, what would you think about the Texans pursuing a trade for Trung Canidate from ST. Louis? The year before last, when he filled in for an injured Faulk, he seemed to be very good, has good hands coming out of the backfield & break away speed. What do you feel ST. Louis would want for him? I'm, of course, assuming that the Texans will be able to put a much better OL together this year with returning healthy players & FA acquistions.

There are some other good RB's playing backup roles, such as Kevan Barlow from SF, Brandon Bennett (29 years old) from Cincy, Jamel White or William Green from Cleveland, Olandis Gary or Mike Anderson from Denver, & Tony Fisher from Green Bay to name a few.

Everything I've heard from the Texan's front office indicates that they'll be looking for the best deal possible for the #3 pick. Any ideas what kind of offers they can expect for it?

3. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Watching the Cotton Bowl, Roy Williams made my mouth water. Dude is seriously a lot like Randy Moss. He was making acrobatic catches and his speed is blinding. Not to mention, it looked like he was breaking away from his defender almost every snap. He's got game... no question and I think David Carr would agree, he'd look great in a Texans uni. Damn I wish he'd come out...

As for our defense, I would love to see a big run stuffer like JK lining up with GWalk, etc. I just think our offense needs more improvement than the defense. That said, with the lack of "top 3" offensive talent available in the draft (besides QBs and CR) I wouldn't be upset with getting a defensive player at #3; as long as he was a stud (which JK is).

Thanks for the insight Ric... you know your stuff.

4. eric.81

Trung Canidate had a TERRIBLE year this past year filling in for the oft-injured Marshall Faulk and sort of picked up a bad reputation around the league. I think he sucks, personally.

I don't think Cleveland wants to part with Green yet (they drafted him in the 1st round last year right?). Of all those guys you named, the only one I'd like is Kevan Barlow. He's big, strong, fast... a real punishing runner. Unfortunately, I think San Fran is going to turn the starting job over to him next year and relegate Hearst to the third down role.

5. eric.81

Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned the "plethora" of safeties that will enter the free agent market. Would anyone mind compiling a list of all the FA safeties? I would love to see who we could pick up there as that was one of our biggest weaknesses on defense (IMHO).

6. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Ask & Ye' shall receive.

http://www.theredzone.org/2003/freeagents/S.asp

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Lee Flowers would be nice. Too bad there are not any big time RB free agents.

8. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Green is a stud. There is no way they'd trade him.

9. eric.81

10. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I cant wait til April. This will get even more fun once the deadline to enter the draft arrives.

11. Hey Now!

i wonder if roy williams was watching last night's game and might not reconsider his decision... not just because of the injury risk, but because there's now a spot open in the top 5.... i think he will.

didn't rookie lamar gordon jump ahead of canidate on the depth chart? he could probably be had, question is, do you want him?

barlow is a back-up, but plays a key role in that offense; i doubt he'd be available. same for white and green. trading for a back is possible, but i don't think HOU would trade picks to get one... making it difficult to acquire much of anything.

well, the vick pick (#1 overall) landed a 1st, 3rd, future 2nd and tim dwight. depending who's there... i would think they could swap first round picks and pick up an additional 2 or 3.... likely a 3.

12. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The only other possible offensive player who could be worth a top 3 pick would maybe be Andre Johnson. He's shown flashes but has suspect hands from time to time. He's supposedly faster than even McGahee and has ideal size. But he'd be a reach at #3 in my opinion.

13. Truth

Truth Member

Basically, what I've gotten from this thread is this.

1.) We don't need a QB. (obviously)
    2.) Charles Rogers likely will not be there @ 3.
    3.) Jimmy Kennedy would immensely help an already solid D.
    4.) Now that Willis is out, and Roy a has not declared, there really isn't an offensive player worth a #3 pick.
    5. I'm getting the vibe that some of you, (unless ROY declares)
    are ready to play let's make a deal.

Maybe we could put together a package deal for a lower pick and and player.

14. eric.81

That's kinda what I'm saying Truth. As I stated earlier, I wouldn't mind having Kennedy, but if Leftwich or Palmer is sitting there at #3, a QB needy team would pay us a kings ransom for that pick.

Not coincidentaly, teams who are picking high usually want a QB, so why couldn't we work out a deal like the Cowboys did last year: Trade down just a couple of spots, get an extra pick, AND get JK!

15. Truth

Truth Member

Eric, that would be tight to get Jimmy K + a 2nd round pick that would wishfully turn into Larry Johnson or Lee Suggs. Another thing I've noticed is that New England has 2 1st rounders the #14 and the #19. Would have of you want to do that deal (3 for 14 and 19) and do you think N.E would be willing to do that? If that deal would were to happen we probably could come away with WR Andre Johnson or WR Rashaun Woods and DE Terrell Suggs or DT Dewayne Robertson.

16. lpbman

lpbman Member

What about Ragone and Manning? The QB spot is pretty loaded so those teams in need of a QB should be able to find a quality consolation prize

Anyway take Kennedy and fix the OL through free agency, draft best player available in the 2nd round (read- 1st rounders who werent)

take LaBrandon Toefield and Mewelde Moore in the 3rd round

side note, Saints take Terrell Suggs and Andre Woolfolk in the 1st

17. Hey Now!

no; who do they need that's worth two 1st round picks? they need a QB less than we do and if there were a guy worth two first round picks... wouldn't it be wise to keep him for ourselves?

btw, no way anyone's gonna give HOU two first round picks for the #3, nor will they get a 1 and 2. if vick's only worth a 1 and 3, plus a future 2....

a few more comments: if HOU passes on kennedy, or trades away the 3, i don't think he'll be on the board too terribly long after that. IOW, if you want him, you better grab him when you have the chance. also, i doubt terrell suggs will fall to 14. freeney went, iirc, 12th last year, and proved an "undersized" speed rusher has tremendous value in this league. suggs, who will wow scouts physically, will probably go top 10.

18. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

My Wish list for the Texas on draft day,

1st Round Pick-Charles Rogers(Michigan St. WR)

2nd Round Pick-Andre Johmson(Miami WR)

Then pick the best OL and DL you can get.

19. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

A more realistic pick in the second round would be Mike Doss safety out of Ohio State.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

rogers is gonna end up with the lions...

and the texans are gonna end up trading this pick...

just my best guess.