1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your Texans Wishlist

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Truth, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Truth

Truth Member

PhillyRocket, an excellent post. You seem like you keep a good grip on the college football scene. So tell me who would you want the Texans to get in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

2. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Philly Rocket, we need a running back more than we need a DT. Walker and Payne did a very good job on the line. If Tony comes back and we resign Young and pick up another OL in the market the O-Line will be set up for McGahee to have a good year. Plus a good running game will take some pressure off of Carr.

3. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Hey Lil

You're thinking in the short term.

Yes our offense might be a lot more improved next year with McGahee as opposed to somebody we take later, but if the goal is to be a strong team over the long term and eventually a perennial super bowl contender, the cornerstone, franchise guys that we take in the early years of existence need to be players that will be productive for a long time. You just can't count on a running back to be productive for 10 years, whereas you can with a DT or OL.

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

And a DT can be a bust or get hurt just like a RB. If you can get a runningback like McGahee I say go for it. With Carr's arm MCGahee's running and catching ability then add a go to WR (D. Boston) the Texans can have a St Louis like offense in a couple of years.

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The second round pick is invaluable for two reasons: one: a good player or two always falls out of the first beause a couple of teams reach. two: said player can be had cheaper because he's not a first rounder.

The Texans also have three third rounders and I for one would love to see a couple packaged up for a second rounder.

Possible players?

In the second we could use another LB. Yeah it is probably the strength of our team, but there are some good ones this year as opposed to last year and in the 3-4 defense we play we need to add depth. Also Foreman, Mitchell, and Posey are all free agents. The Texans will look long and hard at LaMarcus McDonald, Bradie James, Boss Bailey, and Corey Redding at the top of the second if any are still available. Yeah I know Redding is a DE, but he could be a formidable edge rusher as an OLB for us the guy is just too light to be an every down DE.

We could shore up the o-line with more depth guys like Tony Pashos, Steve Scuillo, Jeff Faine, and Will Ofenheusle should be available. One or more of these guys could fall to the third round as well.

For you people out there bent on a running back, Larry Johnson and Lee Suggs may be still on the board at the top of the second. I wonder what Casserly and Co. think of Johnson, I've seen him all over draft boards.

Again it will just be best player available. We need help everywhere. The Texans will make up a board and stick to it. We still have too many holes to not take the BPA.

6. Summer Song Giver

Let me preempt this by saying I am not completely sold on any Penn St. running back, there's just so much bad history there, that being said if LJ is still available when we pick in the second it would be hard for me to pass on him. Actually the Nittany Lions have three players I would love to see drafted by the Texans.

I would be ecstatic if the Texans took Kennedy in the first, Johnson in the second and Michael Haynes in the third and move him to outside linebacker. He is another guy in the same mold as Redding from UT who is probably too small to play end every down in the NFL but would look really good rushing the quarterback from the outside linebacker position.

Willis McGahee also intrigues me because of his ability to do so much on the football field however at this point I think the wise choice would be to look elsewhere with our first rounder because of the reasons already mentioned above.

Nice posts Phillyrocket, I've enjoyed reading your insight and am looking forward to more posts from you as the draft grows nearer.

7. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I like what you have to say Phillyrocket. McGahee is not the right pickfor us at #3. As dominating as a season as he has had this year, I'm not convinced that he's a can't miss future All-Pro which should be the goal this high in the draft. Instead of 2nd guessing last year's draft, the Clinton Portis drum-beaters (myself included) shouldm realize that a star back can be found after the 1st round.
    I'd love to see us take a DT with our 1st pick. They never get enough credit, but the 3 guys up front can make or break this defense. I've never seen Jimmy Kennedy play, but I'm happy with the best D-lineman available (that fits our system).
    I don't think this is the year to be drafting an offensive lineman at #3. It would only be worth it for an all-world LT, and there doesn't seem to be one this year. Free agency and praying for the health of Boselli and Young seem to better options. With all this said, I think our best bet right now is to sell someone on Leftwich and try to trade down a few spots (Where's Ditka when you need him?). Who's got multiple 1st rounders next year?

As for round #2, I hate to say this as my heart bleeds burnt orange, but Andre Woolfolk would like mighty nice in a Texans jersey next year if he slipped on draft day. Glenn is great, but I think we can upgrade the other side. We need to draft a DB, although not necessarily this high. Otherwise, where does Rashaun Woods project? He's a phenomenal receiver but he lacks the track speed that some teams may want. Could he slip to Rd. 2?

8. PhiSlammaJamma

prem, you make a good point that a rb may break down before Carr hits his stride. However, when will we ever draft this high again? So you are caught in a catch 22. I think you have to draft the QB and RB together if you have the chance. It's a good gamble. Running backs "appear" to be lasting longer even though in the past they'd last like six years.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

the shelf life for the average NFL RB is less than 4 years (just ask the guy portis replaced). pitts was projected to be a G in the NFL and was asked to play the line's most difficult position instead, all with about 4 or 5 years of total football experience under his belt. in that light, his season was nothing short of remarkable.

i guarantee you, the texans wouldn't trade pitts for portis right now. he'll be the team's left guard for years, and a damn good one.

10. Hey Now!

unless they land a stud in free agency, which isn't likely, i would think so.

i have no idea; it would depend, i'm sure, on banks' attitude, his practice habits, how he's getting along with carr, whether he's helping at all in his developement... if they like him, i'm sure they'd welcome him back.

the question is whether banks could, or would want to find a team that might actually use him.

a lot will depend on who else is available and, of course, what they do in the draft. i get the feeling they don't view wells as an everyday back, so they'll definitely need to add someone back there.

jarrod. he wasn't used much this year, outside of blocking. tough for someone like me to know for sure how well he did in that capacity, but i do know, in practices this summer, he looked extremely versitile, catching and running the football.

11. Hey Now!

IF boselli doesn't return.

12. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

moonnumack- both Woods and Woolfolk could be first rounders. Woolfolk looks like he may even be the second CB taken after Terence Newman. If you're thinking a good corner top of the second, Washington State's Marcus Trufant could be your guy. Extremely physical and a sure tackler. Watching him in the bowl game against Oklahoma he would attack TE's like a safety.

Woods opened a lot of eyes after burning the aforementioned Woolfolk for 226 yards and 3 touchdowns in the upset over Oklahoma. This draft had a lot of WR hype but injuries too Kelly Washington, Lee Evans, and Roy Williams have left scouts scrambling to determine who other than Charles Rogers and Andre Johnson carries a first round grade.

Guys like Woods and Brandon Lloyd have found themselves thrust into first round stature, but both could still slip into the second.

Speaking of WR's, Bernard Berrian should be available at the top of the second and maybe even the third. I'm sure Carr would love to have his favorite Fresno State reciever catching his bullets on Sundays. Berrian was slated to go higher but has played in only one game this year due to injuries.

13. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

What about that offensive lineman from Utah... isn't he supposed to be a top 10 pick? Should/would we trade down for him?

14. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Why would you want to draft a DT when its not the weakest part of your team? That makes no sense. Our running game was the worst in football and we need some PLAYMAKERS to surround D.Carr and the best playmaker with the 3rd pick will be Willis McGahee. Seth Payne and Gary Walker did an outstanding job this year. Sure Kennedy would be good to have but the Texans biggest problem is offense.

15. Truth

Truth Member

I don't know any more. Even though I haven't seen J.Kennedy play all of the wonderful reports makes me want the Texans to get him. BUT, Lil Francis brings up a good point, our running game was asscheese last year, which makes me want to get a game-breaking RB. BUT, could last year's piss poor performance be an illusion due to the depletion of our OL? And another thing, as much as Capers wants to run the ball, we should atleast have a player who can do something besides give us a loss of down.

16. Truth

Truth Member

I don't know any more. Even though I haven't seen J.Kennedy play, all of the wonderful reports makes me want the Texans to get him. BUT, Lil Francis brings up a good point, our running game was asscheese last year, which makes me want to get a game-breaker RB. Another BUT, could last year's piss poor performance be an illusion due to the depletion of our OL? AND, as much as Capers wants to run the ball, we should atleast have a player who can do something besides give us a loss of down.

17. Hey Now!

simply put, no. they may trade down, and when it's their turn to pick, he may be the best player available, but i don't think they'd trade down specifically with him in mind. they don't want to build the OL through the draft.

at this stage, you take the best available player, regardless of position; the texans have needs at every single position except QB, you don't reach to fill more pressing needs -- not this early.

payne and walker did do an outstanding job... but what if one had gone down with an injury? the d-line has adequate depth, as long as payne and walker are healthy, but there's a steep drop-off in talent after those two guys. plus, if there's a weak part of houston's game defensively, well, it's two-fold: their run defense was suspect and they failed to generate much pressure on the QB; both of those areas would improve instantly with kennedy.

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

The Texans would be smart to pass on Willis imo.

I would be happy if they picked him though.

19. Truth

Truth Member

Well, last night's injury to Willis settles our little uproar on who we go after. Looks like he'll be lucky to ever step back on the field.

20. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I think if there's any way to pick up Rogers, we should. That said, he may not be around at number three. IMO, I would be dissapointed to see the Texans NOT take an offensive player with the third pick (our defense was pretty good and if we add a safety or two and a nickelback in free agency, fugghetaboutit).

I think our offense needs the most help but there are a few factors with the number 3 pick:

1) we won't draft a QB (we don't need one)

2) Rogers could be gone by number three, and

3) After the QBs and Rogers is there an offensive player worth picking that high and if not, can we make a trade like the Cowboys made last year?

Phillyrocket, Ric, everyone:

What offensive player (if any) is worth using a #3 on (besides Rogers & QBs)??

Would anyone trade up for our pick (based on team needs) like what happened with the 'Boys last year?