1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

your dream coach for rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tommyboy, Dec 24, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

if you can have one coach for rockets who would you choose? it has to be a coach that is either a current coach or assistant coach of another NBA team and you have to say why. the only reason i raise this question is because i think rockets would be better off with JVG than RA...i think rick was brought to bring 'sexy' into the game rather than hard grinding out wins.

i pick coach pop. he's hard nosed and defense oriented and tends to bring out the best in some players and very few players in his coaching career have ever bad mouthed him, only one i can think of is beno udrih for not getting enough PT and supposedly being 'held back' by coach.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I'd bring Rudy T back. I think he would be the perfect coach for Yao/T-Mac. Just like when he had Dream/Drexler.

3. LFE171

LFE171 Member

isiah thomas :D

4. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

my dream coach for this team used to be Rudy-T. however, after seeing that our current players don't deserve a laissez-faire coach that allows them to make decisions on their own and run the offense (and defense), I decided that he wouldn't be a good fit..

I have always like PJ Carlisimo, I don't know why, I just think the guy is a very creative and intelligent basketball coach..

5. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

BLAME GAME for a over-achieving TEAM with major flaws and holes who will struggle to get out of the first round with any of the above.

I think Rick is perfect for Tracy and Yao because they have depended on Jeff for guidance and leadership where it was like a crutch and at the end of the day being DEPENDENT causes the players to be to attached to the mother or father for guidance and just like Pat riley was saying the eagle nurtures those little ones for so long and eventually she nudges them out beyond the nest and it's up to the bird to start using those wings and become INDEPENDENT.

Great players are also great leaders and sometimes you have to be self motivated especially in tough situations where you only can rely on yourself to push you over the top in a close game.Magic would wave play calls off from riley and do his own play because he knew what was going on out there because he is in the game, he was feeling the vibration of what was needed.

You can't hold these players hands and a reason why phil jackson was so good for michael jordan was that he let the players figure out what was going on,Which was different from doug collins who wanted to micro manage every single posession. Rick carlise was disliked in indiana because the players protested agaisnt him calling every play down the floor. Sometimes when you are out there feeling the competition you know what's best and I think Yao an tracy have been spoiled and sheltered by jeff and it's hurt them as leaders and probabaly are reasons why they can't get out of the first round.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

1. Rudy T
    2. DaDakota
    3. Rick Adelman

;)

DD

7. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Always thought Popovich would be a great coach, not flashy, but he demands perfection and gets most of the time.

8. RocketsAddict

RocketsAddict Member

At this point, Pop is the dream coach of any team.

9. RocketsAddict

RocketsAddict Member

I have to add that he's not a dream coach of all players esp the likes of Tmacs and Kobe. ;)

10. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

thibodeau but only after we give adelman 2 full seasons to implement his plan.

11. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

It's a players league. How much of an impact is Doc Rivers really making.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

1. Rudy T
    2. KingCheetah

6,456,767,005. DaDakota

13. blastaway

blastaway Member

CALVIN MURPHY! :D

I will admit that he is an annoyance, but this man KNOWS basketball.

He has the creditials as a Hall of Famer. He knows how to run a team as a former point guard. He knows the Rockets and all of their history from being involved with the organization for so many years. He knows most of our players better than they know themselves if you have ever heard him speak about them.

Also, he is hard nosed and will not take crap from Divas. He would make players play hard or ride the bench, even if they are the superstar. He would bring a toughness to the team that they sorely lack. He would not be afraid to mix up the lineup or to play young players with significant or crucial minutes if they are performing well.

Also, he would make sure that the team shot a great free throw percentage since he takes great pride in this. Chuck Hayes free throw would get reworked completely and not be an embarassment to the team.

And if nothing else, he would definitely add entertainment value to the game with his sideline antics and sure to get ejections from the games from arguing with the refs! :D

Now if he could bring in someone as an assistant like a previous head coach to balance his personality, that would make him that much better. All the previous head coaches that are now not coaching could be candidates. It would be nice if JVG would be his defensive assistant and Rick Adelman his offensive assistant. Maybe they could both be good assistants if they didn't have to focus on the other end of the court, but only on their strenghts. ;)

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

i honestly think spurs fans should be more worried about pop retiring than duncan retiring. duncan found most of duncan's supporting cast in 2nd round draft picks and had nothing but low 1st rounders to build around. he convinced a player to be strictly defense and to sit on the corner and wait for someone to sit there and wait for someone to assist him for a 3. i find it amazing on what pop can do with the rockets based on how similar they are built compared to each other. youve got brooks, a young fast pg who can drive to the basket, a big man whos fundementall sound, a 3shooter/slasher (tmac), and a blue collar hardworker named scola. not to mention a above average defender named shane

15. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

I'll go with Jerry Sloan.

If these guys can't be gritty or grow some balls, we might as well get someone in here that will teach them how to cheat around it.

16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

lol! if you cant beat em, join em

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What do we need? We need balls and passion. We need someone to step up and challenge our guys (especially McGrady). We need someone who can make our millionaires care, cry, love, light the fire.

Its obvious. Ray Lewis should be our coach.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

.......Red

19. seanluu

seanluu Member

larry brown!

a proven coach

20. Pringles

Pringles Member

rudy
    pop
    phil jackson