1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You know what? Bring me Derrick Henry, POST-HASTE!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 24, 2024.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Saquon Barkley is the shiny object; Derrick Henry is the truth.

Yes, I'm aware he's older & that his numbers are declining (though, at least some of that, is on his team & supporting cast). Good, I say! Means he'll likely settle for a cheaper/shorter deal - his priority is winning. And, right now - maybe for the next two years? - he's s a better running back than Barkley. Not by a little - by a lot.

Let me ask you a question: late, game of the line, and you need to covert a 4th and 2 - who do you want lining up in the backfield: Barkley? Or Henry?

Or, how about this: given how Baltimore manhandled us Saturday, would you rather replay that game with Barkley? Or Henry?

Give me Derrick Henry.

Cstyle42, Two Sandwiches and leroy like this.
  2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he could be had for a reasonable amount, I think he is the best option at RB in free agency. I think he would do well in this offense and would probably end up looking very much like what we all thought Pierce would look like in 2023.

Cstyle42, ROCKSS and Hey Now! like this.
  3. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

No hate here. But Derrickā€™s been more of a downhill runner, especially of late which yes can help but Shannan scheme, which uses a back that fits the following profile:

- Zone Blocking Scheme - The offense relies heavily on wide zone running plays that allow running backs to pick holes as they develop. This requires RBs with good vision and one-cut ability.

- Outside Zone - Many of the runs are outside zone plays where the RB starts towards the sideline looking for cutback lanes. This allows RBs to use their speed and get to the edge. Play Action Passing - The success of the zone runs sets up deadly bootleg play action passes. The offense looks for running backs who are receiving threats that can leak out on play action.

- Multiple Back Sets - Shanahan offenses often incorporate multiple backs with specialized roles, using speedsters, power backs, receivers, and blockers together. Different style RBs keep defenses off balance.

- Receiving Backs - Pass catching backs who can line up as receivers, run complex routes, and make plays in space are a big part of the system. It asks a lot in terms of route running from its RBs.

Having an elusive back with receiving down ability (McCaffery / Barkley type) would be ideal for this offense. Again, we need to work with the tools we have. SF have one stud OL, the rest are just JAGs.

Fyreball, percicles, jch1911 and 3 others like this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I like what guys like Henry and Pollard offer in pass blocking. Henry seems to go down on first contact too often for my taste as of late. Seems serviceable in the pass game. I guess if the price is right I could get on board.

primtim24, ROCKSS and Sooty like this.
  5. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Henry is WASHED. Not the same player anymore. Let someone like Jacksonville or the Cowboys sign him.

6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Dude looks done. Rather go after Barkley or draft a back.

Fantasma Negro and Von Rafer like this.
  7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

What's the success rate for signings of high-mileage 30+ year old skill position players?

primtim24, Fyreball, cbass and 4 others like this.
  8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This post, 2023 version:

You know what? Bring me Dalvin Cook, POST-HASTE!

This post, 2020 version:

You know what? Bring me Le'Veon Bell, POST-HASTE!

primtim24 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

No thanks. No need for old geezers on their last leg. You draft one or sign someone younger that can still be effective over a longer period

I remember all the excitement for David Johnson. That sure worked out well

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

You know what? Bring me *worst value proposition free agent available*, POST-HASTE!

mtbrays likes this.
  11. Qan

Qan Member

Yeah I've moved on from wanting him

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

100% a fan of a value contract if agreeable.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have a much different memory of this board's reaction to acquiring David Johnson than I have.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

That's bc I was the one going back at folks trying to tell me DJ was still good.

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Henry is going to command a decent chunk of change.

Beyond that, the actuarial tables are beyond stacked against him.

RB as a whole is one of the worst ROI positions in free agency anyway. The Texans running problems are between the tackles. Spend your money there.

Hemingway likes this.
  16. conquistador#11

Chris Johnson would work better for the scheme. ooh that sweet jump cut of his. The only problem is he is 38 now. McCaffrey has an ridiculous jump cut so does one Will Shipley. I'm just sayin'.

red5rocket and Sooty like this.
  17. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

The O line got absolutely embarrassed on Saturday, no push whatsoever.....they were boys against men , fix this overpriced O Line and then lets get a rookie RB and spend elsewhere...............your right, the ROI is horrible and it seems every year a few rookies break out. As much as I would like Barkley or Henry, father time is not on their side plus they want to get PAID (Barkley) and the downside is to great.............would I take a flyer on Henry if it was super cheap, I would do that but I doubt he does that

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

I mean it's not like Baltimore's defense hasn't embarrassed pretty much every other O line this year. While the line does need to be upgraded, there's nothing really to be embarrassed about against an elite defense all around like that

houstonstime and Sooty like this.
  19. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

McCaffery has elite speed and change of direction which Shipley without those elite traits may struggle against NFL level conpetiton.

20. conquistador#11

His speed is more than good for the scheme. It's more of a feel/ anticipation. We'll see.

Sooty likes this.