1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You Guys Get the First Look/Listen

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Ok, guys. My partner and I have been working on a project for a while now and we're getting ready to unveil. It is NOT for public consumption quite yet but it is close, so you guys can have at it.

A few months ago, my partner and I wrote and recorded a song (another certain person on this BBS actually played trumpet on it and he's a real B-Ball Freak :) ) for the purpose of promoting the new football team. Those of you who have been around for a while remember "Houston Oilers #1" I'm sure as I do (oh, and don't forget Luv Ya Blue sung to the music of Love Me Do!). Well, we wanted to do something more modern and in-yo-face.

So, here it is. Tell me what you think. Oh, and let me know what you think of the site design as well. I still have some text to fix up, press releases to send, etc, but this is pretty close to the finished product.

http://www.texansfightsong.com/

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I could totally see myself screaming that during our first game...the big win against the Cowgirls!!!!

I like it!

3. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Just FYI, weird is spelled "weird".

Personally, I don't think it's campy enough. It's a very good song, but there was just something so lovably goofy about the Houston Oilers #1 song.

As fight songs go, though, this new one really is way on up there.

4. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Pretty sweet Jeff, Freak, and unnamed parter. :cool:

5. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

HOLY COW THAT IS AWESOME!!! I LOVE IT!!!

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Excellent Jeff and Co!

:)

Just one comment though. It kinda sounds a little like the "Hey Hey" song no?

#6 mc mark, Aug 16, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2001
  7. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Nice work J. Short, sweet and to the point.

The main thing is that the moron who is sittin' in his trailer in Pasadena can remember this song. Not to mention that you can remeber it after all those beers!

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

<b>Personally, I don't think it's campy enough. It's a very good song, but there was just something so lovably goofy about the Houston Oilers #1 song.</b>

"Move it to the left. Move it to the right." isn't campy enough??? ;)

Actually, our intent was to avoid that because when we mentioned this idea to people associated with the Texans, friends in the media and others people we knew, they said, "As long as it doesn't sound like that awful Houston Oilers #1 song." So, we did a little research first I guess. :)

<b>Just one comment though. It kinda sounds a little like the "Hey Hey" song no?</b>

You are thinking of Gary Glitter's "Rock and Roll Part 2" and, yes, it does have some similarities. That was the basic idea of the groove and the overall feel but just more refined, a completely different melody and chord structure and a march as opposed to that "dum da dum" floor tom and snare thing they do. Very astute of you there! :)

Thanks for all the comments. Keep 'em comin'.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

BINGO! :D

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Just to clarify, it isn't TheFreak that worked on this with me, it is the person on this board who goes by B Ball Freak. Also, my partner's name is George. You can find his info on the "about" page of the site. :)

11. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Thanks for the plug, baby!

:D

12. Fatty FatBastard

Jeff;

I don't know who said "As long as it's not like that Oiler's song" is, but they are completely mistaken.

The best part about the old Oiler's song was that you could scream it at the top of your lungs! ie. "sing it!" People who loved the Oiler's would sing with you, right there. People who didn't just shook their heads.

My input? Put more lyrics into it, so people can yell it while they are leaving!

I mean... Isn't that the point of a fight song?!?

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Well, technically, most fight songs have VERY few words. When you think about the big time fight songs like Michigan's or Notre Dame's, they are fairly short and to the point.

I understand the nostalgia of Houston Oilers #1, but out of 20 people I spoke with, 1 would agree with you. That is just the reality. Hell, the people I spoke to with the Texans felt that way!

I've been working on library music lately. Library music is royalty-free licenced music that you might hear in commercials or on corporate training videos or on a CD Rom. It is short bits of music that is licenced like software to a user but can be sold multiple times by the owner. The one thing that is absolutely true of commercial music like this is that it is short and to the point. You can always do extened versions (we have that plan in the works) or shorter versions (what they call "stingers"), but this is sort of the standard.

I know that some will feel beholden to the old song and that's cool. But, ask most people and they'll tell you they hated that song. Personally, I didn't hate it, but it is extremely dated. As for more words, I would be willing to bet that the majority of people don't remember anything beyond the chorus and the first verse of that song. I don't! :)

14. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Has anyone noticed how the old Oiler fight song was copied by the Miami Dolphins? Who originated that song and why wasnt it copywrited?

Can you shed any light on this Jeff?

"Cuz were the Miami Dolphins, Miami Dolphins, Miami Dolphins #1."

What the hell is that?? :mad:

15. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I think of "camp" as being along the lines of "so bad it's good". I certainly couldn't classify this one as bad.

I like the new song, though. It's just hard to let go of the classics :)

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I've heard the Miamin one. Ugh!

The original song was written by Don (sorry, don't know the last name) who used to own Don's Record Shop on Bellaire here in Houston. That was a GREAT place for records.

I ASSUME he still owns the copyright unless he just gave the song to the Oilers. The US Copyright Act of 1972 states that copyright licences last for 30 years before renewal is required, so, whoever owns it either licenced the use of it to Miami or the Dolphins are infringing on that copyright.

I've got to believe that they contacted the owner about using it. Miami didn't start using it until right about the time the Oilers were leaving Houston, so someone there must've either worked with the Oiler organization or heard the song and thought, "Geez, that would be cool here!"

That is NOT uncommon in fight songs, especially football. They are often used by other teams. Some college fight songs have been used in high school and even the pros. Adaptations like the Dolphins one are common as well.

17. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

It's so damn o.k.,,,it's good! ;)

18. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

Clutch I can understand, and I can't help but thank all the hard work Jeff put in for the stadium ref....but damn...he's the only one that scares me sometimes :)

19. Timing

Timing Member

LOL Great song. I like everything but the very beginning. Instead of move em to the right how about some "knock em down fight it out rock em sock em beat em down!" kinda stuff?

20. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Don Janicek

Mango

#20 Mango, Aug 16, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2001