1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

you gotta love Pedro...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, May 31, 2001.

Tags:
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

hehe

2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

heh.. Pedro is the best. [​IMG]

------------------
    All hail Fadeaway's Cyberfish -- your 2000-2001 BobFinn* Fantasy Basketball League Champions!

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Big talk Pedro. I get the feeling the Bambino could get a couple of hits off of you.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

This could get ugly.

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

5. heypartner

ooops...thx HOOP-T...I forgot my 4 smilies again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

WHEW.......

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

We are living amongst one of the greatest pitchers to ever play the game, and his name is Pedro. I like to compare players relative to their era. In this incredible offensive peiod of baseball history, Pedro is so good it's ridiculous. Last year he had the lowest ERA in the league...the next closest guy was nearly 2 runs behind him per nine innings. That's sick!! In my lifetime (I'm 27) Pedro is EASILY the greatest pitcher. I have never seen someone as automatic as him. I just hope people appreciate him given all the love for homeruns and big scores.

------------------

8. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

2001 World Series mvp. [​IMG]

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams and Lisa Malosky fan club.

atheistalliance.org

9. Band Geek Mobster

I don't know if Pedro should be talking about drilling people in the ass, especially after that editorial in Out magazine.

------------------
    I don't want to waste my time
    And become a casualty of society.
    I'll never fall in line
    Become a victim of your conformity and back down.

10. WhiteMagic02

WhiteMagic02 Member

I think Pedro may be the only guy in the league that actually could get away with being gay. Who's gonna get rid of Pedro??

------------------

11. heypartner

ugh!

Let me twist that a little to shed light on the ignorance...

"I think Clutch may be the only person on the bbs who could get away with being gay. Who's going to get rid of Clutch."

12. WhiteMagic02

WhiteMagic02 Member

Simply amazing is quite an understatement.

------------------

13. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

That without a doubt is the funniest sports quote I've ever heard. Move over Barkley....

------------------

14. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

SEE? The smilies work, they didn't even notice that other thing.

------------------

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Who, Aaron Sele?

------------------
    www.swirve.com
    "Pre-born, you're fine, pre-school, you're f*****."-George Carlin

16. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Pedro is still not as good as Tom "Terrific" Seaver.

------------------
    One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

17. MadMax

bobfinn -- you're nuts if you actually believe that! that was a pitcher's era, when scoring 5 runs was an anomaly. Today, Pedro consistently holds teams to below 2 runs, despite the fact none of his peers can do the same.

------------------

18. heypartner

and he does it in Fenway.
    and he does it in 32 starts, unlike the 40+ of old when they destroyed Koufax's arm.

and I do believe Pedro holds the record for strikeout per 9 innings.

19. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Max, I am serious. Todays pitchers are terrible, which makes Pedro look that much better. Ever wonder why team ERA's are 5.00 or higher? There are way to many pitchers in the Majors now that don't belong. Expansion has created this nightmare. Seaver also did not have a great hitting team helping him out.

Pitchers era? what about the hitters Seaver had to face? Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Bench, Rose... Some of the greatest hitters to ever play.

Pedro is a great pitcher...right now. Can he do it for an entire career? Only time will tell. When Pedro wins 300 games then we we can talk about greatest ever.

------------------
    One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

20. MadMax

bob --- as heypartner points out..he does do it in a hitter's park.

Seaver had a higher mound and, despite the great hitters you mentioned, in a lesser offensive era. There's no doubt about that. And it's not just the fact that there are pitchers who don't belong in the bigs today....there are lots of very good pitchers today. Clemens, Maddux, Johnson, Glavine just to name a few. Hitters are bigger and stronger and the ball is flying farther. Nevertheless, Pedro holds down scoring to pre-1987 levels. There is no one even close to him right now. Again, he's as automatic as any pitcher I've ever seen. Seaver was great, but he benefitted from an era of huge parks, higher mounds, looser balls, and smaller hitters. It's the same reason (just backwards) of why I feel Ruth is still the greatest slugger of all time. He hit 60 homeruns when the next highest individual total was 19!

If I had one game to win...and I could choose any pitcher from any era to play under the rules and conditions of today...I'd have to choose Pedro.

------------------