1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yordan Alvarez's potential?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockbox, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Ted Williams and Babe Ruth are offended by Alverez

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

No way Yordan sits with as hot as he’s been. Brantley will sit. I don’t think they’ll play Tucker in CF in the WS. They’ll just sit Brantley who didn’t hit in the ALCS and isn’t that great of a defender anyway.

Yordan The Great and King1 like this.
  3. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Incoming minimum 6 year, 180 million extensions to Tucker and/or Alvarez

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think it’ll be really hard to extend Tucker or Alvarez. Both players received big bonuses as amateurs, both seem highly intelligent, and Alvarez is an injury risk. Also neither plays a premium defensive position so their value is very tied to their bat. Garcia, Valdez, Urquidy, and Javier seem to be the biggest extension candidates to me. Wouldn’t shock me to see them extend Gurriel a year or two. Depending on the new CBA I could see Jeremy Pena signing an extension before he even comes up.

5. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Luckily, we have them in fold till end of 2025 so we could wait to see how next year goes. Having two top 15 players in baseball at such a young age is pretty phenomenal. We are lucky fans.

supaflyz, King1 and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Didn’t hit? We’re we watching the same games?

bases clearing double game 4? Didn’t he have like a 10+ game hitting streak going at one point?

msn and right1 like this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He had a 17 game post season batting streak that was broken during the Red Sox series. And while the bases clearing double was incredibly important, he did only post a .577 OPS.

The NL park options are to sit Yordan, Brantley or Tucker OR move Tucker to CF and Brantley to RF. If you don't sit the regular CFers, who would you choose to sit at this moment?

Snake Diggit and CrazyJoeDavola like this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

All I can say is that if Yordan still has the potential to get even better, we best lock him up this off-season before he discovers his true worth.

Ditto for Tucker.

HTXSportsAddict and javal_lon like this.
  9. Mattician

Mattician Member

I'd put Tucker in center. The lineup just isn't the same without those three lefties.

10. Jalen Green OnlyFan

None of these options sound good honestly.

The greedy part of me wants them all at the plate but an outfield of Alvarez at left, tucker at cf, and Brantley at right would be poor defensively.

To answer your question, yeah I’d sit Brantley if I don’t sit McCormick/siri/Meyers

Go braves, let’s get an extra game in the AL park lol.

11. right1

right1 Member

I think it was more than that. He's hitting .311 this post season.

Jalen Green OnlyFan likes this.
  12. bobrek

Including the ALDS, he is at .292 with an OPS of .726.

None of this is to denigrate or downplay Brantley at all. Just the conversational question as to, right now, what is your OF?

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My OF in Atlanta/LA would be RF Tucker, CF McCormick, LF Alvarez. Brantley would be my primary pinch hitter (for McCormick or Maldonado) in any close game where we are behind after 4 innings. Siri would be my pinch runner and backup CF.

travfrancis and Yordan The Great like this.
  14. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Altuve I think is going to go down as the best 2nd baseball over biggios. Can Alvarez go down as the biggest trade steal we ever got over bagwell?

15. Poloshirtbandit

Bagwell has advantage with the Gold Gloves. I don't think Yordan will ever be that level as a fielder.

16. right1

right1 Member

Hopefully, we only play 2 games at the NL park. That would mean a sweep for us. But, more likely we play 3, possibly 4 if the Dodgers. I think you have to start Alvarez, Tucker, Brantley unless possibly vs Urias (LH) and/or Morton (Brantley has not hit him well), but I would have to study the splits a little more. If we are up 2-0 going to ATL and Fried is starting, then perhaps go with Chas or Siri. A lot to consider.

17. bobrek

Or it means Houston gets swept. :)

18. right1

right1 Member

Not possible! Or we win in 5 against L.A

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Yordan The Great

no way no how this early