1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yordan Alvarez's potential?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockbox, Jul 7, 2019.

1. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

El Grande, that’s a great nickname for Yordan.

Plowman and vator like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No Worries likes this.
  4. theimpossibles1

Yordan Alvarez always knows the EXACT location of Carmen SanDiego.

Yordan Alvarez once challenged Lance Armstrong in a "Who has more testicles?" contest. Yordan Alvarez won by 5.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is based on a true story: Yordan Alvarez once swallowed a turtle whole, and when he crapped it out, the turtle was six feet tall and had learned karate.

5. vince

vince Member

Alvarez is 21 years old. And he has given the opposing teams plenty of info, but so far he has still managed to pounce on the ball... This defies the logical course most young hitters embark into MLB, where there is a constant period of adjustments back and forth, till one day the offensive display far exceeds the period of adjustments by the pitchers.

I think his potential is to hit for average and power... He’s already moved up in the batting order to the meat of the lineup, as a rookie on one of the best offensive clubs in the whole league.

But in a 10-15 year career, he will be at 500+ home runs. To me he has a feel of how Barry Bonds intimidated pitchers. Make a mistake and pay! Alvarez isn’t giving out any cheap swings, so you either walk him or you pitch mistake free, and well that isn’t too probable. The awesome thing is he isn’t a Chris Carter type, Alvarez isn’t about all or nothing, he has a total arsenal on the offensive front.

6. plee

plee Member

The big key is his plate discipline, rarely you see him chase. So pitchers can't throw the sweeping breaking ball and "hope" he chases. Just like teams have info on him, I think he getting info on the pitcher's so as he see's them more he will be better (kinda scary).

c1utchfan925 and vince like this.
  7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yordan's got a nice lock on the ROY in the AL now. He's tied for 1st in WAR with Brandon Lowe (who is shut down for the season), despite 50 fewer plate appearances (and not playing a defensive position).

Among AL rookies with 100 plate appearances, he is:
    1st in OPS
    1st in OBP
    1st in SLG
    1st in RBI
    2nd in HR (1 behind Eloy Jimenez now... in ~130 fewer ABs)
    2nd in BA (.006 behind Luis Arraez)
    3rd in 2B
    4th in BB (good shot at ending in 3rd, outside shot at 2nd)
    8th in runs (7 back of 2nd)
    11th in hits (5 back of fifth)

Across the majors (min 150 PA), he's in a heat with Mike Trout for fewest AB/HR, and leads everyone in ISO. His RC/27 (Runs Created per 27 outs) is 3rd behind the 2 likely MVPs -- Trout and Yelich.

gatsby, jnuge90, c1utchfan925 and 5 others like this.
  8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Dude is just amazing! We were are lamenting the fact we didn't get a big bat this off season, but our GM knew we had a big bat ready to go. I wonder if he had any idea Yordan would be this good?

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm pretty sure that they knew he was going to be good. I don't think anyone knew he was transition seamlessly to major league pitching. I think he just has the personality to embrace the big stage. He really gets pissed when he doesn't drive home a run like he expects to do it at every opportunity.

11. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I repeat with a slight tweak...

His potential is multiple Triple Crowns.

vince likes this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Then you will be severely disappointed. There have only been 12 in the entirety of baseball and only 1 in the last 50 years.

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yet he is putting up first year numbers comparable to Ted Williams.

(Baseball Almanac tells me there have been 15 individuals who hit for the Triple Crown with Williams and Rogers Hornsby doing it twice to make it 17 times.)

chievous minniefield likes this.
  14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'm bad at counting, but that doesn't change my opinion. Yordan will not win multiple triple crowns and it's doubtful he will win even one. I'd love to be wrong.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

You're not bad at counting, you are just a stickler for official stats. RBIs was not always kept as a stat. There have been 12 Triple Crowns using official stats. There were 5 Triple Crowns retroactively discovered based on historians digging through box scores and news clippings. One of those 5 wasn't even in the NL or AL.

bobrek likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Let him win the rookie triple crown first... then he can move on to amongst all players.

Gotta start somewhere.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Well, he did say “entirety of baseball.”

18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"He's ok", said the man with no clue he would become the best hitter to ever wear an Astros jersey. "He's pretty good for a rookie", said the sportscaster who had no idea he was witnessing a young man who would one day shatter the record books.

19. Buck Turgidson

11 times in Japan

rimrocker likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

If we're gonna aim high, I say we aim high: Yaz in '67 is the only player to win the Quadruple Crown (hits also). He actually won the Quintuple Crown that year: led the AL in BA, H, HR, R, RBI. He also led in OBP, SLG, OPS+, TB and won a GG. Only finished 3rd in 2B and 4th in BB though.