1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yo dads, Kids in the hall or Mr. Show, go!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Nov 24, 2015.

Tags:
?

Best Sketch Comedy Shows of all time

1. SNL (Sigh)

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Kids In The Hall

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. Mr Show

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. The State

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. Chappelle Show

16 vote(s)
    42.1%
  6. SCTV

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  7. In Living Color

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  8. The State

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  9. upright citizens brigade

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  10. Hee Haw

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. VanityHalfBlack

People tell me about The State, as one of the great sketch comedy shows ever, so I need to check that out. I see Chappelle show being thrown in the mix. SNL???? Please, SNL suxx so don't even bring that noise in here. For the older dads, is SCTV in the discussion as one of the best sketch comedy shows ever? Me personally, it's either KITH or Mr Show that goes in the Cannon of the greats.

2. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

The greatest comedy is this basketball team called the Rockets.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

What exactly do you mean by SNL sucks? The show has been on for 41 years. Are you saying it's always sucked? Because that'd be a bunch of BS. If you want to say that it sucks now or there have been times when it's sucked, then yeah. But you can't write off the entire show.

Aside from that, with the exception of Hee Haw, I've been a fan of all those shows. Particularly Mr. Show, UCB, and Kids in the Hall. I'd also add The Carol Burnett Show, Tracy Ullman Show, Monty Python's Flying Circus, and Whitest Kids U Know to the list.

4. VanityHalfBlack

Yes snl sux, except for maybe the Phil Hartman years. Being on air for 41 years doesn't mean 41 years of good sketches.

5. VanityHalfBlack

I don't find British humor funny, Monty python is lame.

6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Where the hell is Mad TV?

7. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

The State is so good you listed it twice to split up votes! It's THAT good!! ;)

8. VanityHalfBlack

**** I forgot that one.

9. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

10. VanityHalfBlack

I need to reconsider and give British humor a shot. They got jokes.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No mention of You Can't Do That On Television? :)

12. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I loved Upright Citizens Brigade which I voted for. Very underrated I thought but 90s SNL might be my fav. I didnt vote for it thought since it has been so bad the last 10 years or so.

13. GIGO

GIGO Member

Instead of doubling The State, why not adding Reno 911! by the same creators?

Other 90s shows with great casts:
    The Ben Stiller Show (Great cast, great writers!)
    The Edge (Julie Brown was a treasure. I liked Jennifer Aniston in this show, but not so much in any other shows.)
    She TV (Jennifer Coolidge ruled.)

And the short-lived US version of Thank God You're Here (2007). With the guests like Bryan Cranston and Jane Lynch, you can really see how brilliant improv skits can be.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cZ19KnbMKp4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_FeRrojhQOs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Whose Line is it Anyway count? I suppose it's more improv... but certainly a good one.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm a huge Kids in the Hall fan so that's my #1. The Chappelle show does give it a run for its money because that was truly some amazing skits but I do deduct a point for the short life.

Honorable mention to In Living Color though, that show was on complete fire. I actually watched a random episode while channel surfing the other day and each skit was more than solid.

16. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

key & peele should be on that list too. i cant think of another show that was as consistently funny from sketch to sketch. their batting average beats all others, imo.

they have been around for so long that snl has more crap than anyone else, but also more all time classics. they are the beatles of sketch comedy.

17. VanityHalfBlack

Damn I thought this was going to be pro Mr show, being all Hollywood hipster in all. Chappelle show fans is still kickin ass! Look at that poll.

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

Chappelle is GOAT in my opinion, but I understand going another direction because of its short run.

People still quote chappelle on the regular.

19. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

British humour is king

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mr. Show to me is the best ever.

SCTV is probably second. Their satires and spoofs were second to none. The rendition of Midnight Cowboy with John Candy (the Jon Voight character) and Eugene Levy (the Dustin Hoffman character) with the exact same camera shots, and music. It was brilliant.

The battle of the PBS network stars was as ingenious of an idea as anyone could think of.

And Rick Moranis doing a hilarious version of the Police De Do Do Da Da Da song.

Maudlin's 11 parody of the original Ocean's 11 film is hilarious. They were different than anyone else in the game. SCTV definitely deserves to be up there.

The State was great. The actors on it were wildly funny, but it just barely misses the cut. It had the hits but also its share of misses.

1 person likes this.