1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yi Jian Lian to enter NBA 2007 Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by kingkow, Nov 2, 2006.

1. kingkow

kingkow Member

Chinese Version:
    link

--------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry for my poor English (although I'm already a 3rd year Uni student) :)

Approx Translation

Yi Jian Lian has been approved by his CBA team to enter his name into the NBA 2007 Draft.

According to the documents of Chinese Basketball Association, there must be consent approval from both the clubhouse and the CBA. Yi is only allowed to enter the draft where he is going to get guarantee playing time, according to sources close to board of CBA. Last year the Guangdong clubhouse denying rumors of Yi joining the 06’ Class, claiming it was a decision from both the player and the clubhouse not to rush through and declare drafting. At the same time clubhouse claims Yi’s talents are not NBA ready.

At the beginning of the CBA season, the Guangdong went 10-1 in 11 games, leading the CBA league thanks to Yi’s presence. On November 2nd, the clubhouse announced that they would allow Yi to make a name of himself in the NBA draft.

06 draft is one with relatively little talent because it was the first year where the NBA restricts high school’ers to declare draft status, in addition to that many college players decides to play one more year of college ball. Next year (07 draft) should be way more interesting because it will feature feature NBA All-star potential players such as Greg Oden and Joahkim Noah.Yi is currently listed at #6 on NBAdraft.net 07 mock draft, surpassing college stars such as Brandon Wright of UNC, L.R. Mbah a Moute of UCLA and Arizona’s Marcus Williams, and just behind of Noah with 3 places

[​IMG]

- Was a bit rushed there enjoy reading

2. wingz0

wingz0 Member

The early mock draft you have there is tentative at best. I don't believe Joakim Noah will still be that high after this coming NCAA season. Remember, before March Madness he was practically well under the radar.

I don't know about Yi. Personally, I think his growth has definitely plateaued in the CBA. I think we'll have to see how much he can grow and how fast in the NBA. The potential is certainly there, but right now, I don't think he's really Top 10 material. I think 12 would just be about right for him.

3. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

What's his stats like playing in the CBA? Remember Yao was dominating the CBA before he came to the NBA, his stats for last few years in the CBA was ridiculous.

4. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I hope he falls to us.......
    If he falls to us, I hope we select him.....

5. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

it would be the twin towers reborn.. :D

6. rocketman1979

he's going to have to learn to stop hanging monkey style on the rim. :D
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pq8hyNaaaWc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pq8hyNaaaWc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z-nfAJJJV_M"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z-nfAJJJV_M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

7. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

<a href="http://www.draftexpress.com/mock.php?y=2007">Draft Express</a>, which is usually more accurate throughout the year, IMHO, has him listed at #14 ...

8. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

He pwned Gasol in that play.

9. AXG

AXG Member

I think Yi would be a solid addition to the team, but unless the Rockets tank this season, it isn't likely they'll draft him because he's projected as a lottery pick. Some scenarios would be a trade or sign him as a free agent.

10. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

ur right that was gasol, he made him look like a rookie

11. jsnwu

jsnwu Member

After the first 11 rounds, Yi's average stats are:

PTS 2p 3p FT REB OR DR ASS STL DUNK BLK TO F
    25.9 102-192 1-8 78-98 12.4 3.72 8.72 0.72 2.27 2.27 2.45 2.54 3.36

He ranked 5th in PTS, 4th in REB, 3rd in BLK, 10th in STL, 1st in DUNK.

I am not quite familiar with current CBA, but more and more US players who failed to get contracts from NBA coming into CBA is the trend, IMHO. So the level of competing in CBA is much higher than 4 years ago.

12. GreatRox

GreatRox Member

5ppg, 4rpg 1blk 4to 3.5pf 0.3stl rookie stats
    10 min or less per game

40 pct FG 65pct FT

got waived in his juinor year.

That's his story, i predict.

13. Panda

Panda Member

There is no way Yi isn't NBA material.

14. adoo

adoo Member

one play doesnot a NBA career make.

I remembered in one play where Mengke Bateer made Shaq look silly
    that's what some had say about WangZhiZhi.

15. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Dude, either you have reading comprehension problem or you have quoted the wrong post.

Where have I said that play has make anyone a NBA career?

I said he pwned Gasol in that play. What do you not agree with it? Or what do you not understand about it?

#15 RocketForever, Nov 4, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  16. Panda

Panda Member

Wang is a different type of player. He doesn't have NBA speed, athleticism and is soft. I watched Yi play many times and he is NBA material IMO. So save me your Wang talk.

17. wingz0

wingz0 Member

That sounds just mildly...disturbing...Haha. Wang talk.

Anyway, You gotta remember, Yi is playing with greatly inferior competition. And with a big man's game touted as being based on athleticism, it's just hard to judge whether he's just appearing fast compared to relatively unathletic opponents, or if he really possesses world-class athleticism at his size.

Yao was different. Yao's game has always been simple and finesse, and he pretty much dominated with his height anyway, which translates well to just about any competition he plays against.

18. Panda

Panda Member

Yi showed good athleticism in the WBC against the USA and Spain. On that front he didn't pale in comparison to the NBA stars.

19. TexasRanger41

TexasRanger41 Member

Yi is tall and has range out to the 3pt line. Mabye he won't become a star, but I think he's definitely NBA material.

20. rocketman1979

Girlfriend of basketball player Yi Jianlian
    [​IMG]