1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yes, Sarah, There is a Media Conspiracy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Nov 24, 2009.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd say Matt Taibbi nails some of the key dynamics of political reporting here. It's not often you get such a clear-eyed view of what really drives the media.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I won't go as far as saying there is a media conspiracy, but there is certainly a mob mentality in the media.

I haven't watched enough Palin to really determine how much i like or dislike of her, just enough to know she doesn't need to have any significant power.

To be fair and honest in comparison with the liberal dislike of Palin, Biden is easily just as much as a joke. We do not see the media exposing that in Biden and he's the friggen vice president, yet the continue to berate on the woman, at most, who might make congress once day.

3. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

There is a quite a difference between Joe Biden and Sarah Palin. Years of public service, advanced degrees, etc., but basically it comes down to the fact that Joe Biden is an educated, experienced, intelligent guy who says some stupid things occasionally and Sarah Palin who is a uneducated, inexperienced, back-woods idiot who reveals her incredible ignorance on a daily basis.

1 person likes this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

im guess i agree with this. i mean doesnt palin have a 4 year degree at a state school? its almost like some people are wanting to vote for highschool class president.

5. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fixed that for you.....your welcome.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

wow that was a good comeback.

*Nominated for clutchfans classic post.

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Hey! Come on now, a lot of thought went into that post.

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Fixed that for you. You're welcome.

1 person likes this.
  9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I recently went to a talk by Helen Thomas the incredibly old reporter who asks tough questions of the presidents at their press conferences. She said that there was such pressure on reporters by the higher ups in NYC to support the Iraq War that if a TV reporter for instance raid the script given to them or aksed the appropriate questions, there was still sometimes feedback that their facial features did not show enough belief in the answers they were receiving.

I'm sure she would by with Matt Taibbi.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Taibbi never says there isn't a mob mentality. he gave you the reasons why there is, why sarah is the classic "victim" of it. the difference between biden and palin is mccain bet his entire campaign on his vp pick. palin was a lot more important to her candidate

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

By Taibbi's logic, Biden had a powerful friend -- Obama -- that the press had already decided was first tier, legit, etc. Palin had only McCain, who was second tier, probably because of the widespread assumption that Bush ruined everything for the Republican party. So McCain wasn't much of a defense for Palin and once she lost him, it only got worse.

12. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I think Palin just set herself up to get reamed by the press.

She's stupid, but bizarrely arrogant. Combine this with a small dose of hypocrisy and contempt for the press and you'll get eaten alive.

13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

That was the only... and I mean only option the Repubs had in 2000. He had to come off looking good for there to be a horse race.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the biggest free ride to the white house EVA.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Seriously?? Man, that has to be the lamest attempt at a poo flinging post in the history of the D&D.

Posts like this actually make me miss trader_jorge. At least he was funny. And I'm not talking about the watered-down version (mojoman) either.

17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

on that note, she came out of nowhere guns blazing - her first speech after getting the vp nod was full of "im a pitbull w/ lipstick" bravado. she was going around saying her opponent "pals around w/ terrorists".

right out of the gate her rhetoric invited a negative reception.

18. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And calling someone an uneducated, ignorant, idiot, isn't as you so elegantly said "poo-flinging", gimme a break. :rolleyes: I mean, I am by far not a Palin supporter, but I do get tired of the personal attacks on people, especially when others do it behind some anonymous user name, so easy to do.

I try and stay away from the D&D as much as possible, but every once in awhile will come in here to read some of this stuff for entertainment value, reading you guys go back and forth. I mean bottom line is 90% of you follow the democratic playbook and can't say a nice thing about the other side, 5% of you follow the republican playbook (and also can't say anything nice about the other side), and possibly 5% that actually follow their own - but I do get tired of the personal, unwarranted attacks on people - that part to me is not necessary.

But I guess for you it is necessary, at least if it is aimed at someone or something you disagree with............

This is why I stay out of the D&D and a good thing I do and probably need to, granted you would appreciate it, as you can spend your time I guess reading trader jorge.

19. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Actually, I have a doctorate degree, which beats the hell out of Palin and I would guess, you too.

She is an idiot in the classic greek sense; she chooses not to avail herself of pertinent information and chooses not to participate, i.e. quitting the Governor's office.

She is also a moron, if that makes you feel better.