1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yellowstone in April

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SmeggySmeg, Oct 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Did a search, and think there was one old thread about Yellowstone.....

Planning a trip back state side next April and after our awesome Yosemite visit last time, thinking about Yellowstone...

been reading a bit but love to get people's perspective on visiting in April, which seems like will still be cold and roads closed?

best entry point?

does closed road means, tours only? and if so any recommendations?

thanks

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yellowstone is 8,000 ft up. Roads closed in Yellowstone often means no motorized vehicles. At best, snowmobiles. If it's closed, that means it's closed.

maybe some years, but this year? April will be too early, imo. We are going to get a lot of snow again. Last year was our biggest in like 25 years, and they expect more.

When you research, try to look up the exact dates last year that the roads opened. And which ones. They should list them. I'll ask around too.

Also note, tell your daughter, that they close some roads in April, because the bears are coming out of hibernation.

And they are H U N G R Y !

3. SmeggySmeg

so what the whole park is shut for winter?

there are whole sections of book and website about travelling their in winter….

mmmmm bears

4. SmeggySmeg

you still in boulder?

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I have a friend that all about this stuff. She's a photographer. She knows so much stuff about places like this. She told me how you have to ride a horse to get to some if the places

6. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Yellowstone is one of the most amazing places on earth. Period. So much better than, say, the Grand Canyon (which is also amazing). So many things to see and each thing is different than the last thing you just saw. Incredible.

I went in October, which was great. Summer crowds were gone and I had the whole park to myself. A great experience.

But already in October, the NE entrance was closed. The best entrance is definitely the north, after you get in the park. But the drive in from the east, before you get to the park, is stunning. I came in the from the east and left the north. Happy with that choice. South entrance is mostly trees and not sure about the west.

I'm pretty sure though, not much, if anything, is open in April to auto-traffic. If it IS open, you should do it cause there won't be any traffic.

7. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I went in August and the weather was very nice. I had never been to a National Park before and did not know what to expect. Of course I figured it would have to be pretty cool if it was a National Park but man, was I wrong. It totally blew my mind how awesome it was.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, but, you are talking about Late April. There is a reason I never go to Yellowstone in Late April and Early May.

Do you want to guess why?

SmeggySmeg, I've asked around town and will ask more, but so far, krosfyah's input is the best.

All I can get is the park turns into a snowmobile park. I think the north entrance is best in Spring,,,,but these Coloradoans are surprisingly unknowledgeable of April/May in the park.

I think it just so busy in the Summer, noone goes there, and we don't consider it in April vs Skiing in Summit County, with our Epic Passes

But I'll meet you, except for the whole late April thing...which is not a snow thing...it's a Houston thing.

9. SmeggySmeg

from what i can work out you can do snowmobile or snow bus tours....

late april, thats the playoffs!!!!!!!! will not be in yellowstone then

10. SmeggySmeg

anyone been to some of the National Park in the NW around Seattle?

11. TheresTheDagger

I grew up and currently live in Billings, MT...about 120 miles from Yellowstone. I've been there at least 20 times in my life through every entrance. I would definitely advise you to consider avoiding Yellowstone in the spring. Spring in the Rockies looks a lot like Winter except the weather is less predictable. You will most likely get a lot of precipitation and a very good chance that it is snow. If its NOT snowing, then it's probably melting/muddy and the temperatures will be in the 20's-40's range. Also, you risk some of the iconic spots and entrances being either closed or unreachable during that time of year. The good thing about visiting during April will be you will miss the crowds and it should also be less expensive.

However, the absolute best time to visit Yellowstone IMHO is during late September-Early October. The weather is still ok, the crowds are gone and the scenery is spectacular with the fall foilage so pretty. Also, the NW entrance through Cooke City and Silver Gate are still open (check before you go for early snowstorms) and is BY FAR the most spectacular and beautiful terrain on your way into Yellowstone. If you decide to go the NW entrance, be prepared for a very high switchback type highway. Beartooth pass is approximately 10,000 feet and you WILL be above treeline. I would not recommend taking a large motor home, but otherwise, you will be so glad you made this drive.

The other entrance I like (which is much easier to navigate) is the southern entrance. On the way in, you will be in Grand Teton National Park with the beautiful Grand Tetons and Lake Jackson to look at. Jackson Hole is at the southern end of Grand Teton and about 60 miles away. It is a fantastic little resort town with lots of fun saloons, shopping, restraunts, and summer theatre to keep you entertained.

To be honest though, there really isn't a bad entrance to Yellowstone. Heading north out of the West Yellowstone entrance towards Bozeman is gorgeous as you follow the Madison river. The North entrance takes you through Paradise Valley on the way towards Livingston, MT...also very spectacular. Its a great vacation spot. Can't really go wrong with any of it. :)

1 person likes this.
  12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

We day tripped out of Jackson Hole ... love Jackson Hole, would live there.
    There is a direct flight from Houston to Jackson and the landing there is quite exciting, dropping in over mountain peaks in a 777.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't myself but was a consultant for a couple of projects in Olympic National Park. Unfortunately didn't get to make a site visit. From what I saw though it was very beautiful with temperate rainforests, alpine lakes and even some skiing up on Hurricane Ridge.