1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[YCT at it again] Conservative Group to Hold Mock Immigration Sting at UT

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jayhow92, Nov 18, 2013.

1. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

The Young Conservatives of Texas- UT Chapter is now trying to have a "Catch an Illegal Immigrant" event. I guess the affirmative bake sale wasn't controversial enough.

https://www.facebook.com/events/570575573015284/?ref=22

http://www.texastribune.org/2013/11/18/conservative-group-hold-mock-immigration-sting-ut/

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Why can't they just be like normal college kids spending their days getting drunk, having sex with strangers, and half-worried/half-nonchalant about what they're going to do when they graduate with no job?

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What type of "discussion" could they spark when all they are doing is a giant circle jerk of people who hate illegal immigrants?
    Circle Jerk member 1: " Illegal Immigrants are bad!"
    Circle jerk member 2: "I agree!"

Is this what they consider as a "discussion" in UT? Have standards there dropped significantly?

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Not compared to some of the genuinely disruptive, self-defeating and violent crap that students did in the '60s and '70s.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

conservatives...what a surprise.

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

That just sounds like a waste of gift cards.

Why not bring in a keynote speaker on illegal immigration, like a politican or someone, you know do what most student political groups do.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Sadly there will be people on our campus that despite disagreeing with the fundamental ideologies of the radical conservatives... will participate just for the $25 gift cards.
    Same people that humiliated themselves and abandoned their pride and dignity to get discounted brownies during the affirmative action bake sale.

As much as I maintain that every group should have their voice heard. These YCT people are the UT equivalent to the Westboro Baptist Church a.k.a. A bunch of morons.
    They should not be officially recognized. I welcome a far more moderate conservative group, a group that actually has a grasp of common sense and isn't as inflammatory as these fools, to take their place because they are making us ALL look bad.

Its a damn shame when people associate our school, city with these morons just because they yell the loudest.

#7 RedRedemption, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  8. DwightHoward13

I got my cupcake for free. I pretended I was a Native American woman.

9. DwightHoward13

Claiming they are just as bad as Westboro lowers your opinions to their level. Let me give some examples of Westboro beliefs:

"Westboro Baptist refers to Catholic priests as "vampires" and "Draculas" and talks of Catholic priests sucking semen out of male children's genitals like vampires suck blood from their victims. In addition, WBC called Pope Benedict XVI such epithets as "The Godfather of Pedophiles" and "Pervert Pope". In April 2008 the WBC protested Pope Benedict XVI during a papal visit in New York City."

"The WBC has described the Holocaust as God's punishment on Jews."

"The Westboro Baptist Church believes that Barack Obama is the Antichrist and that he forms an unholy trinity with Satan and Pope Benedict XVI, whom they believe is the False Prophet."

"The Church has previously condemned particular nations, such as Italy, which it described as a nation of "mobster-breeding perverts" and Australia, which it describes as the "land of the sodomite damned"."

Don't make such ridiculous claims. Ever. You will get burned.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this is good. We need to have more of these kinds of events to publicize the stupidity of the Tea Party.

11. Pringles

Pringles Member

They just announced a statement saying they will be having "Ring around the Korean" instead of "Catch the illegal immigrant." If you successfully toss a ring around a Korean, you get a five dollar gift card to...

Panda Express!

Where do I sign up? :)

12. RedRedemption

UT equivalent != as bad as.
    The YCT are demonstrative nutjobs, plain and simple.

Don't get so worked up defending your fellow conservative brethren, especially ones as clueless and bigoted as the YCT.
    Of course by all means if you support bigoted events like the affirmative action bake sale and "hunt the illegal immigrant" then go ahead and keep defending them.

Politics has completely trounced morality and common sense. Actively attempting to disenfranchise and demonize people just to score some cheap political points.

13. DwightHoward13

No, I do not defend them, but they have free speech. In my opinion, Westboro's funeral picketing goes past free speech. This event is way over-the-top; a debate of the issue would be a palpable improvement over this idea. My bake sale comment was a sarcastic joke; I did not go near nor see their bake sale. Your ethical appeal falls short as it overreacts to the situation. They are NOT the equivalent of Westboro! You cannot say this claim in a rational way.

14. RedRedemption

My point is the YCT are right wing nutjobs, or at the very least a bunch of spoiled rich kids. I'm not saying that they are as bad as Westboro man, but relative to the rest of the population at UT they are far out there.

Regardless, the point I'm also trying to make is that it is in EVERYONE's best interest conservatives and liberals alike to replace that group with a more moderate and reasonable one. Not trying to stifle free speech, but openly racist events should not be held on campus and they continue to abuse their freedom of speech time and time again.

15. DwightHoward13

I agree with nearly everything you said in that post. I cannot agree with your use of the word "racist." One cannot equivocate racism with illegal immigration. Illegal immigration is made up of almost every race, and we do not know if they are referring to Hispanic illegal immigrants or not. It would be preferable if people would stop calling everything they do not agree with racist.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes, we have no idea where these people come from when they sneak across the border. They're probably Australian.

17. RedRedemption

Come on man. You are purposely being obtuse here.
    If they are referencing the illegal immigration debate it is about Hispanic illegal immigration.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'm sure these idiots will be referring to Mexicans and Mexicans only. But there are a ton of illegal people in this country. Just illegal Chinese people in NYC for example. TONS! : )

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I just read in 2005 there were 535000 illegal immigrants in NYC alone. I'm pretty sure they are all not Mexican.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No way, not even close.