1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's next contract, wherever it may be

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by H-TownBBall, Nov 18, 2010.

1. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

When I say reasonable...I am talking about MLE to less than 8 million.

2. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

First, he needs to prove he can stay healthy and still be able to contribute on the court.

Then, we can talk about how much he deserves.

3. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

You are a ****ing joke!

Oh I get it now. You’re not even a Rockets’ fan. Your sole mission is to hate on Yao and praise your boy Tracy. I’m starting to think this is your **** talking handle and you’re too much of a sissy to come out with your real one.

Do us all a favor… go ride Tracys’ nuts on the Pistons board.

4. nodstonothing

nodstonothing Member

He isn't going to prove that he can stay health this year, he's already gotten injured and the Rockets keep slowly revealing more info that makes it seem as if the injury is way more serious than originally thought. By the time he gets back, half the season will already be over.

5. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

We have 70 games left, if he manage to play 50+ and put up decent number in the 50 games, there will be teams willing to give him more than MLE. Some GMs are just dumb.

6. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

If Yao does all that he will deserve MLE because there just aren't that many good Cs in the league, has nothing to do with stupidity.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Vet's min, that's the only thing he deserves based on the fact he only plays like 20 % of the season

8. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Yao knows that the rockets fans are against him now. He will not resign with the rockets.

9. Raven

Raven Member

If he bounces in and out of the lineup, he's not worth bringing back at any price, because of the disruption to team chemistry.

10. justcome

justcome Member

You mean the chemistry that got Rockets 42 wins last years?

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

No it won't. The best they could muster would be MLE $. The Rockets can easily top that. And Yao is old school loyal.

EDIT: And that MLE could turn into 2X an MLE in LTAX $ as the CHeat are in LTAX range now and next season.

12. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Maybe, Yao can accept MLE to join Heat because he has a chance to win a ring before he retires, the rockets can not top that. Yao's time on NBA seems to be over quickly, sad to say, but could be true. Is Yao a restricted free agent next year?

13. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

I don't want to see Yao re-signed if he never gets back to 100%. Some good options at center are going to hit the market this summer including Dalembert and Nene.

14. lalala902102001

I hope that the Rockets do not resign Yao. The chance of him staying healthy for a full season is zero. The Yao era is over -- it was wonderful at times but for the most part was not a success. The Rockets need to move on and find their next franchise player and they can't do so if they still think that Yao Ming is their center piece. As for Yao, his best years as an NBA player are behind him and it will be best for him to join a contender and become a part time player like Shaq is these days -- he might even get a ring.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's a dynamic I hadn't considered before.

Even apart from that, I wonder about the common wisdom that Les will never let Yao go because of his impact on revenues. I don't think I'm ready to assume that.

1. Les likes to win.

2. Les knows that he will sooner or later need to go into Yao-withdrawal. The dude won't play forever, regardless of how important he might be.

3. The transition will go more smoothly if the Rockets determine the schedule. If you were running a going concern, would you ding your competitiveness in years 3 - 10 to pull in more revenues in years 1 and 2?

16. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Pay him per game :)

17. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

How many of you really think Yao can fully recover? This just doesn't happen for an injury-prone player, especially someone 7'6". No one has crystal ball, so the Rockets has to make a decision based on what they have and what they know. It is possible that Yao's foot has fully healed, and he can get back to close to his old form. But let's be realistic, based on his health history, Yao will be a part-time player for the next couple of years at the best. I'm not sure if that's enough for the Rockets to tied the franchise to it.

From Yao's position, I think he should just choose to retire while people still remember him as an all-star. He has enough money, and he doesn't need people to remember his as another 'Big-Z'.

#57 daoshi, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think Yao can recover.

Then shatter his other foot in a completely unrelated injury.

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

A low ball contract of a maximum of 10 mil/yr to stay with the HR.
    A minimum might be a struggle ! A short lived contract :p :p

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Unless it is for like 5 mill a year for 2 years with the last year partially guaranteed, I do NOT want this useless glass footed giant anywhere near my beloved Rockets. He is nothing but a burden for the team. Like I give a **** how much money he pushes under the table?